Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
markerstone
Regular

Default Supervising Producer?

What exactly do they do? Make sure the producers don't screw up?

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Supervising Producer?

This is really a title that falls into the TV world. The EP or EPs are the top level producers on a series -- in particular the showrunner is. From there it generally goes co-EP, supervising producer, producer, co-producer, consulting producer, associate producer, etc. Though I'm not as familiar with TV as I am film, usually the supervisor is overseeing say the writing and writing staff to one degree or the other. And in many cases can help with guiding any new/young writers on the series staff in a more mentor like fashion. (There are a few folks on here who work in TV that can probably chime in to better clarify or correct.)

And for whatever it's worth, on a feature it's more Producer, then EP, co-EP, co-producer, associate producer, etc. Who truly wields the most power can vary depending on their track record, but generally it's the producer who is top dog.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
zhyatt
New User

While I am sure many Supervising Producers do actually supervise the writing staffs, it's basically just a Rank. For example, on the first pilot I sold, because it was network and I had no prior experience, I was not going to get an EP credit. Co-EP was possible, I guess, but for whatever reason, I was starting off at Supervising Producer.

I was 25 and had not produced a single episode of TV. The title had little to do with being in a position to supervise, but more like I was the inexperienced creator and the deal went for 3 years, so in Year 1, I'd be super, Year 2, co-EP, and then by Year 3, EP.

Maybe on up-and-running shows, that position lives up to its name, but I am sure there are plenty of co-EPs and EP's who run the room while the showrunner is on set.
zhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
markerstone
Regular

Thanks - that clears things up a bit.

M