Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2017

Thanks Clintw3. I guess I'll have to wait to see if I make the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
      From AFF website:

Finalists in All Categories Receive: one complimentary Producers Badge to attend the Austin Film Festival and Conference (value $675).

All Semifinalists may purchase a Producer's Badge at the discounted price of $200.
      And second rounders get it for $450.00

/got my call today
      //and my fingers crossed for the playwriting competition
      "The intrepid Spaceman Spiff is stranded on a distant planet! Our hero ruefully acknowledges this happens fairly frequently." Calvin & Hobbs

Comment

Originally posted by Willoughby View Post
        And second rounders get it for $450.00

/got my call today
        //and my fingers crossed for the playwriting competition
        Just curious, for those that make semi finals in the top 3 contests, do you wait till the final round or maybe as a winner to query, or is semi finals enough to start querying?

Comment

Have the calls for the comedy pilots gone out yet?

Comment

The list is up - Congrats to all who moved on.

https://austinfilmfestival.com/submi...cond-rounders/

I'm tickled to make the second round with my third different script. One of these days maybe I'll be good enough to move on.

Comment

Did anybody get a letter?

The first time I was a second rounder I got a letter with a nice handwritten note from Matt Dy and a congratulatory phone call.

The next time, a letter and a phone call.

This time nothing. I saw a twitter post that said the list was online.

Feels like they're losing some of what always made Austin special.

Comment

No letter yet, but got an email for each entry.
                Perhaps check your spam folder?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
                  Did anybody get a letter?

The first time I was a second rounder I got a letter with a nice handwritten note from Matt Dy and a congratulatory phone call.

The next time, a letter and a phone call.

This time nothing. I saw a twitter post that said the list was online.

Feels like they're losing some of what always made Austin special.
                  I got a letter, *and* a groovy sticky note about how much they loved it, and a call. Passed on the same script this year. And one that was a final draft semi finalist last year. It's a crap shoot

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                    I got a letter, *and* a groovy sticky note about how much they loved it, and a call. Passed on the same script this year. And one that was a final draft semi finalist last year. It's a crap shoot
                    Do you mean you had the same script place last year, but not this year (and it also was a semi finalist in big break)? Congratulations on the placement, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                      Do you mean you had the same script place last year, but not this year (and it also was a semi finalist in big break)? Congratulations on the placement, by the way.
                      Thank you, but no. A different script I submitted this year was a semi finalist at Final Draft last year but bupkis at Austin this year. The script that placed at AFF last year (that was also a "Table Read My Screenplay" semifinalist last year and had an extra, fawning sticky note with the letter) -- also bupkis. My point being this stuff is all so subjective. It's really needle in a haystack as to who reads it and if they like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                        Thank you, but no. A different script I submitted this year was a semi finalist at Final Draft last year but bupkis at Austin this year. The script that placed at AFF last year (that was also a "Table Read My Screenplay" semifinalist last year and had an extra, fawning sticky note with the letter) -- also bupkis. My point being this stuff is all so subjective. It's really needle in a haystack as to who reads it and if they like it or not.
                        Cool. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I've heard it can be pretty subjective from contest to contest or even within the same contest, with even conflicting notes from different readers on how they react to one particular scene.

Just out of curiosity, do you think managers pay attention to semi-finalists for the big four or five contests (other than Nicholl) like Page, Austin Film Festival, Final Draft Big Break in a query? Not sure which others would be in the top 5-7.

Comment

Had a win in Page some years ago. Sent dozens of queries to management companies. No one replied.

Comment

Originally posted by ImageWriter View Post
                            Had a win in Page some years ago. Sent dozens of queries to management companies. No one replied.
                            This. Whoever you're querying has to respond to the material. Placing high might make the difference, but because the title and genre are in the subject line, they may not even open the email if it's "meh" to them.

Comment

Actually, I did mention in the subject line - Page winner. It didn't make any difference. There might be a misconception out there as to how much a competition win is helpful to get a positive reply to cold quires. Maybe, the cold query era is over. Back in early 2000's, when queries were sent by snail mail, out of 400-600 query letters I would get 75 request for my script which didn't have any competition win. Today, if you get 5-15 script request out of sending 400-600 query emails you're a champ -- but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

-- the internet era killed the query star.

Comment

Originally posted by ImageWriter View Post
                                Actually, I did mention in the subject line - Page winner. It didn't make any difference. There might be a misconception out there as to how much a competition win is helpful to get a positive reply to cold quires. Maybe, the cold query era is over. Back in early 2000's, when queries were sent by snail mail, out of 400-600 query letters I would get 75 request for my script which didn't have any competition win. Today, if you get 5-15 script request out of sending 400-600 query emails you're a champ -- but that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

-- the internet era killed the query star.
                                Which category were you in? Maybe, they look at certain categories more than others.

Like you mentioned, they might be less receptive to queries now that they are getting flooded.

Comment

Working...
                                X