Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #2291
SundownInRetreat

Default Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Franklin,

1) Isn't it in the writers best interests to just buy one read at a time? If you buy 1 and it scores 9 then great, job done, everyoen can see it's a 9 rated script. But if you buy 3 and your scores come 9, 7, 5 then all of a sudden your score isn't that hot.

2) Are there are pros or cons to making your reviews public? I can see how positive testimony would look good but criticisms and plot spoilers may influence new readers.

I gotta let you go...

'Cause now you've got to fly
(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
And flowers bloom in your name
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #2292
figment

Default Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Franklin,

1) Isn't it in the writers best interests to just buy one read at a time? If you buy 1 and it scores 9 then great, job done, everyoen can see it's a 9 rated script. But if you buy 3 and your scores come 9, 7, 5 then all of a sudden your score isn't that hot.
Clearly I'm not Franklin, but I think some people buy a couple of reviews at a time because if they do get an 8 or above, they still won't get on the "Top Uploaded" list unless someone else rates their script.

You need at least two ratings to end up on the Top Uploaded list (and not a lot of users seem to rate scripts).
Old 06-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #2293
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
Franklin,

2) Are there are pros or cons to making your reviews public? I can see how positive testimony would look good but criticisms and plot spoilers may influence new readers.
1) Not necessarily, which is why we let the writers decide. Certainly if you get a 9, great job, but flip the order on those and you can see why getting three would be a good thing. Moreover, @figment is right about the top lists. Though a single rating of 9 will get you included in a Monday email of scripts with overall ratings of 8 or above and likely a good number of downloads, it can't, on its own, get you included in the top lists, which require a minimum of two ratings.

That said, it's possible to buy one read, get a great rating that's followed by a bunch of downloads, and have one of the people who downloads it rate your script (thus making you eligible for the top lists), right now, only about 14% of downloads result in an eventual rating. While this is lower than we'd like it to be, it's actually quite a high "click through rate" all things considered.

2) I think you answered the question for yourself. That said, if there are egregious plot spoilers in your evaluation. Let us know. They're unacceptable and our readers are instructed to write around spoilers unless absolutely necessary to adequately comment on the screenplay.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #2294
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
Though a single rating of 9 will get you included in a Monday email of scripts with overall ratings of 8 or above and likely a good number of downloads, it can't, on its own, get you included in the top lists
Can you explain the top list and it's benefit? Or rather how it's of extra/more benefit than an email sent with a few highlighted scripts?

2) I think you answered the question for yourself. That said, if there are egregious plot spoilers in your evaluation. Let us know. They're unacceptable and our readers are instructed to write around spoilers unless absolutely necessary to adequately comment on the screenplay.[/quote]
I just wonder if it comes across as having something to hide if you hide the review? I'll PM you the content and see what you think. I have no major complaint with the review.

PS: your new layout has some nice new functions such as a clear breakdown of your page views, downloads and by whom but it took me ages to access my reviews and I've received a new rating (from a downloader it would appear) yet cannot see that either. Though I like the new layout I also think it's a bit busy - a lot of info all on one screen - and the icons will take a while to get used to. Ie: a trilby fedora for "film noir" and what looks like a coat of arms to indicate "crime". I also find the new "rate reviewer" tool (a slider and an increasing gradient - like a volume bar) to be more confusing than a star or marks-out-of-ten method.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #2295
EJ Pennypacker

I'm surprised by the new layout. I currently have a script hosted and I didn't receive any notification that a new layout was planned. It's interesting that there's a difference between downloads now between Industry members and Readers. I've only paid for one read but I noticed another reader downloaded the script. Why would a reader who I didn't pay want to download it again? I'm curious to know why.

EJ
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #2296
SundownInRetreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
I'm surprised by the new layout. I currently have a script hosted and I didn't receive any notification that a new layout was planned. It's interesting that there's a difference between downloads now between Industry members and Readers. I've only paid for one read but I noticed another reader downloaded the script. Why would a reader who I didn't pay want to download it again? I'm curious to know why.

EJ

You can't tell it's a reader though, can you? It could be an agent or producer.

I gotta let you go...

(Fly high)
Fly to the angels
Heaven awaits your heart
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #2297
EJ Pennypacker

It's listed as Pro Downloads or Reader Downloads. I assume Pro means managers/agents/producers. Reader is reader/reviewer.

EJ
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #2298
UpandComing

Wow Franklin, the new interface looks GREAT!! I think my favorite updates are the breakdown of Pro Views vs. Peer Views and Pro Downloads vs. Reader Downloads. These are changes we've been clamoring for for some time, and they provide significantly useful information. The "Quick Actions" in the left-hand margin make navigation a ton easier! The scroll-down feature for tags makes it a lot easier to select them. And the icons for genre; well, they just make the site more pretty In general, the new version is much more functional and aesthetically pleasing.

My only area of confusion is with the Extended Visibility feature, which compares all of a script's ratings with the average ratings overall on the site. It appears to automatically allow Pros to see low ratings which previously would've been covered up - wouldn't that "do some harm" to the writer?

One last thought - because there are so many new changes, do you guys have any plans to discuss and explain them in depth in any format? Like, you know, a walk-through tour or tutorial video on the site? I think most of the updates are easily understandable, but might be a good idea....

Awesome job!!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #2299
wheniswhereis
New User

Hi Franklin,

In the new interface, downloads are divided into Pro vs. Reader and Views are downloaded by Pro vs. Peer
So does this mean that the terms 'reader' and 'peer' are used interchangeably in this case?

How are Pro, Peer, and Reader different?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2300
lordmanji

Just checking out the revised layout of the site and it looks great. Here's a few quick thoughts:

1. Peer/pro views and downloads are now indicated separately, striking a fine balance between users' desire to know who's reading vs anonymity for members.

2. Top uploads over the last month are now featured prominently with logline on the front page and without having to click through page after page. IMO, an even better way to attract industry eyeballs.

3. There's a view and download indicator in a top bar on the page. Likely recycled daily? Also a notification/news button, which adds more interactionality.

Query: Will new downloads or rating notifications be made to the user?
edit: Just saw in the script graph, along with views, downloads are now charted. Fantastic.

Last edited by lordmanji : 06-25-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Closed Thread