Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
caliwriter

Default My 2 cents on the DRESS CODE topic.

It is the general ideal that working writers in the business wear jeans and flannel shirts , messy hair and stuff like that.

Well yeah i guess if you are an established writer making the big bucks then you can dress however you want.

BUT dude,If you're pitch to the BIG WIGS at the studios you better not walk in there looking like a bum!

Personally i think a nice suit well dry cleaned is appropriate
not jeans not flannel and not a baseball cap.

If i were an Exec and some guy walked in looking like Forest Gump i would not take him serious and i would probably laugh.
this is a business and you have to treat it as such!
you are what you wear.
====================================

And for the LADIES:
You guys should dress sexy as you can, it doesn't matter if its a dress ,skirt or pants.
jeans are ok as long as their nice and clean.
stay away from silly designs.
wear jewelry and make up.
Laugh at all their jokes even if its not funny and lie about your age! I'm just being honest
It would help too if you could write a great script.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
googoo

"You better not go in there looking like a bum."

- Why not? It's one of the few perks of being a writer, don't take that away from us.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:02 PM   #3
Mompboken

I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen in a suit on a studio lot.

Example---watch The Matrix Revisited. There are interviews with Lorenzo DiBonaventura, who is the head of Warner Brothers Studio. He's the big cheese. What is he wearing in his office in the interview? Jeans and a shirt and a tie.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:10 PM   #4
StoryTeller79

Yes, but cut back to when he just started out and wasn't in that lush office...do you think he was as casual as he is now? Fact of the matter is simple:We all have our styles. I personally follow Coppola and Hitchcock and will (as a Director) wear a suit or at least along those lines. Look, we know not to over dress when first starting out, but as many said, once your in, your in. I met A.C. Lyles a few times, and he mentioned trends in the business. Said that the old days of Hollywood are gone, but not for good. He said, he personally likes it when "young men" wear suits, etc. So wear what you want, but as it has been stated, don't over do it. Come on, your meaning to tell me that if you walked into Brian Grazers office, with the next Academy Award winning script, but had a suit on, he'd 86 ya? No way!
Old 04-13-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Megamoze

There's nothing to do but let them learn the hard way.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:36 PM   #6
sidneyfalco

...watch what happens when they walk onto the lot. other writers will think they're agents and will be pitching them projects.
Old 04-13-2002, 05:46 PM   #7
CRASH

These people who have never been into a pitch meeting, never been on a studio lot, are trying to tell others how to dress? Please.

2 cents, indeed.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #8
Mompboken

Look, as a writer, you can wear whatever you decide. But if you walk into a pitch meeting wearing a suit and tie, and the execs there are wearing jeans or shorts or are barefoot, they are going to be focused FIRST on how out of place you look. When you are Coppola, or Hitchcock, or Sonnenfeld, then they won't care. Until then, why stand out in an obvious and odd way?
Old 04-13-2002, 06:36 PM   #9
dclary

Is this the kind of thing you could ask your agent?

"Yo, dclary, some guyz down at the WB wants to look at yer script"

(I don't know, my fictional agent's a chicago gangster?)

"OK, Guido. What should I wear?"

"I think a polo and some dockerz'll do ya good, kid. Don' wanna scarez 'em wit da zoot suit, yaknowaddamean??"

"Um, yeah, Guido. Thanks."

Seeing as my personal hygiene idol is Peter Jackson, I'll probably have to dress up (from my normal writing attire) anyway!
Old 04-13-2002, 06:42 PM   #10
warmgoodness

SCREENWRITERS DO NOT WEAR SUITS TO MEETINGS EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!! ( Unless they want to look like pretentious a**holes and have studio execs laugh at them after they leave). What do I wear to meetings? Whatever the hell I happened to put on when I got up in the morning: Jeans, a shirt of some kind and clogs or sneakers.