Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATA Hitting Back Hard?

well, they must be finally feeling the pain to wait this long to file suit.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/wme-sue...ga-1202637020/

i'm not sure accepting a practice because you had little choice is a strong argument. they should be able to show that writer's agreeing to packaging and accepting packaging fees has become something akin to a ten-headed monster?

the article ends with this:

WME is represented by attorneys Jeffrey Kessler and David Greenspan at Winston & Strawn, who have represented unions such as the NFL Players Association. "The fact that they took this case speaks volumes about the WGA's conduct,- WME said.
    or, perhaps it has to do with how deep the pockets are at WME, no?
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: ATA Hitting Back Hard?

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
    ...i'm not sure accepting a practice because you had little choice is a strong argument...
    It isn't. "Damn slaves... they put up with it for hundreds of years, and now they want emancipation?!"

I found the quoted portions pretty flowery, like a pitch for a TV show. Then some parts were more into legalese. Written by different folks, I suppose.

As for conflating the issue of writers with directors/actors, couldn't they be separated, or is WME et al just making it out to be impossible? One Guild may look for another's support, but it isn't mandatory. So who's twiting who's arm? Just get a programmer to write a bit of code - an algorithm! - to figure out a new way to divvy up the spoils. Sheesh.

And it's hard to complain about anti-competitiveness on the one hand, then say that they're upset about the Guild letting managers and attorneys into the representation/pitching fray that had previously been a closed shop. It's also nice of them to bring up that "industry standard" that writers can't even deal with the big prodcos and studios without having an agent. Isn't that anti-competitive, too?

Then there's the time-worn "the Guild will only hurt their members financially." Actually, I agree, but only if you look at the law-fare that's about to make a lot of attorneys very rich.

I'm just glad I'm almost certainly going to skip over this whole Union business, simply given my peculiar circumstances and where I have been and where I'm going. But, I'm definitely always for the "little guy and gal."

What'll be interesting is how the Democrats respond to this in their race to 2020. They love HW, of course, but is that the HW-the-big-money-donors, or the HW-the-little-guy-and-gal laborite?

Comment

maybe this helps put it in context? maybe this has something to do with the suit? i don't know which came first. they were probably working on the suit for a bit, no?

https://deadline.com/2019/06/endeavo...ec-1202637162/

the ipo stated Endeavor had 6,000 clients under them including the 1,400 writers that fired their agents at WME, which potentially makes the IPO a much greater risk to investors without the writers in tow.

yikes!

every time i read, At last count, more than 7,000 WGA members have fired their agents. i'm like, does anyone else think that's incredible?
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Of course the impact on the IPO is at least in part behind this.

Hmm, I wonder if the possible rewards of a victorious suit can be considered a "monetary asset" in the overall value of the IPO? I don't know much about this stuff, but I wouldn't put it past this outfit to think so.
        Last edited by catcon; 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM. Reason: clarified

Comment

with WME, it's all about the IPO and displaying strength (real or at least perceived real by potential investors) ahead of that:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...column-1219501

the WGA stuff couldn't have come at a worse time in that regard, and the longer it drags out the less attractive Endeavor may look as an investment

maybe other the co-defendants have similar counterclaims in process that they just haven't filed yet but it felt telling to me that WME so far is out there freelancing on this claim without CAA, UTA, or ICM apparently joining in. maybe they don't want to burn the bridges with their former clients, which it feels like WME is doing with their argument here (it's a weird way to tell your ex you want them back!)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            with WME, it's all about the IPO and displaying strength (real or at least perceived real by potential investors) ahead of that:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...column-1219501

the WGA stuff couldn't have come at a worse time in that regard, and the longer it drags out the less attractive Endeavor may look as an investment

maybe other the co-defendants have similar counterclaims in process that they just haven't filed yet but it felt telling to me that WME so far is out there freelancing on this claim without CAA, UTA, or ICM apparently joining in. maybe they don't want to burn the bridges with their former clients, which it feels like WME is doing with their argument here (it's a weird way to tell your ex you want them back!)

1,000,000% agreed.

There has got to be agents talking behind closed doors about an exit strategy... like starting a smaller agency and taking their clients with them. I would bet some agents are beginning to get pissed at the partners. These are clients they've worked incredibly hard to get. Now you have none? They're F'ing pissed. Guarantee it.
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Working...
            X