Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Done Deal Pro Site

And people have gotten signed on this site. Joe Nienalt (sorry if I screwed up his name.) did his heart walk page reads to raise money and awareness for heart health. He and/or his manager gave notes and signed at least two people that I heard of. Comrade Mazin got someone signed years ago. And Jeff Lowell as helped get people started. Jeff even pays one of the components of the Robotard8000 to service the mares on his horse ranch. You gotta give him that.
    Last edited by Mark Somers; 07-04-2019, 02:44 PM. Reason: Misspelled Joe Nienalt Comrade
    TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      That said, I have turned off HIDING the forum, but left "hiding" on for the posts & threads for now. That will at least show they are there. Does that seem better to you?
      Sounds like a good compromise. Thanks.
      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

For what it’s worth, I’d participate in some version of this.

Maybe 2-3 finalists chosen based on the first 5-10 pages + logline. Then pro writers/ readers could kindly donate their time to read and select a winner. That alone would bring tremendous value (remember the thrill and excitement of the Script Pages Feedback - Advanced forum? I know it gave me comfort during my early days, and meant so much to this community.)

Winners could even post the feedback they get, to connect the contest to the educational theme of DDP.

I think all of us who love DDP and value what we’ve learned here would jump at the chance to give it a little publicity. All it would take is one big name, who appreciates DDP or who ever got value and support from it, to agree to be a part of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
          Maybe 2-3 finalists chosen based on the first 5-10 pages + logline.
          Judging a logline along with other materials will dilute the focus and be too much to ask of the members at one time. I suggest that it should only be contests for individual subjects, such as, best logline, best opening page (of a completed script; not one specifically designed for the contest), etc.

A logline contest being new, there may not be a lot of entries, so I was thinking each member could enter up to two loglines and the screenplay doesn't need to be completed.

Since the opening 10 pages of a script is deemed important, as far as a getting a busy industry person to continue reading, I like the idea of a future opening 10 pages contest, but I don't think a contest like this is possible. Depending on how many entries, 10 pages from each entrant could add up to hundreds of pages, where it'll be to much to read and choose a winner.

Comment

Regardless of the idea's merits, it sounds clear that Will has neither the time nor the desire to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
              Regardless of the idea's merits, it sounds clear that Will has neither the time nor the desire to do this.
              Just like with the Cyfress vs. Jeff Lowell contest, Will doesn't have to be involved. Volunteer members could handle the logistics of the event. And this event would be for non-pro members only.

Will, would have to give his approval of some things, though, such as, I'd like to reach out to affordable professional readers, about 6, who have been recommended by members in the past, to ask if they would be a sponsor for a Done Deal Pro in-house only contest by providing coverage, or notes, their choice, for the screenplay of the winner.

In return for this one time only sponsorship, Done Deal Pro has a SITES AND SERVICES forum, where members discuss these places, which your service would be permanently attached to the top of this forum's page as a Done Deal Pro recommended service for those members looking for a service to receive feedback on their scripts.

This attachment would be for one year, November 2019 to December 2020. If you wish to continue the association and sponsorship, all that is required is that you sponsor one of the Done Deal Pro's contests ONCE a year.

To make room for these potential sponsors on the sites and services' forum page, any of the services who are stickied there now, who don't want to be a sponsor, would be unstickied for the services who agreed to be sponsors.

If there are 3 or 4 sponsors, then a logline contest could be held every 3 or 4 months.

At the end of the year, there could be a championship of the year contest, where the 3 or 4 winners go up against each other to be Done Deal Pro's Logline Winner of the year.

In this case, since these 3 or 4 loglines are supposed to be the best, maybe reach out to industry people to judge this championship contest.

If this championship winner has a completed screenplay that's ready to be seen, a query could be sent to the top ten management firms with the subject line of: Done Deal Pro's 2020 Winner.

If Done Deal Pro consistently producers winners, i.e., members who went on to sell their script, option, gain representation, become a WGA member, then Done Deal Pro will get that "reputation" that finalact4 spoke of.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                Agreed. Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe the workaround, Joe, is to inquire if Will will allow you to organize it if you're passionate about it. Idk.
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I will try to keep this relatively short so let me note a few things.

