Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Writers & Scripts
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #41
NoirDigits
Member
 
NoirDigits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 648
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I don't believe him sharing scripts affects the writers.

Tracking Board does the exact same thing! Difference is they charge you money for it.
Is it possible that both are acting in an unethical manner?
__________________
Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.
NoirDigits is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
BurningWorld
Regular
 
BurningWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 366
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Sharing scripts? That happens. Reviewing scripts? Awful.
__________________
Introduce a little anarchy.
BurningWorld is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #43
emily blake
Member
 
emily blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,721
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
Actually, that's not true. If you have any account supported by Disqus, your comment goes up straightaway. I've seen plenty of critics in the comments section (back in the day when I would read Scriptshadow from time to time, although mostly I just went there for the script links).
My comment two days ago was not approved. He approved comments that made his detractors sound like angry lunatics, but not mine, which I carefully crafted to be polite and logical - more expressive of my disappointment than anything else.

Later, after we had a conversation about this situation, he offered to let me repost it. But honestly, I don't think it matters. He's made up his mind, as have so many of his followers. No matter the reasons, he is doing what many of us have asked - changing his site to focus more on amateur material. I think that's the best we're going to get.
__________________
Chicks Who Script podcast
emily blake is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #44
Harbinger
Member
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,523
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
I'm still not convinced that the distribution and review at Scriptshadow of screenplays that just sold or are in development is damaging to the project or the writers. I can't believe anybody that matters cares about his opinion or influence.

I just don't see it.
It is (or does?).

But maybe you don't think that studios take notice of the smaller people. They've got better things to do right? LIMAMA may have something to say about that.

Studios care. Because this game has become so much about fine numbers, that the smallest thing can be the difference between B.O. #1 and #2.

Look at it this way (and this is purely a hypothetical exercise).

Scriptshadow Twitter has 12,000 followers rounded up.

Carson pans a script for a movie months before release on twitter. From a review that was an early troubled draft.

Everyone on twitter collectively decides not to go spend their $10-

Movie opens $120,000 down. Where the point 1's can be the difference between #1 and #2 at opening weekend.


Now of course, this is not how the industry works and no way would that many galvanize, but it's a way of illustrating how the little man can make a big noise. And studios will do anything to ensure that #1 placing. Hollywood is strewn with stories of seriously underhand tactics to that end.

So now Scriptshadow is on the radar for studios. And they begin to panic because not only can they not stop in-production scripts leaking out, but now there's an ACTUAL forum where they're discussed in public.

Who are first to suffer?

The writers. Because if a studio can't control the product, it'll control the ones handling it. Writers will be forced to only write on the lot and on company sanctioned and secured property. No more trips to the coffee shop. You'll be tied up in wavers and contracts. That sound far fetched? This is a multi-billion dollar industry. If they can't control the distribution of scripts, they'll lock down everything so that those scripts never see the light of day.

The last thing Hollywood needs is MORE paperwork.

Next, the writer takes a second hit. Because bad publicity on an in-production project effects the relationship between studio and writer. And the last thing the studio wants to admit is an intern their end leaked the script. So they'll look to all sources away from their own doorstep. That includes the writer.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Harbinger is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
lordmanji
Member
 
lordmanji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

With SS now announcing that he will refrain considerably from reviewing new specs, I think what's been missing is thanks to those who have been most vocally calling for this change, excuse me if I leave off anyone: John Gary, bitter script reader, Michael botti, Brian scully, Emily Blake and more. This benefits all screenwriters, even if they can't see it yet.
lordmanji is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #46
Chief
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 906
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
It is (or does?).

But maybe you don't think that studios take notice of the smaller people. They've got better things to do right? LIMAMA may have something to say about that.

Studios care. Because this game has become so much about fine numbers, that the smallest thing can be the difference between B.O. #1 and #2.

Look at it this way (and this is purely a hypothetical exercise).

Scriptshadow Twitter has 12,000 followers rounded up.

Carson pans a script for a movie months before release on twitter. From a review that was an early troubled draft.

Everyone on twitter collectively decides not to go spend their $10-

Movie opens $120,000 down. Where the point 1's can be the difference between #1 and #2 at opening weekend.


Now of course, this is not how the industry works and no way would that many galvanize, but it's a way of illustrating how the little man can make a big noise. And studios will do anything to ensure that #1 placing. Hollywood is strewn with stories of seriously underhand tactics to that end.

So now Scriptshadow is on the radar for studios. And they begin to panic because not only can they not stop in-production scripts leaking out, but now there's an ACTUAL forum where they're discussed in public.

Who are first to suffer?

The writers. Because if a studio can't control the product, it'll control the ones handling it. Writers will be forced to only write on the lot and on company sanctioned and secured property. No more trips to the coffee shop. You'll be tied up in wavers and contracts. That sound far fetched? This is a multi-billion dollar industry. If they can't control the distribution of scripts, they'll lock down everything so that those scripts never see the light of day.

The last thing Hollywood needs is MORE paperwork.

Next, the writer takes a second hit. Because bad publicity on an in-production project effects the relationship between studio and writer. And the last thing the studio wants to admit is an intern their end leaked the script. So they'll look to all sources away from their own doorstep. That includes the writer.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
No offense Harbinger, but this is something John August said in 2009. It's 2012 now and it hasn't happened yet.
Chief is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #47
Dr. Vergerus
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

@Harbinger: I'm not trying to be obtuse here but I honestly don't think Scriptshadow's influence amounts to much.
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #48
Harbinger
Member
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,523
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
No offense Harbinger, but this is something John August said in 2009. It's 2012 now and it hasn't happened yet.
2013

No offense taken.

Doesn't mean that it won't.
Harbinger is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #49
Harbinger
Member
 
Harbinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,523
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
@Harbinger: I'm not trying to be obtuse here but I honestly don't think Scriptshadow's influence amounts to much.
Don't mean to be obtuse either. Just healthy debate

BUT

I hate to use LIMAMA again without her consent, but you think that little debacle warranted the insane millions put into it?

What was Limama's influence?
Harbinger is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #50
Chief
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 906
Default Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

I'm interested to see what the newsletter will look like without the pro-reviews.
Chief is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker