Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #41
NYNEX

Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boski View Post
Not when it comes to posting loglines on a public forum. That's not paranois it's simple prudence.

I wouldn't post my best loglines on a public forum like this.

I'll gladly show them to industry pros via mail/email etc where I can maintain at least some semblance of a paper trail, but just tossing them out to a forum of wannabe screenwriters isn't the best idea IMO.

On the other hand, if I had a logline that's as genius as Gold's "real" logline, I probably wouldn't be having the problem that generated this thread.
Have you ever been a script reader, Boski? Production companies and agencies often have interns who are not on the payroll read scripts and write coverage. Since they aren't even on the payroll, there would never be any proof that they read your script, and many of these readers are wanna be screenwriters. In short, whenever you submit a script, you potentially toss your work out in front of other wanna be screenwriters.

GoldStarWriter, you probably need to have your logline and your screenplay critiqued by experienced screenwriters or script consultants if this is your first script.

It might be good for you to read other's scripts too, both actual produced scripts and the scripts of newbie screenwriters. That helps a lot in the learning process. And feedback from others can be vital on issues like format, structure, character development, and dialogue.

And by the way, if one's work is good enough to be stolen, then the writer has no worries.

Why?

All movies are rip offs or variations of other movies anyway. So if your script is really that good, you'll still make a sale to a producer or get a work for hire, regardless of whether your script is stolen. However, I suspect that most beginner scripts are so bad the writer couldn't pay anyone to steal them.

See how horrible most of the people are on American Idol? It's the same for new writers.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #42
dpaterso

4 years in the writing, 7 years developing story concept -- it must be one hell of a script.

-Derek

dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #43
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStarWriter View Post
Obviously you should know about people who would purposly do anything to make a personal gain 4 themselves - steal a person's work/ idea. Sorry but I worked 4+ years writing my screenplay, 7+ years on the story concept so there's no way I'd share it on a public forum.
Lame. I have no problem with you not posting a logline, but posting one and not mentioning that it's fake makes you look like a moron. I have a hard time believing that you have spent literally years working on a script but don't understand the basic protocol of contacting production companies. Troll?
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 PM   #44
NYNEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boski View Post
In fact, I bet most agents and managers would advise their writers against posting their best loglines/concepts on public forums like this, but we all know reps have no problem submitting scripts directly to prodcos, even ones with unpaid interns.
I'm not sure that agents and managers would care.

If I posted a logline here, even if someone were inspired enough to write a whole screenplay from it, it would NOT be the same as my screenplay.

Concepts, loglines, and ideas are not gold. The execution of them is what really matters.

As for posting my loglines in public forums, I don't do that, not out of fear, but there's no point. I have no problem getting read, and I'm repped.

If you are a screenwriter who cannot get people to read your work, you need all the help you can get in improving your work. Therefore, you need to show your loglines and work to experienced people. And you need to admit that your work is probably so bad at this stage you couldn't pay someone to steal it. Paranoia only hurts the paranoid writer.

And why bother posting a fake logline? That doesn't do the original poster any good, as his "real" logline is not being critiqued.

I actually think that the logline that was critiqued may very well have been one of Goldstar's "real" loglines. It's quite possible he or she felt embarrassed by the reactions of others to it, but instead of taking their constructive criticism, he became all defensive.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM   #45
Robot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNEX View Post

If you are a screenwriter who cannot get people to read your work, you need all the help you can get in improving your work. Therefore, you need to show your loglines and work to experienced people. And you need to admit that your work is probably so bad at this stage you couldn't pay someone to steal it. Paranoia only hurts the paranoid writer.

And why bother posting a fake logline? That doesn't do the original poster any good, as his "real" logline is not being critiqued.

I actually think that the logline that was critiqued may very well have been one of Goldstar's "real" loglines. It's quite possible he or she felt embarrassed by the reactions of others to it, but instead of taking their constructive criticism, he became all defensive.
Exactly.

Bot
Old 02-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #46
Archive

I have to say, the fact that this writer is going on about how long it took is a pretty good sign that they feel the work is done, and it's time to reap the rewards. That's not how this business works.

Additionally, if something took eleven years to develop and write, chances are good that the author is not in the daily practice of writing. It's a skill. It needs to be honed. If Ted Williams hit only one baseball every ten years, do you really think it would be a home-run? No. Of course you don't. Why do you think writing is any different?

If I were you, my focus would be on writing another script, right away. Don't even pass this one out. Babies learn faster than adults, partialy because there is so much they don't know about the world - and most notably, the simple things.