Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overexposed on Blacklist?

I was talking to a woman who's worked as a reader for networks and prodcos today. I showed her my latest TV pilot logline and she said she wouldn't change a word, that it's killer and that anyone would be interested in it: network, cable, netflix, etc.

Back to reality, I still don't have a manager.

I asked her what she thought of Blacklist and she said that although they're legit that some people in Hollywood don't like it because there's the chance that everyone in town has seen it and it loses that air of exclusivity.

I've put other incarnations of this pilot on BL and gotten 6s and 7s with an 8 for premise once, but nothing came of it. This is a page-one rewrite.

She thought I should enter it in tracking board or Austin TV pilot contests. I've never entered a contest in my life or even thought of doing so. Is that really the way to go?

I'm newly relocated to L.A. and I know a ton of industry people, but I don't find that that necessarily means they'll read your stuff.

I'm all over the place with this post, I know. I'm just looking for guidance besides "keep writing." I really do love this version of my pilot.
    Last edited by EnsconcedinVelvet; 03-24-2016, 08:16 PM.

Re: Overexposed on Blacklist?

It's worth entering Austin if only because it is a BLAST to go to the conference. If your script does well, you get discounted badge etc.

Comment

There are a number of ways you can market a script - virtual pitchiest, inktip, spec scout (but not pilots) -- but if you are fortunate enough to live in LA (for a screenwriter) and have industry contacts, then you probably just want to build out from those contacts, get involved in some writing groups, and do other stuff in town. You don't say how many scripts you've written but if it's not that many then you probably want to generate some more content. But I get the feeling that you've already written a lot of stuff so that may not be as big of a concern. I've had mixed experiences with contests - best was Nichols - others not so much - they can get expensive, but I imagine the payoff is good for those who place. I've been a finalist of a 'lesser' contest but nothing came of it.

Comment

I agree with whomever it was that suggested things 'may' get over exposed on BL. I know plenty of agents and managers who feel that way. Snobby, perhaps, but that's how they feel.

You just said you know plenty of people. F' contests in that case. It's the same thing, some may feel your script is over exposed. Strangely [to some] the agents and managers I know want material NOBODY has seen. What sense does that make? I know, right. But that's what they want --> i.e. EGO! They want to be able to break out with something nobody has heard of and therefore cannot google etc. They alone gave birth to this script/writer.

Anyway... approach the people you know. Politely ask them to take a look at it. You have an opportunity to GO AROUND the bottom tier. The bottom tier is where a bunch of idiots slam the same material that high profile people laud. Why fuss with that bottom tier if you can go around it?

Hence, what's your confusion over?
        DOPE CITY

Comment

I second Surfatboy's main point - there's no confusion here - the contests and BL nonsense is what people (like me) who don't live in LA or have any connections have to do - you don't ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo_Pug View Post
            There are a number of ways you can market a script - virtual pitchiest, inktip, spec scout (but not pilots) -- but if you are fortunate enough to live in LA (for a screenwriter) and have industry contacts, then you probably just want to build out from those contacts, get involved in some writing groups, and do other stuff in town. You don't say how many scripts you've written but if it's not that many then you probably want to generate some more content. But I get the feeling that you've already written a lot of stuff so that may not be as big of a concern. I've had mixed experiences with contests - best was Nichols - others not so much - they can get expensive, but I imagine the payoff is good for those who place. I've been a finalist of a 'lesser' contest but nothing came of it.
            I've written three pilots that I consider solid. I've been successful in other writing mediums including getting a book published with a Big 5. It's the pilot that's based on that book that people are interested in, since it's what I'm known for. Rant about contacts coming up...

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
              I agree with whomever it was that suggested things 'may' get over exposed on BL. I know plenty of agents and managers who feel that way. Snobby, perhaps, but that's how they feel.

You just said you know plenty of people. F' contests in that case. It's the same thing, some may feel your script is over exposed. Strangely [to some] the agents and managers I know want material NOBODY has seen. What sense does that make? I know, right. But that's what they want --> i.e. EGO! They want to be able to break out with something nobody has heard of and therefore cannot google etc. They alone gave birth to this script/writer.

Anyway… approach the people you know. Politely ask them to take a look at it. You have an opportunity to GO AROUND the bottom tier. The bottom tier is where a bunch of idiots slam the same material that high profile people laud. Why fuss with that bottom tier if you can go around it?

