Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
CColoredClown

Default Sausage Party

Anyone else see it? I thought it was a funny R-rated comedy.
CColoredClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
jboffer

Default Re: Sausage Party

No spoilers.

I had one of those awkward theater experiences where nobody was laughing. Silence from a decent crowd, with the occasional half chuckle.

I wasn't laughing either. Would I have if other people were? Possible, but doubt it. Word on the street was the movie was INSANE, but I found it rather tame, expected and repetitive. The funniest part was a running food pun gag that would have belonged in the PG-rated version of the movie.

It was also hard to care about the plot since we are aware of reality before the movie even started. It's a lot of time waiting on the character to catch up to where we are. And then they all react exactly as you'd expect them to anyway.

Not for me I guess.

Last edited by jboffer : 08-26-2016 at 10:40 AM.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
catcon

Well, I haven't seen the movie, but have experienced the trailer. (Last weekend it was between this and Pete's Dragon, and I chose the latter.)

But what I want to talk about here is how this feature-length animated film supposedly had a budget of "only" $19M. There's some rumblings of non-paid OT for the animators, etc. But still.

And it's not that this animation looks otherworldly, but it looks "good enough".

I've written a couple of animated stories but hold back on pitching them to lots of companies that might enjoy the subject matter, simply because I assume these things are at least $60M-$100M to produce. (Pete's Dragon live-action/animation mix was $65M)

What gives? Is animation getting that cheap?
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
jboffer

I don't think this level of animation would ever make it in a kids' film that's meant to dazzle. It was as basic as it gets, with like no textures or big SFX, along with extremely limited locations. Almost the entire movie was inside the grocery store.

Which is OK, but the movie being animated is part of the joke in this case. It could have been worse, and nobody would have cared.

And, like you mentioned, sounds like they really pushed beyond what the budget should have bought them.