Suggestions like this are more than admirable. People have suggested in the past that DDP run a script contest and it's just a much bigger undertaking than most can imagine. (I helped a friend/associate out some years ago to run a small script contest and it takes a quite a bit of effort.) Unless it could be done in an amazing way with plenty of funding and all the pieces in place with little to no chance of any missteps, then it's not for this site. We've all seen the comments fly around about different contests out there. I don't need or want that for a site I've spent nearly 22 years running.

The world needs another script writing (related) contest like the world needs another screenwriting book. There are enough already and they cover basically every angle. There have even been at least two or three logline contests in the past by other people and they never made it to my knowledge.

I'm not going to retroactively ask scripts readers to read scripts for some contest just because they have a sticky. I don't run a quid pro quo site. Never have. And I'm surely not going to do it years after the fact. One of the biggest reasons any of those stickies are even there is because our forum community asked that they be stickied. They are not ads as much as they are "favorable" reviews by our members for services they like.

Done Deal is a site first and foremost about listing literary deals. That's what I focus on 365 days every year. Sometimes 366. That takes up more than enough of my time. And after all the effort, I'm just that much more "sensitive" and aware of protecting this site's reputation. Unless there is someone I'd trust with this site's "life" and who'd work in the same office with me, that I could oversee, follow, talk with etc. then I'm not looking to have anyone run anything to be frank - and I say that very nicely. (If someone like Greg Beal wants to get into the game, we can have lunch and at least discuss.)

I don't mind if people do Writing Exercises. But if there is some larger contest that the site's name is going to be attached to, then it's going to have to go through me and again I just don't have the time to focus on that. I also don't feel a logline or first 5 pages contest is going to move the needle either. Industry folks want completed scripts that have been vetted by someone they trust. A logline does very little for them in reality. Yes, they are important for queries, etc. Sure. But industry folks want a list handed to them of completed scripts by someone they know who can vouch for IP. They want scripts which are ready to go as much as possible.

It can take quite awhile to build up that type of reputation and I'm just not looking to spend years trying to take that on. I spent so much just getting this site going and then spend time every day trying to keep it running.

Again, admirable suggestions, but as others have noted it's all already being handled by various contests & services. If we had started a contest 20 years ago, then who knows? But my focus is on keeping the main site going, providing what I can (afford) for free to script writers, and trying to getting my writing done and help a few indie writer/directors and producers with their films.
                  Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-07-2019, 01:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
                  Will
                  Done Deal Pro
                  www.donedealpro.com

Comment

EDITED TO ADD: I posted before I seen Will's post. Will your post is very disappointing. This isn't the same type of contest like The Page, Trackingb, etc. that's going out there in the screenwriting world. This is a type of contest that happens here amongst members that always been going on now and then. Like the Cyfress vs. Jeff Lowell contest, The short story contest in the Script Pages forum, etc. If a member wants to have a similar Logline contest in the Logline forum, what's the difference from the other type of contests for you to disagree with? If you don't buy my arguments and not want me to go on an organize a logline contest, I'll drop the idea.

P.S The query idea with the name attach was just that, an idea. If you don't like it, that's no problem. This contest could be considered an educational writing exercise, only.

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                    Sounds like a lot of work. Maybe the workaround, Joe, is to inquire if Will will allow you to organize it if you’re passionate about it.
                    I am organizing it.

My previous posts have said that there will be no involvement needed of Will's time and energy.

Just the approval on the sponsorship idea, where any script reader service, who volunteers their service as a prize, their service would be stickied on top of the forum services' page.

I was looking to have a Logline contest begin on October 1, where all loglines would be submitted between October 1 to midnight of October 15, where no more submissions will be allowed.

October 15 to October 31 the loglines would be posted, without the writers' board name, for members to submit privately there score from 1 to 10 on the loglines' construction and commercial potential, where then the winner and his scores will be announced along with the scores of the other entrants, so they can get to see how weak or strong their construction and concept is perceived.

The problem to all of this: Are there any volunteers to receive the submissions, post the submissions, calculate the scores, and then post the scores?

I know what everyone is screaming right now: This is your idea! Why don't you do it!

Two reasons why:

1. Over the years, because of my strong, opinionated personality, I've rubbed a lot of members, pro and non-pro, the wrong way, where they'll be turned off dealing with me, one-on-one, submitting their loglines and scores.

2. I'd like to enter my own one, or two loglines. So, if I win, there would be an immediate outcry that I committed fraud with the scores. I would never do this, but there are some sore losers who would look for any excuse for their lost instead of admitting that their logline didn't measure up.

