Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
mtoomey

Default What's the general opinion of producers looking for scripts on craigslist?

I check CL occasionally and there are often posts from independent producers looking for scripts to option. for example, this one from yesterday:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/wrg/446636208.html

what's the general consensus on these types of posts and producers? Is it worth following up with these guys for new writers?

thanks
m.toomey
mtoomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
RGF

Location: Kicking around on a piece of ground in my home town.
Default Re: What's the general opinion of producers looking for scripts on craigslist?

99% of them are worthless. Producers who advertise on Craigslist have no money, no connections, and no track record to speak of. I'm sure many of them mean well, and really believe in themselves...but there are a lot of producer-hacks out there too. First thing I do is check the spelling and grammar in their posts. Not that I'm 100% perfect, but it says to me that if you don't care about soliciting my script in a professional manner, how are you going to solicit millions of dollars in funding for a movie?

But, I have seen the odd (and I mean very odd) ad that looks promising. All in all...not worth your time.
RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
CutteRug
Regular

Default Re: What's the general opinion of producers looking for scripts on craigslist?

I can't help it. If they're barely literate (like the example you gave), then I tend to judge them harshly. I'm sure a guy could be a pretty good producer and have plenty of connections, but if he can't string together a dozen sentences without a dozen screw-ups, then it doesn't give me great faith in his eye for detail.

Both the producer and the line producer on my first project were HOUNDS for detail. It's part of what made them good at their jobs. Of course some producers are just 'people-people', and that's fine.

Long story short, I've submitted samples to some of the Craigslist queries that were well-crafted, but most are just good for a laugh (and a momentary reinforcement of my illusions of superiority).

Give it a go though. A submission never hurts. If you talk to the guy on the phone and get a bad hit, then say, "thanks, but no thanks".

Cheers,

Adam
Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Moviequill

some of them are just Spammers harvesting your e-mail address, hence a lot of them are "removed" fast... I once answered one promising offer using a disposable e-mail address and soon after I got loaded up with all the usual crap...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Bense18
User

Ive found three producers through craigslist.

Types of jobs I've gained :
Editing.
Formatting.
Writing.

Also, through those 'clients', I've networked pretty well with some industry contacts.
Bense18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
Floresco
User

I'm not too optimistic about craigslist. For all I know, there are struggling writers out there fishing for ideas, hoping to get hundreds of saps to e-mail them loglines so they can take an idea and run with it. That's not being paranoid, that's just being logical.

Also, if some guy has access to millions of dollars to fund a movie, would he post an ad on a free site? I'm sure if he has the money and wants to make a movie, he has industry connections and he knows where the good scripts are.

I got a few gigs years ago to write some treatments for guys who didn't know how to write their own. A couple hundred bucks. At least it was something. But that was years ago. To be honest, I don't really trust it.

Every person I know who has had a movie made did so through connections. They gave their scripts to people who could make it and those people don't advertise. People seek them out.
Floresco is offline   Reply With Quote