Hence, what's your confusion over?
              I was going to write this long response that read like a blind item about all the famous/successful people I've met in the past few months, but decided against it. Short version: My high-powered writer friends are too successful (and not in my genre) to want to help. They probably know 500 people they're closer to than me that are already asking them favors. Same with famous actor or producer acquaintances.

My other writer friends who aren't staffed or working with famous directors but have managers or agents are willing to forward my stuff but then it's still not getting read and what can they do, hold a gun to their mgr's head? (They may want to, but not over me). Plus they're struggling too. It's not like they're staffed on shows.

My genre is the TV equivalent of chick-lit. It's comedy with female leads. I know ONE person in that genre and she's barely hanging on too.

The few people I've gotten to read have usually at least called to find out more about me, it's getting people to read that's been tough.

ETA: I know everyone probably thinks they're chill and cool to work with, but I really am laid back and not difficult, so I'm pretty sure it's not like people are thinking, "No WAY am I going to expose anyone to Ensconced," I just think knowing people doesn't automatically translate into paid work.

I'm super frustrated. Thank you for reading this far.
              Last edited by EnsconcedinVelvet; 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

I am super-frustrated, too. Here's a virtual hug or a shot of tequila. Sorry I am zero help.

Comment

The Blacklist might be a possible way for good writing/writer to get some exposure.

The Blacklist is probably NOT the best way to try and sell a particular property due to issues of overexposure.

--
                  If you look at the structure of the BL (without whimsical hopes and dreams clouding logical thinking), the BL provides a service to producers and reps by weeding out mountains of bad scripts. Although the service benefits producers and reps, they do not pay for the service. Revenue is instead raised by charging the masses of writers, the vast majority of whom will never benefit from the service. Paying for a service that benefits someone else? Can you say suckers?

Think about the guarantees you get whenever you spend your guaranteed notes (money) on anything you pay for in life. The BL can't even guarantee a decent reader will evaluate your work. Hence all they free make up reviews handed out like cheap candy. If they can't guarantee a decent reader the first time, why go back for another subpar reader to halfway read your work for the cheap price they're paid? Can we say suckers go back for more?

If you pay for something with no guarantees, you are either gambling or being taken advantage of. For those writers who do score well and get reps through BL, guess what? Your script was probably good enough to go to reps directly. Why waste your money and risk overexposing your material?

On your road to success, many parasitic types will try to block your progress by putting up a toll booth blocking your passage and then demanding payment in order to pass you along toward success. You don't need to pay the toll! You can simply go around them and continue on your road going directly to the reps/producers you seek, keeping in mind that rejection is the norm whether you go through the BL toll booth or bypass them altogether.

If you really stop and analyze how the BL is structured and who it truly benefits, you will realize the BL is not set up as a new way for writers to break in, but rather it is clearly set up as a new way to KEEP WRITERS OUT of the business. Sales pitch: 'try thr Blacklist, a new way to break in'. Reality: the Blacklist is a new way to keep masses of writers out and reduce number of queries to reps. So the overwhelming vast majority of you who use the BL are paying to be shut out of the business. News flash, being shutout comes for free.

In the end your script is what matters. So If you have talent as a writer and know your script is ready, go around the BL and skip the pay toll altogether. The rest of you, go ahead and keep paying money to be kept out.

Keep in mind rejection is the norm in this endeavor. Do you want to get rejected for free by the actual people you want to reach, or do you want to pay to be rejected by some super secret anonymous reader who's willing to reader an entire script and give notes for something like $20.

Make no mistake, the pay site exists to separate aspiring writers from their money. And it takes credit for the few talented writers who most likely would have gotten signed even if they didn't use the service.

Of all the successful working writers today, how many came through the BL pay site, and how many didn't? Do we really need this pay site to become successful when most writers working today got there some other way? Beware of anyone who claims to offer a new service (provides no guarantees) but offers to take your money.

Wish you all well on your own personal roads to success.

Comment

It is *very* frustrating - especially for those of us who are out of town and can't work those local LA pathways to getting read. Also, when we're being honest with ourselves, we know that mgwriter is correct about BL and similar entities.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                      I am super-frustrated, too. Here's a virtual hug or a shot of tequila. Sorry I am zero help.
                      Thank you. I don't drink but I will take the hug. It is helpful, believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                        The Blacklist might be a possible way for good writing/writer to get some exposure.