You see what I mean about my opinionated personality?

If there are no volunteers to handle the submissions, I won't enter my loglines and step up to do it, but I'm telling you, it'll affect other members' willingness to be involved.

So, any volunteers?
                    Last edited by JoeNYC; 07-05-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                      EDITED TO ADD: I posted before I seen Will's post. Will your post is very disappointing. This isn't the same type of contest like The Page, Trackingb, etc. that's going out there in the screenwriting world. This is a type of contest that happens here amongst members that always been going on now and then. Like the Cyfress vs. Jeff Lowell contest, The short story contest in the Script Pages forum, etc. If a member wants to have a similar Logline contest in the Logline forum, what's the difference from the other type of contests for you to disagree with? If you don't buy my arguments and not want me to go on an organize a logline contest, I'll drop the idea.

P.S The query idea with the name attach was just that, an idea. If you don't like it, that's no problem. This contest could be considered an educational writing exercise, only.
                      Okay. It's unfortunate you are disappointed, but you asked about all this and I honestly responded based on my years of running this site and of working in the business. My name was mentioned here & there so again I posted a response.

If a member wants to do a "fun" little contest in the Writing Exercise forum or possibly in the Loglines section, then that should fine. But that's not simply the way it's been presented. Suggestions like unsticky threads if coverage readers don't jump on board does involve me thus that's one of the reasons why I didn't take to this whole notion. You've noted things like reaching out to people and telling/asking them about Done Deal Pro's "contest." I'm not looking for that to happen nor do I want people thinking I'm running something I'm not, whether it's good or bad. That's all.

If you or someone else wants to do a "logline contest" in the LOGLINES forum as others have done in the WRITING EXERCISES forum, then pretty much knock yourselves out. But again, that's not exactly how it's really been presented up until this point. Though I will note, if someone wants feedback on their logline why does it need to be contest? They can just post their logline and get feedback. It doesn't have to be a competition. For the writing exercises, it's all about the fun of seeing how different people develop the similar themed idea. Right? That makes more sense as a light-heated, friendly competition. Right?

Again, those LOGLINES and WRITING EXERCISE forums are private so people can compete against each other if they really, really want. I can even create a sub forum in the LOGLINES forum just for such logline contests among yourselves. Then we can then see how it goes.
                      Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 07-05-2019, 11:43 AM.
                      Will
                      Done Deal Pro
                      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

If a member wants to do a "fun" little contest in the Writing Exercise forum or possibly in the Loglines section, then that should fine. But that's not simply the way it's been presented.

Suggestions like unsticky threads if coverage readers don't jump on board does involve me thus that's one of the reasons why I didn't take to this whole notion. You've noted things like reaching out to people and telling/asking them about Done Deal Pro's "contest." I'm not looking for that to happen nor do I want people thinking I'm running something I'm not, whether it's good or bad. That's all.

If you or someone else wants to do a "logline contest" in the LOGLINES forum as others have done in the WRITING EXERCISES forum, then pretty much knock yourselves out.
                        I threw out ideas. I did say it would need your approval. Some ideas you didn't go for because the Done Deal Pro name would be used to get sponsors, industry judges, etc. that's fine.

I'm glad that you didn't cut off the logline contest idea amongst members completely. I do believe it does have an educational value and would give members some insight on their logline construction and concept potential.

Comment

I threw out ideas. I did say it would need your approval. Some ideas you didn't go for because the Done Deal Pro name would be used to get sponsors, industry judges, etc. that's fine.

I'm glad that you didn't cut off the logline contest idea amongst members completely. I do believe it does have an educational value and would give members some insight on their logline construction and concept potential.
                          Let me know when folks are ready to go and I can again add a sub-forum to set it apart and people can participate as they like. (I think a sub forum might help keep single posters from being unwittingly involved n case all they wanted was a little feed back on just their logline.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

(I think a sub forum might help keep single posters from being unwittingly involved n case all they wanted was a little feed back on just their logline.
                            Good idea, thanks.

Comment

This opinion pisses me off.
                              hey JoeNYC. i don't care if it pisses you off. i can have a different opinion than you.

