Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlining your script

I'm starting this new character-driven screenplay and I'm at the initial stages and I generally know where the script is heading to in the third act what my question is is should I be outlining every scene and outlining every scenes direction to lead into the next ?

I'm wondering if giving them a predetermined route down the story will deny their characters to be genuine, sort of like i'm god and im making them do this and that and could be missing some interesting routes that the characters would've gone down?

Am i waffling it's really late here so im tired so maybe but yeah a lot of sources insist that outlining the whole thing is the norm.

Like I said ive got the destination and certain pivotal scenes in my head that are important...

Cheers

Re: Outlining your script

It's up to you. So people like more detailed outlines, some less. Try both ways and see which you like.

You should know that even a detailed outline will probably change drastically once you start writing the story itself. Good luck!

Comment

The outline doesn't have to be set in stone. If the story or the characters want to take a different direction, you can always revise your outline accordingly.

The outline is there to let you take in the whole story in a quick glance. And it's also a matter of process.

Comment

Outlines are wonderful helps ... after you have written the story.

Seriously, an outline done after the script can really help you see things that you could add, delete, change, or strengthen.

But to try to write one from scratch ... Gee, I have never been able to do that. The problem is that you do not know where you are going, or if you know the conclusion, you do not know all the things that are going to be obstacles along the way.

Maybe if I were writing something based on research, I could develop the outline. In fact, for me it would be imperative to have some kind of outline if I were writing a script based on a complex series of historical events. Otherwise, I would just get lost.

For ordinary, less complicated stories, you may find that you follow an outline at first and then you work on the script and realize that you need to make changes. At that point it will be back to the outline for more development of it.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

If you know in general how things are going to go, I would outline a bit more, if only to nail down the details that will inform the direction of the story.

If you have a good idea of the overall story you want to tell, you can review your characters and see how their journeys will fit - or how they don't fit.

My partner and I outline pretty extensively but we don't do scene by scene.
          writertypepeople.tumblr.com
          twitter.com/susanlbridges
          pendantaudio.com

Comment

I believe that outlining gives you freedom, rather than takes it away.

I think that for many writers, screenplays are written in slow-drying cement. They harden over time after you've written them, and it becomes harder and harder to make substantial changes. Psychologically, I've seen a lot of writers (and it's certainly happened to me, too) start to convince themselves that "they meant to do that." The prospect of doing hard work to rebuild something that looks finished exerts a psychological influence on us. We want it to not need work, so it's harder to do the work.

Whereas an outline gives us a chance to see, "Hmm. How does this really work?" when it's still early enough in the process that our ego isn't as in the way.

I'm currently experimenting with not outlining after always outlining for years and years. And I will say: the main thing helping me avoid that problem is my writing group, where I hear my words read by good actors and the stuff that isn't working is thrown in my face. My ability to convince myself that "I meant to do that" is severely limited.

Obviously, everybody's process is different. But if you don't outline, you have to be aware of the extra work you're giving yourself down the line.

Comment

Whatever gets the best results.

I outline so that I can *avoid* making the obvious story decision by thinking about it ahead of time.

Find what works for you. It may not be the method that is easiest for you, sometimes the best results take work.

Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I outline scene by scene in a notebook but it's very vague so that I can fill in the gaps or change as I need.

My outlines are definitely not set in stone and if I am in the moment and feel like going another direction, I go with it.

Some people like to be very detailed down to the dialogue but I like to figure out those things in the moment. It's all about finding your process and works for you. There's no right or wrong way, as long as the end result is satisfying.
                Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I don't do the traditional kind of outlining. I make copious audio notes until the thing starts to gel. I'd rather be able to talk about it as rapidly as possible than to worry about typing and words on a screen. Often ideas replace previous ideas, and I'll generally start each entry with an act designation, so that it's easy to compile later and organize. All the notes sorted into an order becomes the sorta outline.
                  Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

With my novels, I used to do 8k to 12k word outlines for what would become a 90-100k finished story.

I am currently outlining my next attempt at a screenplay. The file is at 11k words for what will probably be a 22k word script. That's probably on the more extreme side of things, but I am collecting little ideas and snippets of dialogue and noting any vivid imagery.

If I had to make a case FOR outlining, I'd say it lets you discard all the weak and trite ideas before you become invested in them.

Comment

Try it and find out. My writing partner can't live without outlines, so when we embark on a project, it's outline city. When I do my own story, I don't use them.

Outlining helps her understand the characters in far more depth, so you may find that outlining enhances your character drama.

Comment

Working...
                      X