No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer's portfolio websites

hi all,

Does anyone have any good examples of Writer's portfolio websites???

I just have a crappy landing page and am thinking of upping my game. It's just a hard thing to work out exactly what needs to be on it... it's not like it's ever going to bring in a film project, but commercial ones, maybe.

Ta

Re: Writer's portfolio websites

Here’s one for which this poster created the home page image. She has what I describe as an “excellent” writer’s portfolio website:

lauridonahue.com
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I use Wix.com for my site.

I like David Cornue's site. https://www.davidcornue.com/ He does use it for traffic and business.

I occasionally have had contacts from my website, but the traffic is from The Black List in most cases. I did it myself short order.

lisamolusis.com
      Last edited by finalact4; 08-13-2020, 06:27 AM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Ah, these are great. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Javi Grillo Marxuach

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/downloads.html

John August

https://johnaugust.com/library

Comment

Javi's looks like a lot of great samples. Digging in...
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
              Javi's looks like a lot of great samples. Digging in...
              Agreed, love the example of the sizzle reel he made for Degensis.

http://okbjgm.weebly.com/degenesis.html

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post

Yeah, that's a great pitch vid. Although stretching the "educational use only" line a shade!

Comment

Originally posted by huntaaar View Post
                  Yeah, that's a great pitch vid. Although stretching the "educational use only" line a shade!
                  It stretches it more than “a shade.” “Please don’t sue us.” Ha.
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 08-09-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Read AFTERSHOCK pilot today. Really good.

Comment

Do you guys really want your material floating around on the web like this? I'm not sure that's the best idea.

Some writers or people in the industry just have a website as a cover page, perhaps with some awards listed or small resume notes, so people can contact them or their reps.

If you're doing it for consulting services though you'll need much more content, as now we're talking about a business.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                        Do you guys really want your material floating around on the web like this? I'm not sure that's the best idea.
                        Speaking for myself, yes, I think it's a good idea for a writer to have a website. My material is protected by copyright. What is it you're afraid will happen?

How is having your own landing page/website any different than having a profile page on The Black List, Tracking Board, Zoetrope, Stage 32, or any other number of screenwriting websites?

Some writers or people in the industry just have a website as a cover page, perhaps with some awards listed or small resume notes, so people can contact them or their reps.
                        To each his own. What do you do if you have no reps, but want a professional internet presence?

If you're doing it for consulting services though you'll need much more content, as now we're talking about a business.
                        I'm not sure what you mean. If you consult your website could say so and samples can either be on the actual site or available upon request.

Javi Grillo-Marxuach as well as John August and Craig Mazin feel pretty safe about having their writing online, what's the difference? Their work is protected by the same laws yours and mine are.

That's the way I see it. Having a professional landing page/website can convey a sense of legitimacy.
                        Last edited by finalact4; 08-09-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post

For a writer to have copyrighted material on a website for potential producers, managers, or representatives to view can save time by skipping a step. It's also a chance for the writer to put forth a visual layout that can help enhance the writer's appeal beyond their written words.

Comment

I know the idea of screenwriters having personal websites containing their scripts is relatively recent, and I'm sure there's opinions either way. Personally I think it's an interesting way to get people in the industry (who may have enjoyed something you wrote) to have a risk-free way of looking at what else you've done.

I'm talking about aspiring screenwriters btw. For writers as successful as Javier, his site is just an example of a really nice guy trying to help upcoming writers by showing his work, and something I appreciate very much.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              Speaking for myself, yes, I think it's a good idea for a writer to have a website. My material is protected by copyright. What is it you're afraid will happen?

How is having your own landing page/website any different than having a profile page on The Black List, Tracking Board, Zoetrope, Stage 32, or any other number of screenwriting websites?

To each his own. What do you do if you have no reps, but want a professional internet presence?

I'm not sure what you mean. If you consult your website could say so and samples can either be on the actual site or available upon request.

Javi Grillo-Marxuach as well as John August and Craig Mazin feel pretty safe about having their writing online, what's the difference? Their work is protected by the same laws yours and mine are.

That's the way I see it. Having a professional landing page/website can convey a sense of legitimacy.
                              Sure, your material is secure as a whole, but someone can still take your idea legally and write their own story.

Those guys feel safe because their work has already been pitched out to the industry prior to them putting it online. For an unknown writer to post their work online is dangerous, in my opinion. Scripts aren't usually stolen as you know but if you understand how SEO works, you know that your personal website will never receive any traffic at all except from people who google your name.

Companies spend thousands of dollars a month on SEO to ensure that they're at the top of google when say you type in "diverse screenwriters in LA."

With that said, people going to your site will only be people who already know about you. Maybe through linkedin, or one of the other sites you named, or you handed them a business card, etc. To add to that, if they know about you through those areas, they also probably have your email, or can find it easily on your site if you just have a landing page. They're obviously intrigued enough to research you, so sending a 25 sec email is not a big deal. They'll reach out and ask for your work.

That's why you usually see a lot of artists that just have landing pages for contact info/rep info. Quick bio snip mostly, maybe some awards won. I'm not saying to be super secretive with your work, but would your manager advocate you posting your work all over the internet? Maybe that's a good question to ask them.

With consulting, I meant to say that if you're a screenplay consultant, you'll want more content on your site like a blog, tips on what makes a great script, maybe some samples of coverage you did, etc. That now becomes a business, so you're selling your services.

Hope that clarifies my previous thoughts and concerns.

Comment

Working...
                              X