Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #41
Jake Schuster

Default Re: Meeting tips

I do both: exchange cards and send a follow-up thank-you email. They usually get right back to me and leave the door open for further business.
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #42
kidcharlemagne

Re. networking

Pooks made some good points - I also 'network' myself and I email and have met other DD'ers and we've exchanged contacts and recommended each other to a few people etc. which is great but as Pooks said it is not the main reason to meet either face-face or via email. I think the main reason is to swop experiences, give encouragement, read each other's work, give feedback, moan and groan, make friends etc. I would hate to rely on the networking to jump start my career although it could happen. Someone, one day, could throw me that one lead that could be 'the one', but, in reality if I look at the projects that I have that are making progress they were all initiated via cold calls. Of course, on the back of those cold calls I've met people who have then brought their warm contacts into the mix. I think the thing with cold call or query or whatever you do to get your script out there you can, despite the obstacles, be as agressive as you like in beating down doors whereas the network is more of an organic thing that you can't push too hard.
kidcharlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #43
filmcarver
User

Thread is a little off base from the start, but my suggestion for meetings that come from recommendations is to have an agenda to do business. I don't mean a cold fish, but a friendly professional.

If you are going to give a card without being asked, then give it to them just after you meet. If they want to stay in touch, they will return in kind. When you're done, you won't have to feel awkward giving them one if the meeting goes so-so.

Be specific as to your goal, ask for a work opportunity, set another meeting. Ask them what they liked about your work, and why they think it may apply to one of their projects.

If possible, if there is nothing left to accomplish, leave before they make a signal the meeting is over. If you leave without a game plan or another meeting, then find another meeting elsewhere, because this one led nowhere.

And for pete's sake, just put your vital info on the card without a title. If you have a simple cool logo, that always is a good conversation piece to get started with.
filmcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:13 PM   #44
GreatOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmcarver
If you are going to give a card without being asked, then give it to them just after you meet. If they want to stay in touch, they will return in kind. When you're done, you won't have to feel awkward giving them one if the meeting goes so-so.
I've found it better to give a card after the meeting is over. They don't know you in the beginning and may be reluctant to trade cards until they do, and it's good reminder to them before you head out the door. And even if the meeting goes so-so, there's nothing awkward about giving a business card, it's a standard business practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmcarver
And for pete's sake, just put your vital info on the card without a title. If you have a simple cool logo, that always is a good conversation piece to get started with.
I never let pete make my business decisions. He's a strange guy who doesn't even capitalize his name. And I HAVE been complimented on my card -- even with my title.
GreatOz is offline   Reply With Quote