Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between (O.S.) and (O.C.)

I prefer to drill a little differently on this stuff than David K, probably owing to my years as a reader and preferring quick clarity -- I don't use VO for TV or radio. I specify (ON TV) or (ON RADIO) or (THROUGH SPEAKERS) or whatever.

And with your SIGNS example, I'd start with the REPORTER (ON TV) and then he talks and then they show the footage and all of this is still (ON TV).

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Jarvinen View Post
      MJ, that's the way I did a long distance phone call when the other party isn't seen.

I also used it when voices came out from a vehicle but the speakers are not seen.
      Don't forget long distance phone calls aren't formatted the same way as local calls.

Comment

yea, I could have left out "long distance"
        would have saved both of us some typing

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
          The easiest way to remember it is this: if the character (actor) is physically present in the scene, but out of view of the camera, then it is (O.S.). Everything else is V.O. (or the equivalent ON PHONE etc.). I might be wrong about some things, but I'm not wrong about this.
          No, that goes in the former category too.

The criteria is if the sound is audible (potentially, barring earplugs) to the characters on screen. If it is, it is O.S. If it isn't, it is V.O.

Comment

Originally posted by jcgary View Post
            I prefer to drill a little differently on this stuff than David K, probably owing to my years as a reader and preferring quick clarity -- I don't use VO for TV or radio. I specify (ON TV) or (ON RADIO) or (THROUGH SPEAKERS) or whatever.

And with your SIGNS example, I'd start with the REPORTER (ON TV) and then he talks and then they show the footage and all of this is still (ON TV).
            I agree with this. The use of VO for dialogue that is not narration or thought track, such as TV, radio, etc. has passed out of fashion and these days most writers are doing what you say above. And I agree it does make it clearer.
            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by Armak View Post
              No, that goes in the former category too.

The criteria is if the sound is audible (potentially, barring earplugs) to the characters on screen. If it is, it is O.S. If it isn't, it is V.O.
              If you are saying that if a character hears dialogue from a TV or radio or speakerphone then it's OS... well, we'll simply have to agree to disagree.
              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
              X