The Blacklist is probably NOT the best way to try and sell a particular property due to issues of overexposure.

--
                        If you look at the structure of the BL (without whimsical hopes and dreams clouding logical thinking), the BL provides a service to producers and reps by weeding out mountains of bad scripts. Although the service benefits producers and reps, they do not pay for the service. Revenue is instead raised by charging the masses of writers, the vast majority of whom will never benefit from the service. Paying for a service that benefits someone else? Can you say suckers?

Think about the guarantees you get whenever you spend your guaranteed notes (money) on anything you pay for in life. The BL can't even guarantee a decent reader will evaluate your work. Hence all they free make up reviews handed out like cheap candy. If they can't guarantee a decent reader the first time, why go back for another subpar reader to halfway read your work for the cheap price they're paid? Can we say suckers go back for more?

If you pay for something with no guarantees, you are either gambling or being taken advantage of. For those writers who do score well and get reps through BL, guess what? Your script was probably good enough to go to reps directly. Why waste your money and risk overexposing your material?

On your road to success, many parasitic types will try to block your progress by putting up a toll booth blocking your passage and then demanding payment in order to pass you along toward success. You don't need to pay the toll! You can simply go around them and continue on your road going directly to the reps/producers you seek, keeping in mind that rejection is the norm whether you go through the BL toll booth or bypass them altogether.

If you really stop and analyze how the BL is structured and who it truly benefits, you will realize the BL is not set up as a new way for writers to break in, but rather it is clearly set up as a new way to KEEP WRITERS OUT of the business. Sales pitch: 'try thr Blacklist, a new way to break in'. Reality: the Blacklist is a new way to keep masses of writers out and reduce number of queries to reps. So the overwhelming vast majority of you who use the BL are paying to be shut out of the business. News flash, being shutout comes for free.

In the end your script is what matters. So If you have talent as a writer and know your script is ready, go around the BL and skip the pay toll altogether. The rest of you, go ahead and keep paying money to be kept out.

Keep in mind rejection is the norm in this endeavor. Do you want to get rejected for free by the actual people you want to reach, or do you want to pay to be rejected by some super secret anonymous reader who's willing to reader an entire script and give notes for something like $20.

Make no mistake, the pay site exists to separate aspiring writers from their money. And it takes credit for the few talented writers who most likely would have gotten signed even if they didn't use the service.

Of all the successful working writers today, how many came through the BL pay site, and how many didn't? Do we really need this pay site to become successful when most writers working today got there some other way? Beware of anyone who claims to offer a new service (provides no guarantees) but offers to take your money.

Wish you all well on your own personal roads to success.
                        Thank you for that well-reasoned post. You really cut through the BS. And yes, I suspect you're right. I do things like BL for the validation and to feel like I'm doing something instead of sitting around.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo_Pug View Post
                          It is *very* frustrating - especially for those of us who are out of town and can't work those local LA pathways to getting read. Also, when we're being honest with ourselves, we know that mgwriter is correct about BL and similar entities.
                          Where are these local LA pathways, though? I meet people at parties and through friends, which is so, so random. The chances of them being in my world/genre AND wanting to help are slim to none.

I was getting agent calls from cold querying when I didn't live here. That ground to an immediate halt once I picked up and moved.

Comment

I don't know exactly - perhaps it's just an illusion of mine. Still, you can take meetings if you're in town and I've heard that the inability to do so can hinder progress - at least one manager told me that out of town is a deal killer (for what it's worth). You might try writers' groups or even - assuming you're into comedy - one of the comedy groups (Upright Citizens or Groundlings) I understand they have writer programs. Finally, if you are truly getting no industry pro reads, then you might try virtual pitchiest - my batting average has not been great there, but I do get at least some reads and follow up discussions (more than I can say for BL). Best of luck - and keep us posted on progress :-)

PS. You can also try Stage32.com and Happy Writers but I have little experience with HW. Also Zoetrope is a good group.

Comment

I feel like contests are often the same situation.

Here's the solution in my opinion:
                              Friend messages you: "Hey, remember that script you had about the X, Y and Z?"
                              "Yeah..."
                              "You still gonna make that?"
                              Uh, "YEAH. Just working out the details..."
                              "Great. I have an SFX guy whose schedule's filling up. When you wanna do it?"

BOOM.
                              This happens to be just a short, but I am pretty sure that's basically how it goes with the bigger stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X