X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousin Pete Productions / Management

I'm a little confused by this place.

http://cousinpeteproductions.com/#services

They seem like a legitimate management/production company...yet they also offer notes, coverage and phone consultations.

I thought that was a sign they're not legitimate. Are things changing or is this as weird as I think it is?
    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
    twitter.com/susanlbridges
    pendantaudio.com

Re: Cousin Pete Productions / Management

Looks like a script notes/feedback service to me.

Comment

That is weird. I had them on my list to query through VPF, but the site says explicitly:

SUBMISSIONS AND REPRESENTATION
      Sorry. Cousin Pete Productions and Management does not accept unsolicited submissions at this time. Please see Services for alternatives.

Question: Wouldn't anything that came through VPF still count as unsolicited?

Thanks for the heads up Susan!

Comment

whoops, not sure why that bio pasted here. Pete contacted me awhile back after a contest placement about six months ago, but I dont think he had this notes/services stuff on his website (can't remember if he even had a website back then)

Comment

forgot to add that he never asked for money, just the script. Seemed like a nice guy

Comment

You've got a poster here that's actually had dealings with him, so I'd be hesitant to call it a scam right off, but I'd definitely proceed with caution, because I just don't know of any legit management firms -- and by legit, I mean the kind that can actually move your career forward -- who pumps things like fee-based notes and coverage. Something like that used to be an instant "move on".
            "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

It doesn't make him a scammer right off the bat, and if he asked Bill for a script with no money that's a good sign.

Here's the deal though, do you really want a manager who has this side business taking up his time? I like that my manager only makes money when I do because it keeps him working hard for me. He can't just say "okay cool, if I sell a spec or get this guy a rewrite then great, but if not whatever I still have my consultation income."

Comment

I've noticed that he reps a few of the writers that are on "scripts everyone likes" list on the main page of the BL, but that's all I know of the company.

Comment

I know Pete. He operates on the up-and-up. He was an exec at Steve Carr's company, has solid connections and is a go-getter. For lone managers, I suppose it's a tough business and so he offers a notes service on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
                    I've noticed that he reps a few of the writers that are on "scripts everyone likes" list on the main page of the BL, but that's all I know of the company.
                    I noticed that, which is why I was checking him out.

Thanks for the feedback you guys.
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

Susan, you probably already know this given that (if I'm not mistaken) you're on the list too, but:

For what it's worth, he's managing three of the five Top Uploaded Black List scripts...

Comment

Originally posted by marcal View Post
                        Susan, you probably already know this given that (if I'm not mistaken) you're on the list too, but:

For what it's worth, he's managing three of the five Top Uploaded Black List scripts...
                        I am on the list, yes. I've been sending a few queries here and there so I was wondering if I should contact them.
                        pendantaudio.com

Comment

My writing partner and I met with him last year after he contacted us through judging one of our scripts in a contest.

He started out by getting the name of the script wrong, saying there really wasn't much to do with it around town so we should just set it aside. Instead he wanted to rep us to write ideas he came up with for us, then he would attach as a producer and take his idea out we wrote for him. He also asked us to send him all of our scripts, ideas, notes and synopsis for anything we might possibly have.

We walked away

Comment

To clarify, I'm not saying he's a scammer. He seemed like a nice guy. But the vibe in the meeting was more than a little off.

Comment

Hi everyone, this is my first post! Wooo!

Anywho, Pete reached out after reading my script on the Black List. He asked if I had anything else and I gave him loglines to two other scripts I've written.

He then asked to read them. Great!

...Until I realized I hadn't even looked at the scripts since I'd finished the first drafts. Eek. I'm wondering 2 things: 1) is it worth sending scripts that you know are not in top form? 2) how long is acceptable to delay sending two scripts after a request?

This is my first out-of-the-blue request for material and I don't want to blow it! Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Also, I can't seem to find the "services" listed on his website. Maybe he's taken it down to focus solely on managment/production?

Comment

Working...
                              X