You, finalact4, may consider it asking for a "free read," but I believe DDP paid them in full with past years of free advertising and with continued years of free advertising.
                              i don't particularly care for your bullying tactics, JoeNYC. if someone wants to offer their services at no charge that's one thing. to me, it's something different to think you have the right to expect it. you said, "is it too much to ask?" you were soliciting a response from the "membership." it's not like you asked them in private first and gave them an option.

DDP gave them access and a platform to its members. You say, "well, they never asked for it." Sure, but it would be nice if they could show some appreciation anyway. It ain't like we're asking for the Moon.
                              DDP brought attention to a valuable service to its members with stickies. it's a place to post their (members) experiences and opinions about professional readers who are also members of this forum.

What is wrong with asking them if they would help out the site by volunteering ONCE a year to read and review a winning member's script for a contest idea to generate activity and new membership?
                              they aren't volunteering, you're basically saying they owe some kind of debt and you want to cash in and use it. it's basically guilting them into volunteering and, i don't think that's okay. that's not the same as asking them to volunteer, imo. you put it on the public forum. if someone wants to volunteer their time, great, that's admirable.

and i probably would have felt differently if you had contacted the readers in private and came onto the "public board" and said, each of them has volunteered to help! put you posted what basically sounded like a "we deserve this" in public. they have the right to say no and not feel publicly humiliated if they decline. i think decorum matters.

maybe you didn't mean it to sound like that, but, to me, it did.

Because you believe it's "presumptuous"? You're offended that I have the "audacity" to even ask this of them? finalact4, have you ever heard of the phrase: "If you don't ask, you don't get"?
                              please don't put words in my mouth.

well, i suppose it's okay for me to ask my hair stylist to give me a free cut, style, highlights and blowout, because i comment on their services and give them free advertising on my facebook, insta, and twitter accounts for years on end. how's that any different? it's not.

i don't have a problem with asking someone to donate their time for a good cause, i have a problem with the manipulative manner in which you presented it... "if they're not paying for it, is it too much to ask..."

finalact4, I don't have a problem with asking pro readers, who advertise their services on the site, or pro readers who don't, if they would offer a free read as a prize for a contest for a screenwriting site that has 200 active members.
                              clearly you don't. but you do have a problem with writers who disagree with you. great, got it. besides, i don't think of it as advertising. the forum's headline is: sites, services, software and supplies.

Don't you think that maybe one of these pro readers would agree because they think it would be a good way to get their name and service out there, drumming up goodwill where when DDP members go looking for a service to get feedback, they're gonna remember the generosity of this pro reader and choose him out of the hundreds of other pro readers?
                              whether they do or not is completely up to them. i said as much in my post. perhaps you could take a few moments to read my post again. you seem to have missed some of it-- which is your prerogative.

finalact4, your defeatist attitude toward my ideas is bumming me out, man. I need to grab a doughnut and get some sugar in my blood so I can be -- happy again.
                              if that's all it takes for you to be happy again, have two.

i was not defeatist. that's what you took from it. i even stated that if someone wanted to run it on their own, "go for it." it's a lot of work JoeNYC.

i even commended you on the idea Will took and made the forums public, but have the content still remain private. you must have missed that part.

if someone wants to volunteer their time and their expertise, i think that's great, but have the courtesy to ask them in private.

btw, JoeNYC, i didn't post my opinions to "piss you off," i posted them because i have an opposing view. i would expect the same from you and i certainly wouldn't attack you for it.

apologies to everyone, not how i expected this to go.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                                Then I misunderstood what you were suggesting. It’s not a bad idea in general, but I think it’s a bit late to the party. I feel like the Blacklist (website) kinda already has the monopoly on this. It would be hella hard to compete with that at this point.

As for taking super long shot risks, I agree that you (we) should. I mean, everything about this industry is a super long shot.

I’m just surprised finalact4 was able to find 600 people who are relevant for her particular material. Even with something highly commercial I’d imagine that list to be much shorter.
                                the list is my own list. it is a list of resources: managers, agents, and producers. you never know who will be the person that responds to your work. i'm not limiting myself. i have two different genres that will go out this year. one is a high concept rom-com the others are action thrillers.

it's not unusual, a lot of writers have large lists of contacts.

anyway, i wanted to clear up that this isn't a DDP list. my comment was that verifying and investigating a list of people in the industry is very time consuming. it's weeks, not hours.
                                Last edited by finalact4; 07-05-2019, 04:36 PM.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X