No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
    1) Readers are not able to see the ratings or previous evaluations of a script.
    2) Industry pros viewing the HTML version of the script are still counted as downloads.
    3) Adding this is something on the to do list. Most writers - as far as I can tell - have been able to deduce the industry scores by keeping track of their average and doing the math as it changes.
    4) To qualify for the overall top scripts, the script must have an average higher than the worldwide community average (currently: 6.81). To qualify for the top uploaded script lists, the script must have an average higher than the average for uploaded scripts (as of December 15, approx 5.2)
    Hi Franklin,

Are readers able to see the reps for a script? And will notification emails for downloads be coming in the future? It'd be great to have the latter in order to keep track of what and when scripts are being read.

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Franklin,

Thanks for answering these questions.

1) Is there any "contact us" on the site? I can't find a way to email a question or concern.

2) Also, for some reason my genre shows up as N/A. I clicked last week to "Edit Details" but it won't let me change it myself - it forwards a request, but no one's fixed it yet. Can't we fix our own scripts? I'd also like to tweak the logline - didn't realize the one I entered initially was permanent. But when I sent that as part of the same genre request last week, there's been no change.

3) Do the execs who are looking at the database have an easy way to search by rating? Because as a writer who joined, even though it lets me search top downloaded or most favorite or whatever, I can't find any way to see my script unless I go through my own name.

That makes me nervous that I'm spending $25 a month and it's not easy for people to find my script. (I scored an 8 overall BTW.) Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
        Is it true that you buy lunch for writers who land on the end of the year Black List? I am asking for a friend.
        You may be getting lunch from a lot more people. I just saw EXTRA on the tube and they were praising Rodham! Said it was one of the hottest scripts floating around!

They said given Hillary's popularity, it would be a great choice for a film. However, they did add that it contained overly fictionalized elements. Meh, so did The Social Network.
        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by adam612 View Post
          Franklin,

Thanks for answering these questions.

1) Is there any "contact us" on the site? I can't find a way to email a question or concern.

2) Also, for some reason my genre shows up as N/A. I clicked last week to "Edit Details" but it won't let me change it myself - it forwards a request, but no one's fixed it yet. Can't we fix our own scripts? I'd also like to tweak the logline - didn't realize the one I entered initially was permanent. But when I sent that as part of the same genre request last week, there's been no change.

3) Do the execs who are looking at the database have an easy way to search by rating? Because as a writer who joined, even though it lets me search top downloaded or most favorite or whatever, I can't find any way to see my script unless I go through my own name.

That makes me nervous that I'm spending $25 a month and it's not easy for people to find my script. (I scored an 8 overall BTW.) Hopefully I'm wrong.

Thanks again
          Go to your My Scripts Page. In the middle of page is a revisions tab and then hit update information. You can make all updates from there. Contacts for questions are on the ABOUT US page.

Comment

Wow, thanks Coffeywriter.

I looked all over and couldn't find any way to do that.

Really appreciate it.

Comment

Another thing that's odd, I checked off "make review public" in one spot... then just noticed another area under the "privacy" heading on "myscripts" that was marked no for 'make public'.

I changed them both to yes.

Comment

Wow, thanks Coffeywriter.

I looked all over and couldn't find any way to do that.

Really appreciate it.
                I learned the hard way! Once you enter your genres, people can find you that way. When you make your updates you will show up in recent activity log on site's front page. So you will have some exposure there for about a day as well. Also, as an 8 overall, your script should be going out in the Monday email next week (if you got your score this week or it may go out the following week because the holiday 8s are getting two weeks). I believe. And if you got 8s in specific areas (premise/dialogue etc) you will go out in a Friday email for industry insiders who requested notification for scripts that did well in those areas. I hope this is understandable. Not sure I got it all right, but hopefully I'm close.

I am curious to know how you can do a search by rating. Anyone know?

Comment

@adam -- how long did your review take?

Comment

I got the review in 9 or 10 days, which was nice. Thanks for all that info - since it's so difficult to search (at least as a writer and not an exec) I was getting worried about anyone actually seeing my work. But you've made me feel better.

Comment

I got the review in 9 or 10 days, which was nice. Thanks for all that info - since it's so difficult to search (at least as a writer and not an exec) I was getting worried about anyone actually seeing my work. But you've made me feel better.
                      Glad I could help. Don't forget if you are online like Twitter or frequent any screenwriting blogs -- you can direct people to your script that way. You will likely get a lot of writers (impressions) looking at your page but you could get industry insiders (downloads) too.

Comment

@ adam -- make sure with your genre, you dont just list comedy -- because you will be one of hundreds among 90+ pages of script names. Try to include all the subgenres you can to make the competitive lists smaller. Good luck! FYI, I found your script on the site. What a great review! For the record, I love WHAT ABOUT BOB? In addition to Overall email, you will go out in characters and dialogue emails.
                        Last edited by coffeywriter; 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkeyofSpec View Post
                          How many ratings has your script received?

And just so we're on the same page, you're trying to determine why your script that scored a 9 is not listed on the top 15 uploaded side, correct?
                          I understand that I need to have at least two reviews to be listed among the top scripts and so that's why I'm not there -- yet.

I'm just trying to reconcile the statement that all "above average" scripts are on the top scripts list with the fact that there are only 15 on the list. So at this point I'm assuming that the "above average" statement was an over-simplified description of how it works.
                          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Another thing that's odd, I checked off "make review public" in one spot... then just noticed another area under the "privacy" heading on "myscripts" that was marked no for 'make public'.

I changed them both to yes.
                            WOW! Thanks for pointing that out. I would NEVER have found that on my own. The site really needs to explain that -- especially for people with strong ratings. Be interesting to see if that has any impact on my downloads, which have been stuck at 5 for a few days.

And I still haven't seen an answer to the question of whether people can search by ratings... did I miss it?

Comment

Originally posted by coffeywriter View Post
                              And if you got 8s in specific areas (premise/dialogue etc) you will go out in a Friday email for industry insiders who requested notification for scripts that did well in those areas.
                              I got 9s in everything except plot, which got an 8. So I guess I'll be in the Friday newsletter?

I'm curious why the BL sees the need for TWO newsletters -- one for just components and one for scripts overall?

Comment

Yet more questions:

The writer can see an average rating for all of the writer's posted scripts on the "ANALYTICS FOR HOSTED SCRIPTS" page.

Can industry users see that too, and even search for it?

For example, can an industry user search for "writers with an average of 8 and up who write comedy" or something like that?

Also, if industry people CAN see that average, does the overall number include scores that aren't marked public?

Comment

Working...
                                X