Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2012 QFs are announced! Who's in?

Originally posted by Presto View Post

I had 3 entries:
    • One got in: my fifth script: an action/war drama

The Nicholl is by a huge margin the elite of screenwriting contests. This year saw a fantastic change in every entry (in the first round) being read twice - that's gonna slame the Nicholl's budget but they do it to give us the best chance possible. Greg's running an outstanding ship.
    Awesome! Nicholl seems to love those war scripts.. Greg is the man!
    "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

I had one script make QF and one get two positive reads though no percentile.

It's worth noting that the latter one was in my preferred genre, made top 15% last year and I'm confident was stronger this year -- if for no other reason than that I made no story changes, only cutting out every last ounce of fat in the action and dialogue so as to streamline the read (which was five pages shorter as a result). I figured I was close before and the notes I'd gotten were dealing more with marketability (i.e. the concept not having mass appeal even though the execution was first rate), so why not get the script to the point where I felt that it was as strong as it could possibly be. And clearly it wasn't strong enough because presumably at least one reader hated it.

As for the other script that did make QF? It was a first draft and my first time writing in that genre. No notes, just my own "gut". You never can tell.

Congratulations again to everyone else who made it through, and for those who didn't keep your head high -- and keep writing.

Comment

Pretty disappointed with myself to miss the cut, both of the scripts I entered were kinda love em or hate em but that's no excuse. Congrats to the DDers who made the QFs.

Comment

Made it in with PROPHET MARGIN, a thriller (EAGLE EYE meets THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR). Entered another that dinked, though it was in the semi's last year (and has been rewritten a lot, which makes me yet again wonder if we made it worse!).

Comment

I just got "two positive reads" and I really have no idea what it means this year, because all scripts were read by two people...? So it's like "I review this script positively," but the numerical scores were too low to get a third read?

It's my first script and I submitted before discovering DD and all the fantastic advice here. Blinded by stupid guru advice, I depersonalized it as much as I could. Now I know better... so everything's on the right track! :-D

Comment

Not in, no percentile, no mention of positive reads.

Just as encouragement to the others who didn't make the cut, this was on a script that got me repped, got name producers attached, and is currently getting me some pretty good meetings.

Some people are going to dig your work, and some people aren't. You can't control that. What you can control is the quality of your work, so keep plugging away!
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

What Knaight said. Congrats to those that advanced.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                  What Knaight said. Congrats to those that advanced.

HH
                  And yeah, major congrats to those that advanced!

Despite what I said above, advancing in the Nicholl is awesome. Although a good script might not make the cut, it's pretty hard for a bad script to move forward.

Comment

Dude, I hope this doesn't block your momentum for even a split-second.
                    Last edited by SuperScribe; 08-01-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post

Dude, I hope this doesn't block your momentum for even a split-second.
                      It's no big deal. The main reason I entered was to give myself an edge at getting repped, getting meetings, etc. Since those things have happened / are happening, it's not much of a blow.

I know people who've sold scripts that didn't make the Nicholl QF, and furthermore, Nicholl fully admits to this. The way the reading for the contest is set up -- necessary, because of how many entries they get -- there are going to be successful scripts that don't make their cut.

I think that if things weren't already moving forward for me, I would have been pretty bummed by this news. So hopefully some of the people that didn't make it this time around will take the above anecdotes as encouragement.

Comment

I'm in the QF and couldn't be happier! This is an elite competition and to crack the top 5% of 7000+ scripts really puts wind in my sails. Thank you to Greg and his team. I'm thrilled! Congrats to everyone else as well.

Comment

I'm in the QFs and got a 10% notification but it feels a little bittersweet as the script I felt was by far my strongest (which made the Page QFs) didn't end up advancing. I'm not confident of getting into the SFs at all with the horse I've got left in the race. Anyway mustn't grumble, a Nicholl QF placement is nothing to sneeze at. Congratulations and commiserations where applicable, DDers!

Comment

I'm in with one.

A second script got a P.S. -- two positive reads.

Ironically, my third script -- the one I thought would QF -- got nothing, not even a P.S.

Congrats to everyone!!

Comment

Thanks to those that offered the warm wishes! Hopefully next year will be your turn....

Brice, Seh, Rjb, Rhodi and Figment: awesome job! Nice to see so many DDers representing in the Nicholl.

Rjb: let's hope that wind in our sails takes us to Austin.
                              "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

So far, the following DDers have made the QFs:

1. JoJo (first and foremost )(also a PAGE QF)
                                2. Brice
                                3. P-jay
                                4. Mikewrites (with his first script! )
                                5. JoeCollins (also a PAGE QF)
                                6. DerringerHenry (also a PAGE QF)
                                7. Presto
                                8. Seh
                                9. Rjb (also a PAGE QF)
                                10. Rhodi
                                11. Figment
                                12. Ewbet (also a PAGE QF)
                                13. Celtic1
                                14. EJ Pennypacker
                                15. McNamara
                                16. Porkaccino
                                17. Tony Chassion III
                                18. Shaken_Vesper

So, am I only gal on this list?
                                Last edited by JoJo; 08-02-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X