Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When manager only likes one script?

After years of cold querying I finally got a manager. She seems to be well connected, was enthusiastic about the script and got it into a couple of top-rung companies -- though it hasn't sold. Meanwhile, I have a pile of scripts, a couple of which I think are possibly stronger than the one she's shopping around. But she doesn't like them. What does one do in this situation? I'm not complaining about her - clearly you can't expect a manager to flog a piece they don't believe in. Does anyone have multiple managers?

Any thoughts appreciated...

Re: When manager only likes one script?

Originally posted by mlongton View Post
    After years of cold querying I finally got a manager. She seems to be well connected, was enthusiastic about the script and got it into a couple of top-rung companies -- though it hasn't sold. Meanwhile, I have a pile of scripts, a couple of which I think are possibly stronger than the one she's shopping around. But she doesn't like them. What does one do in this situation? I'm not complaining about her - clearly you can't expect a manager to flog a piece they don't believe in. Does anyone have multiple managers?

Any thoughts appreciated...

This is a frustrating issue, and you're not the first person to experience it.

You're right that it's tough to ask a rep to send around something they don't believe in. But it's totally unacceptable for a rep to just say "Nah" and leave it at that. If she doesn't like your scripts, she needs to articulate why-- does she not feel they're right for the market, or does she feel that they're bad? If it's the former... well, there's always SOMETHING you can do with a good script, even if you can't send it to 50 producers; if it's the latter, she needs to articulate her objections and let you decide if her notes are a) any good, and b) fixable.

If she feels the premises don't merit the time it would take you to fix the execution, that's very possibly a reasonable opinion, but she needs to articulate and justify that opinion.

If you ultimately disagree-- if you think the scripts are strong the way they are, and she still won't send them out... well then it may be time for a change.

Comment

No to multiple managers.

Every writer has older scripts that their reps aren't into. I certainly do. Some of them I still believe in, others I used to love but make me cringe now. Could be she doesn't like the older stuff because she thinks you're a better writer now. Another aspect is that managers always want "new". The fact that she even invested the time to read a bunch of your older works is a positive. Sounds to me like she is into your writing but wants something new, not something that's been around a while.
      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

It's a tough place to be in, that's for sure.

When you're unrepped, every script in your catalogue feels like it has a chance. Every no is bringing you closer to the coveted yes.

But suddenly, when you have a rep and she says "no"... well, then what? No is no. It sucks.

The best advice I can give you is to be patient. Work on new material and be sure to carefully cultivate your rep's enthusiasm toward that new material (without ever giving her too much creative influence over you; it's a creative death sentence when a writer starts writing FOR their rep).

Eventually, you might realize those old scripts weren't that great. You move on and chalk them up as learning experiences.

OR you'll go to a meeting one day and you'll see an opening to pitch one of those old projects. The moment you independently get an exec interested in a script, your rep will quickly rewrite history and glow about how much she always loved that project and it just needed to find the right home first.

One of the keys to being a professional writer is learning how to manage your rep's enthusiasm.

Comment

I used to be with someone who didn't seem to like anything else I came up with beyond just the two scripts he was shopping at the time. I pitched him idea after idea after idea, showed him old scripts galore, etc... he never responded well to anything. We eventually realized we simply were not on the same page and parted ways.

I'm now with a manager (and agent) who loves and is shopping or packaging multiple scripts of mine (old and new), and he gives me great feedback on new ideas. Even if he's not super into an idea he at least gives me logical explanations for why - usually related to the current market as opposed to just his own personal taste. But usually he's into them and trusts my vision.

The latter is what you want in a manager. That being said, I'd suggest pitching her some NEW stuff for awhile. Maybe she just doesn't view your older material as strong the way you do, and she could be right! So I'd definitely try pitching some new material and ideas and if she shoots multiple of those down as well, then you re-analyze this relationship if you have to. Because you just never know. It could be that you're just not producing multiple quality, sellable projects and just don't see it because it's hard to be objective about your own work sometimes. Or, it could be that you two just aren't a good fit. But be 100% sure it's not the first before you assume it's the latter.

Comment

This is all good advice. I'm just going to hand in there a while - not burn any bridges. I don't think the "old vs. new" thing really applies in this case, since some of the ones she didn't like were actually newer. Hard to say what's new, since everything I have is always being re-written.

Comment

Working...
            X