Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to navigate this?

OK, so newbie TV writer here. A few weeks ago, I got in touch with someone who is producing a small local TV comedy sketch show who was looking for comedy sketch writers.

For some reason, they asked to see some of my samples (I didn't have any, so I quickly wrote a few sketches and sent them off, they wanted 6, I gave them one a day for 5 days (plus 2 the last day)).

They say they will set up a contract once 6 of their hour-long episodes have aired. I have no idea when this will be or what the contract will look like. (How much does one get paid for a 5 minute sketch in general anyway?) There appear to be 20 writers on their writers pool. Since then (since after I finished submitting my sketches), I've received no more feedback from them, but I'm still in the writers' mailing list.

So what now? I got in the habit of thinking up at least 1 sketch a day, so I still have oodles of stuff/inspiration to write...but then again I don't want to waste my time writing this (when I'd rather write a feature screenplay, for instance), if they won't use it / I won't get paid.

The only contact I have is this producer person that got in touch with me (and who sort of ignores my questions as to what the next steps are). I'm not sure who else is involved or what the name of the production company is or if they're serious or not. From what I can gather it looks like they just assembled a random collection of local writers including local entertainers and circus actors and things like that, so I suspect I just got recruited for the hell of it just to see what would happen. They do seem to have a TV slot for 6 guaranteed episodes though. Not sure how that happened for them or anything, given that they appear to be small/new. (shrug).

Any ideas? What do I do now? And what are the chances I'll get paid?

Re: How to navigate this?

Originally posted by blueshrimp View Post
    OK, so newbie TV writer here. A few weeks ago, I got in touch with someone who is producing a small local TV comedy sketch show who was looking for comedy sketch writers.

For some reason, they asked to see some of my samples (I didn't have any, so I quickly wrote a few sketches and sent them off, they wanted 6, I gave them one a day for 5 days (plus 2 the last day)).

They say they will set up a contract once 6 of their hour-long episodes have aired. I have no idea when this will be or what the contract will look like. (How much does one get paid for a 5 minute sketch in general anyway?) There appear to be 20 writers on their writers pool. Since then (since after I finished submitting my sketches), I've received no more feedback from them, but I'm still in the writers' mailing list.

So what now? I got in the habit of thinking up at least 1 sketch a day, so I still have oodles of stuff/inspiration to write...but then again I don't want to waste my time writing this (when I'd rather write a feature screenplay, for instance), if they won't use it / I won't get paid.

The only contact I have is this producer person that got in touch with me (and who sort of ignores my questions as to what the next steps are). I'm not sure who else is involved or what the name of the production company is or if they're serious or not. From what I can gather it looks like they just assembled a random collection of local writers including local entertainers and circus actors and things like that, so I suspect I just got recruited for the hell of it just to see what would happen. They do seem to have a TV slot for 6 guaranteed episodes though. Not sure how that happened for them or anything, given that they appear to be small/new. (shrug).

Any ideas? What do I do now? And what are the chances I'll get paid?
    Sounds like the wanabee TV moguls who populate Craig's List in every city and town. Is this TV slot on a local station or cable access, perchance?

Comment

Re: How to navigate this?

Well, they said it would air on "Fox". I suppose they meant some sort of local variant of Fox. I don't know how cable works (I don't watch much TV), but either way, so long as it airs it doesn't matter to me, it aired! What matters to me is do I get paid, and does it really air at all (even if it is at 2:00 a.m. or whatever).

Looks like the executive producer associated with this group is a minor actor. Some guy who ends up in mainstream TV series for minor two or three line roles when the series gets filmed in said city. He seems to be involved in many other businesses otherwise. Maybe he's just a guy with money to throw around and needs projects to do so he cooked up this one. Still...

I guess my question is. Do I keep writing without a contract, for free? Or do I just chalk this up to "experience" and concentrate on something else?

Comment

Working...
      X