Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
vanderbilt
New User

Default Discovery Channel

Has anyone pitched to The Discovery/Travel Channel? I have an adventure travel documentary that seems dead on for them.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
vanderbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
GreatOz

Default Re: Discovery Channel

Discovery Channel Canada used to accept pitches... Go to Google, type: "Discovery Channel" Canada pitch -- and then hit the "Cached" file (the website has been taken down.)

You'll have to do the same for the "material waiver" on the site, still available as a cache file.

Also, I've seen the National Geographic channel show up at a few pitch sessions.
GreatOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
DavidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbilt View Post
Has anyone pitched to The Discovery/Travel Channel? I have an adventure travel documentary that seems dead on for them.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
We used to produce long form series for Discovery. All pitches must now be done online - if you got to their website you'll find a link where you can register and submit your idea. It needs to be well thought out and you need to have a good handle on budgeting and production aspects, and a track record.
The Travel & Adventure Channel no longer exists, it has been changed to travel and lifestyle (a shame, IMO...).
Discovery operates regionally - each region is run autonymously: Nth America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific, Europe... If you pitch a project it will first be considered by the region in which it is pitched. If they like it they will offer it to other Discovery regions and if some of them buy in they'll start looking at finance and sponsorship/advertising avenues.

Discovery and NatGeo have very fixed ideas about what they want, they are tending to become more sensationalist and gimmicky, and tend to play it safe, going with what they currently know sells. It's a desperate ratings war at the moment and the TV industry is chasing its tail.

Also they are inundated with proposals, particularly of a travel nature, so it's difficult to cross the threshold. PM me if you need more detailed advice.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
DavidK

BTW - if you want to PM me a synopsis/outline I'll give you a heads up on where you stand with it.