X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenwriting Quirks You Might Have

Originally posted by silvercop View Post
    A film's artistic and dramatic aspects.

I can't say I agree with your assertation that the screenwriter shouldn't include "artistic and dramatic aspects" in the script.

That's um, like what the screenwriter is supposed to do.

It may be a good idea to minimize stuff like song titles and describing actual shots in your script if you can get the same effect without using them. But that's the point - if you can get the same effect without using them.

Because it really boils down to - use whatever you need in order to best convey the story. If that takes a using specific song in the script, use it. But you can't get lazy and just use it as a crutch.

Comment

Originally posted by KWhit View Post
      Because it really boils down to - use whatever you need in order to best convey the story. If that takes a using specific song in the script, use it. But you can't get lazy and just use it as a crutch.
      From what I understand, its a rare script that wont get a production rewrite anyway. At that point I assume they'll remove any song titles and include their own.

I personally wouldn't use any song titles as I'm not confident enough to feel my selection wouldbn't detract from the mood rather than add to it.

But if adding a song title is enough to mark me as a freshman writer, then there must be something very wrong with the rest of my writing anyway.

I'll add song titles and such like when I know exactly what I'm doing, and why I;m doin git.

Is all that a writing quirk? LOL
      "Would you take a f**k to save your president?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
        From what I understand, its a rare script that wont get a production rewrite anyway. At that point I assume they'll remove any song titles and include their own.

I personally wouldn't use any song titles as I'm not confident enough to feel my selection wouldbn't detract from the mood rather than add to it.

But if adding a song title is enough to mark me as a freshman writer, then there must be something very wrong with the rest of my writing anyway.

I'll add song titles and such like when I know exactly what I'm doing, and why I;m doin git.

Is all that a writing quirk? LOL
        Sounds like common sense.
        www.silvercop.com
        If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

I remembered some more:

I aways name a char after my husband, Stephen. And usually throw in another family member.

I only write using a Paper Mate Flair. I like a dark line so i don't have to push so hard. My hand cramps up easily.

I've noticed that with each script, I make more folders & docs on my computer. Luckily, I've gotten better at organizing.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I always start at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by zora View Post
              I always start at the beginning.
              It appears a lot of people end there as well.
              www.silvercop.com
              If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Any major dialogue scene will always have characters interrupting one another back and forth. I'd be surprised if my first drafts have more than twenty complete lines of dialogue.

Comment

Working...
                X