Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #151
padnar
New User

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
"Chalk this up as being barely a surprise. A study recently found that, of the 250 top-grossing Hollywood films, only 9% of the directors were women in 2012. And that is actually an increase from 4% in 2011. The study comes out as indie producers announced the launch of a new production company at the Sundance Film Festival: Tangerine Entertainment, which will focus on female directors and "strong roles for women.""

http://movieline.com/2013/01/22/wome...to-narrow-gap/
I will be very happy if production companies approach me as I write women centric crossover feature scripts in English. Women play a pivotal role in my scripts.
padnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #152
sc111

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
I think women who are control freak "bitches" would make great directors. Time to redirect their attention away from the husband and kids and onto the set.
I don't know if being a control freak is a good thing for film directing but ... I've had women supervisors and bosses and I found the one and only control freak I worked for actually slowed down productivity because she would get distracted by minutiae that was really someone else's job. I only worked for her about a year before she was let go and I got her position.

Example, she once wasted an hour starting a controversy over the fact that the dept. secretary didn't ask her to approve the choice for catering bagels for a morning meeting. She went up the ladder complaining about it. Meanwhile that hour needed to be applied to properly preparing for the meeting. With the CEO. Who expected perfection. Seriously? Bagels? Who cares?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #153
Rantanplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I don't know if being a control freak is a good thing for film directing but ... I've had women supervisors and bosses and I found the one and only control freak I worked for actually slowed down productivity because she would get distracted by minutiae that was really someone else's job. I only worked for her about a year before she was let go and I got her position.

Example, she once wasted an hour starting a controversy over the fact that the dept. secretary didn't ask her to approve the choice for catering bagels for a morning meeting. She went up the ladder complaining about it. Meanwhile that hour needed to be applied to properly preparing for the meeting. With the CEO. Who expected perfection. Seriously? Bagels? Who cares?
Well too much is too much, but what I meant in a more general sense is that there are skills and even personality traits that can be viewed as annoying or negative in some contexts and right for the job in another. Sure film is about collaboration, but ultimately the director is the one giving the orders on just about every aspect of production (and pre-, and post-). For instance, those bagels or muffins might be a big deal to some directors in a scene. Maybe the lead character is a health nut, and the P.A. went out and bought the wrong kind of breakfast treat. If the people in the props / art department don't notice that, then it's up to the director to notice. Many great directors have been qualified as tyrants by the people who work with them and admire them (off the top of my head, I seem to recall that being said about Cameron and Kubrick for example, and the opening scene of SOCIAL NETWORK required close to 100 takes if I remember correctly). Obviously it works in their favor professionally... And the whole "bitch" thing, well we know how it's often considered to be a character flaw in a woman but a sign of "strength and authority" in a man. Whatever it is, it can be an advantage on a set.

Similarly, women who are used to dealing with spouse, kids, career and house all at once probably have amazing multitasking skills-- something that's also useful when you're being asked to approve shot lists, lighting, costumes, make-up, hair and props, to go over blocking and acting, sooth egos, pacify producers, tweak dialogue with the writer, and much more all at the same time.

So I think it's kind of cool, in a sense, that some of the things that might make people --men and women alike-- difficult to live with or work with, can also make them incredibly good at the job they do. Maybe a lot of people never realize they have those abilities because it never occurs to them to give it a shot, or if it does occur to them, they don't have the confidence to actually go through with it.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #154
carcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
I think women who are control freak "bitches" would make great directors. Time to redirect their attention away from the husband and kids and onto the set.
See, this, to me, sums up a lot of the problem. This perception that a woman who directs is a "bitch", even in quotation marks, and a control freak and a lousy wife and mother, whose family would be happy to be rid of her. Would anybody give two seconds thought to a male director's family? And control freak is not really all that good for director. It chokes the life out of the subordinates. It's a collaborative art and one of the key ingredients is to be able to accept input from people, and women are good at that. A director should be a clear, confident leader, and that goes for both genders.

I get that this was meant to be humorous, at least I hope so, but this could have come straight out of the mouth of my misogynistic former boss.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #155
sc111

I guess we would all have to agree on the definition of a "bitch" as it applies to work environments and reigning as boss over others.

I define bitch much like the supervisor I mentioned above. Someone looking to place blame, find fault and make others look bad; hypervigilante about protecting her territory to the point of control-freak ridicuousness; unable to delegate or even consider others' ideas because she doesn't want anyone else to shine. You know, the kind of person who is currenly called a workplace bully -- and studies show both men and women can be workplace bullies.

I agree with carcar points. especially this one:

Quote:
Would anybody give two seconds thought to a male director's family?
On a related note, I was googling around and found this about the double-bind women find themselves in when in leadership roles:

Quote:
Young women may face unique challenges in asserting and developing a leadership style. Some struggle with managing others while maintaining a “good girl” image. They don’t want to be ignored, but they don’t want to be seen as too pushy, either. It’s a delicate balance to find a style that’s effective and feels like a good fit.

Leadership experts say women must navigate a “double-bind”: If they assert themselves forcefully, people may perceive them as not acting feminine enough, triggering a backlash. But if they act in a stereotypically feminine way, they aren’t seen as strong leaders.

http://guides.wsj.com/management/developing-a-leadership-style/how-can-young-women-develop-a-leadership-style/
Another thing I wonder may come into play -- tooting one's own horn. I've been listening to men talk about their own accomplishments all my adult life. And no one -- including me - takes offense that often. But when a woman does the same, it can at times come off as weird, cringe-worthy. And I'm guilty of having this reaction when I hear the way some women toot their own horn. Is this part of the good girl thingy? Still, if you're in a competitive career you have to learn how to talk about your own accomplishments in a way that works for you not against you.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #156
60WordsPerHour
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
Another thing I wonder may come into play -- tooting one's own horn. I've been listening to men talk about their own accomplishments all my adult life. And no one -- including me - takes offense that often. But when a woman does the same, it can at times come off as weird, cringe-worthy.
I think it really depends on the charisma of the person doing it.

In an (I think) positive sense, there are people of such achievement and presence that you don't really think of them primarily in gender terms. They're just impressive people. They don't necessarily have to be luminaries either.
60WordsPerHour is offline   Reply With Quote