Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maybe I'm Just Not Talented Enough...

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    Just trying to keep it REAL. Too much fake bullshizzz in this town.
    AMEN BROTHER! This is the kind of truth telling this place needs! Sing it! I just bought two tickets to Mars on the GucciGhost express, and me and my talent are STRAPPED IN!

Liftoff!

Comment

Originally posted by ActionStar View Post
      Bono, you want me to do U 2? LOL! I joke, but the real Bono should be carrying YOUR bags as you take a golden escalator to the top floor of HOLLYWOOD! Last stop, superstardom!

I shouldn't say this, but I used to work for the government in the XXXXX division of the XXXX agency! I'm probably going to be hunted down for saying this by the Time Soldiers, but I've seen your future, and I am BUYING!
      Framing this.

What an epic comeback. 15 posts, but joined in 2008. 11 years you waited just to throw out some fortune cookies on crack. Welcome home, Action Star.

You make Action Jackson look like a fool for not hiring you to play Carl Weathers... Wow this is harder than it looks, Action Star. Praise be.

Comment

Ha!

This thread just went into the RAD ZONE! LOL
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

You say you've sold a hit film as a manager. Maybe that's your calling? You also sold as a writer, that's great. But I realize it sucks when your stuff is sold but unproduced.

I think your story is really common in LA - a ton of people who are > < this close. Even many people who are on top fall back to > < this close. I read an interview with Stallone where he said he was industry poison for ~15 years and only managed to get back on top with Rocky and Rambo reboots.

Freelance creative jobs are ridiculously insecure. That's why when many people succeed, they hold onto it with dear life.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
            You say you've sold a hit film as a manager. Maybe that's your calling? You also sold as a writer, that's great. But I realize it sucks when your stuff is sold but unproduced.

I think your story is really common in LA - a ton of people who are > < this close. Even many people who are on top fall back to > < this close. I read an interview with Stallone where he said he was industry poison for ~15 years and only managed to get back on top with Rocky and Rambo reboots.

Freelance creative jobs are ridiculously insecure. That's why when many people succeed, they hold onto it with dear life.
            Having read several of Gucci's posts, I agree that he would be a fantastic manager. It seems he cares, is very personable, can relate to different people on a number of different levels, and has a good base of LA connections. All of those are skills that one can try and leverage to make money. Writing is something that can always be supplemented by one or two other things (but anything more, and maybe it starts to feel like the writing is on the back burner all your life). A position as a manger could ultimately lead to becoming a producer. And then at that point, hopefully the writing has been built to a level that it's some of the best work in town. Just my opinion, but I don't know much! Good luck!

Comment

I said that with experience having tried creative fields earlier, been stuck in that "almost making it" phase. Quit, left, started up a new career on the business end of a creative field and became quite successful in my industry.

Now, I'm venturing back into the creative side with more emotional maturity and the stability to say yes or no to whatever.

I have no regrets about my path. It's been a good path and being professionally creative is often just a time and place thing. It wasn't my time and place earlier.

Being a great manager for people you admire can be a great thing. You're still a heavy part of something magical. And you can create at the same time without stressing about how well that side is going.

Comment

Yeah... it's possible I might end up there.

Sucks because I know I'm a damn good writer, but maybe I'm not "FUKKING GREAT."

If you have the option to not be a great writer, you're in the best position. IMO.

But, if I do go the manger route, Bruh, I'ma rep the sh!t outta you. I know what GREAT looks like on the page. And I'm not afraid to call anyone.

Comment

It was just the thing that stood out immediately to me in your post. You succeeded heavily in one of the fields you mentioned, but you put it last.

It also doesn't mean anything about you creatively. It might not be your time or place for whatever reason.

I also think creatively I got better when I stepped away a while and worked with people who were way more brilliant than me. I had to help them hone their skills, even though they were beyond me.

There is a lot of creativity in business management too.

I'm not saying you have to do that, but sometimes the path of least resistance is good. And gets you to the point where you literally don't give a ****.

Currently in my other career, my projects are hit after hit. So with my writing, all I focus on is doing a good job. It doesn't really matter if it sells! I want to make the damn stuff. But I lose nothing if it never happens.

Just something to think about. Try to look at yourself objectively and ask a few friends what they think.

Case in point, I used to know a lot of film people. Most of them were vying for the very limited high power creative work. One guy (who wanted to be a director) took work as a set electrician. Worked his way up to union. Then he bought a grip truck. Then he opened his own sound stage where all the biggest music videos were shooting. Constantly booked, and he worked on creative production end at that point. One of the most successful people I knew in that scene while 99% of the rest were waiting for their big break.

There are multiple avenues to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                    It was just the thing that stood out immediately to me in your post. You succeeded heavily in one of the fields you mentioned, but you put it last.

It also doesn't mean anything about you creatively. It might not be your time or place for whatever reason.

I also think creatively I got better when I stepped away a while and worked with people who were way more brilliant than me. I had to help them hone their skills, even though they were beyond me.

There is a lot of creativity in business management too.

I'm not saying you have to do that, but sometimes the path of least resistance is good. And gets you to the point where you literally don't give a ****.

Currently in my other career, my projects are hit after hit. So with my writing, all I focus on is doing a good job. It doesn't really matter if it sells! I want to make the damn stuff. But I lose nothing if it never happens.

Just something to think about. Try to look at yourself objectively and ask a few friends what they think.

Case in point, I used to know a lot of film people. Most of them were vying for the very limited high power creative work. One guy (who wanted to be a director) took work as a set electrician. Worked his way up to union. Then he bought a grip truck. Then he opened his own sound stage where all the biggest music videos were shooting. Constantly booked, and he worked on creative production end at that point. One of the most successful people I knew in that scene while 99% of the rest were waiting for their big break.

There are multiple avenues to get there.
                    1,000,000% agreed! (And good for you for being so successful in your other venture!)

I freely admit I don't know what I'm talking about...

But, yeah, I know a failed writer (he sold some stuff, but never quite blew up) who switched gears when my ex dropped him. I told him "Bruh... you're a producer! I think you'd be great at it." He's like "You may be right."

He was up for best pic at the Oscars a couple years ago. I was supper happy for him, he found his true calling, finally! Dude is super successful now. Sometimes we're really fukking good but put our energy into the wrong task. Fully agreed!

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                      I don't know how talented anyone here is (or how talented I am) but I do believe there are tons of untalented people working in all creative fields. Either they know the right people or they've made something that's marketable in some way.
                      BINGO.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionStar View Post
                        Man, I was nervous when I started reading this that you were gonna quit!

YOU CAN NEVER QUIT!

You are an A+ superstar! Hell man, they could just take your posts here, slap 'em in Final Draft, and have a movie that would open bigger than Star Wars! I've quit reading the newspaper in the morning, I just fire up Done Deal and inject GucciGhostXXX straight into my veins!

You're what the Aztecs used to call an Eagle Warrior! You are the bravest soldier! You take the greatest number of prisoners in battle!
                        LMFAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                          LMFAO!!!
                          HAHA!

Comment

BTW - I kinda wonder who ActionStar is. 2008? 16 posts?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Chris Nolan. Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                              HAHA!
                              I'm sorry, but that was funny.

So when you gonna hang out your fukkin manager shingle?

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                                I'm sorry, but that was funny.

So when you gonna hang out your fukkin manager shingle?

LOL. No worries. I can take a joke! That's the only way I can make it through this bullshiz!

Idk... any day now.

I'ma glom onto everyone's script as producer (kidding).

Comment

Working...
                                X