No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: They like it but...

Originally posted by mesmerist View Post
    "Lure them in to develop their material." Yes, that's just evil. Run, writers, run! Avoid having your material developed by a management/prodco with a proven track record, at all costs!
    I hope you aren't trying to twist my words to make my advice sound bad. They accept ALL queries. Do you know how many writers from the middle of no where gets excited when they can say, "A management company wants to read my script!". And you know how many more get excited when they are told that management company wants to read more? I know people who are developing their material. Some say they are on a Representation wait list until AFTER the material is developed. If you are a hungry writer and want to spend 6 months developing material for no pay, which COULD NOT sell/be produced -- by all means, go for it.
    ScreenQuery.com | $5.50 Query Blast Service
    ScreenQuery Monthly Genre Contests - Coming Soon!

Comment

Originally posted by ScreenQuery View Post
      I hope you aren't trying to twist my words to make my advice sound bad. They accept ALL queries. Do you know how many writers from the middle of no where gets excited when they can say, "A management company wants to read my script!". And you know how many more get excited when they are told that management company wants to read more? I know people who are developing their material. Some say they are on a Representation wait list until AFTER the material is developed. If you are a hungry writer and want to spend 6 months developing material for no pay, which COULD NOT sell/be produced -- by all means, go for it.
      Since when have there ever been any guarantees in this business? I must have missed that memo.

The spec market is in a bad way right way. Managers in general are being a lot more selective about the projects they send out, and are choosing to spend more time in the development process with their clients, in the interest of sending out only the best, most competitive scripts. I don't really see what the downside is to having a rep who's willing to work with you and help you develop your work to its maximum potential -- especially when that rep has recent, bona fide sales to their credit.

Comment

I hope you aren't trying to twist my words to make my advice sound bad. .
        Who you trying to kid here? It's very clear you feel the writer's are being 'used'. Don't make excuses now -- just like you did when called out on outing the company.

Comment

Whatever you guys say -- Obviously you both have been in the business far longer than me.

Comment

Whatever you guys say -- Obviously you both have been in the business far longer than me.
            Got nothing to do with that. Got to do with your actions on this thread.

Comment

My actions in this thread? I was simply answering the question based on my experience with hundreds of aspiring writers.
              1. Writer A sends query.
              2. Writer A gets excited when Company B requests a copy.
              3. Company B reads it -- if they don't like it, no response. If they do like it, they will ask for more loglines.
              4. Out of those loglines, they will choose one script -- maybe two.
              5. If they like the second script, you will get another response :
              Eric Williams sends a response to the tune of : "The writing is good and I believe you have what it takes to become a working writer. However, I do not believe this script will sell as we have had a hard time selling similar scripts in this genre. I'd like to bring you on to develop one of our more commercial ideas."

This similar email has been sent to at least eight writers I know. They all passed, and found other opportunities with other companies.

Like I said in my original post : Good way to start.

Comment

Eric Williams sends a response to the tune of : "The writing is good and I believe you have what it takes to become a working writer. However, I do not believe this script will sell as we have had a hard time selling similar scripts in this genre. I'd like to bring you on to develop one of our more commercial ideas."

This similar email has been sent to at least eight writers I know. They all passed, and found other opportunities with other companies.
                If this is true, I find it at least lame. I have already put a "CAUTION" sign in my query db for future reference.

I don't see any problem with Screenquery coming in here and sharing his knowledge/experiences. I appreciate all intel as long as it is legit.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
                  I appreciate all intel as long as it is legit.
                  There is only one way to find out. Submit your best script to them and see where it goes and what it leads to.

Comment

For what it's worth....

According to the sales archive, Zero Gravity has been involved in three sales in the past year and Pierce Williams wasn't the producer on any of them. Maybe Pierce-Williams was behind the scenes, but one of the sales was off of a pitch. Not sure how much development goes on for a pitch.

Comment

There is only one way to find out. Submit your best script to them and see where it goes and what it leads to.
                      I am not questioning your credibility, Screenquery. On the contrary.

I have submitted to Zero Gravity in the past. I guess I am not good enough for them even to do pro bono work. Which is great... It saves me time and trouble in writing a polite "*** you" letter.

Since you mentioned their practices though, I doubt I will submit to them ever again. I am not that desperate

Comment

It is not unusual for managers/producers to invite a writer, based on his or her spec, to work on a project or idea in-house.

There are those managers who will try to sell the writer's specs, and not develop.

Either route could launch a career.

If your only objection to the first route is a protest against "writing for free," then you harbor a great illusion. A writer always writes a spec for free; that is usually part of the definition of spec.

The advantage of the first option is that it is a little more likely to lead to a greenlight, not just an option or sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
                          It is not unusual for managers/producers to invite a writer, based on his or her spec, to work on a project or idea in-house.

There are those managers who will try to sell the writer's specs, and not develop.

If your only objection to the first route is a protest against "writing for free," then you harbor a great illusion. A writer always writes a spec for free; that is usually part of the definition of spec.

The advantage of the first option is that it is a little more likely to lead to a greenlight, not just an option or sale.
                          Farnsworth, there are so many variables for why a script gets greenlit. It is naive and foolish to say that if you develop a script with a manager, it is more likely to lead to a greenlight. You have no evidence to back that claim up.
                          Last edited by mrjonesprods; 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM.
                          https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

I'd rather do pro bono work on my ideas, not somebody's else
                            Last edited by spacefarer; 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrjonesprods View Post
                              Farnsworth, there are so many variables for why a script gets greenlit. It is naive and foolish to say that if you develop a script with a manager, it is more likely to lead to a greenlight. You have no evidence to back that claim up.
                              Whenever a writer works on a project with a manager/producer, the latter is usually more invested in it. Like my rep/producer, if he cannot find another producer to attach to the project, he will produce it himself. You're more likely to get a project greenlit because the rep/producer is more invested in it, and because you not only have a rep, but a producer backing the project.

Most reps who do not produce may get the script sold, but getting it greenlit is a much different matter.

Until you have a produced project, you are always writing without a paycheck. Even professional writers write specs, sometimes just to sustain the creative juices.

Comment

I thought slavery was abolished. Why would anyone write for free? Free as in ya get no pay. But if it sells you may get a 'crumb'. Not free as in working on your very wholly-owned spec script which is a horse of a diffrn't color entirely.

This is a con. Them cats prey on the desperate. Why? 'Cause they have no writing skills. None. Period. Man what a racket.

A. Get in HCD. B. Newbies query. C. Read queries. D. Scratch ass. E. Pick most interesting queries. F. Newbie sends/emails script. G. Find a few winners out of the hundreds/thousands sent. H. Scratch ass. I. Trick newbie into working for free by telling him he has promise and the future is bright. J. Swap scripts between best slaves and have them polish each other's best efforts making sure the slaves never meet. K. Scratch ass. L. Contact production co's/agents/mngrs and get slave labor script submitted with your name as writer. M. Get paid. N. Scratch ass. O. Repeat.

When does the next HCD come out?
                                Last edited by Charisma; 05-21-2009, 05:04 PM.
                                Doth thou desirest a slapping? - William Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                                X