Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule of Minimums

Does anyone understand this topic, and could lay it out for me? I am not sure what it all means still. As far as the compensation, etc. Feel free to post here, or email me.

Thanks,
    Nick

[email protected]

www.wga.org/minimums2001/index.html

You can also call the Dept. of Contracts at the WGA if you have any questions about the Agreement. (323) 782-4501

Comment

I have read that...thats what I am confused about. I do not understand the different pay scales. High of $90,000...don't screenplays sell for more? Silly, yes...but I am not sure what it all means. And they wont answer a question of mine, because I am not in an agreement yet.

Comment

That's strange that they wouldn't help you understand the contract.

Minimums are just that: minimums. As a WGA member, a WGA signatory must pay you at least the amounts listed for the work described in the schedule. Producers or studios can pay you as much over that as they want, but that usually depends on your current quote, and what your agent is able to negotiate.

Comment

Yes, screenplays can sell for more, but you would be amazed at how many sell for minimum. Often, when these sales make the trades, the article says something like "Blah blah was sold for an undisclosed amount...". But as stated above, these numbers are just minimums. The Low vs High figure denotes the price paid depending on the budget of the film. I believe the cut-off is now $2.5 million -- anything over this amount is considered High Budget and warrants the "High" minimum.

Comment

Okay, I will have to call them back, and explain that I am new to this, because it really (and I'm sure its easy as pie) does not make much sense to me. If they pay the high, you walk away with $54,842 for the delivery of an original screenplay? That sure is a lot less then I ever imagined. If someone has the patience to further explain, I will send you a fruit basket when it sells!

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

A minimum is literally that -- the bare-bones figure that a signatory company cannot pay less than to a Guild member for writing services. Few writers actually end up working (on assignment) for Guild Minimum. You may start out at this price, but as you do more assignment work, get movies made, etc. your "quote" will go up.

Guild Minimum and the selling price of a spec have no real relation other than that the sale price (for a signatory company) cannot be lower than the Minimum. Generally, a spec will sell for what the market will bear. Sometimes this IS the minimum and sometimes this is millions of dollars.

Yes, there are plenty of screenwriters who make millions of dollars a year -- they are still the exception and not the rule. I believe the actual median income for a WGA member is something like $80,000 a year.

Comment

Oy! The harsh reality of the writer's life hits home for another newbie.

Comment

Guess so.

Comment

Working...
                  X