Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #31
Archive

Default Re: Giving up hope? No Unsolicted materials...

Likewise! Let's hope this sheds some light for thems that needs knowin'!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #32
GoldStarWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot17 View Post
This is correct.

Goldstar, your logline sucks. It's not okay, it sucks.

Please re-read my post at Wordplay and my previous post here. I haven't checked to see if you've posted your logline anywhere else.

Don't bother with querying Miramax or New Line - they want a producer already on board usually. They are studio types that are most likely going to want a producer to schlepp it in to them or will only take subs from agents.

Query producers with a battle tested, bullet proof query letter after it has been thoroughly trashed by people who have done it before. Learn to pitch the query on the phone.

Bot
Actually that isn't the logline for the movie I've been writing. I think it was meant to be a joke - a cloned human pig? No. I would never post my REAL logline on this board or any other if you know what I mean... But my REAL logline is genius!
GoldStarWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #33
Robot17

Great.Then you'll get reads. March on.

Bot
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #34
mtoomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldStarWriter View Post
Actually that isn't the logline for the movie I've been writing. I think it was meant to be a joke - a cloned human pig? No. I would never post my REAL logline on this board or any other if you know what I mean... But my REAL logline is genius!
Why wouldn't you post your real logline?
mtoomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #35
GoldStarWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoomey View Post
Why wouldn't you post your real logline?
Obviously you should know about people who would purposly do anything to make a personal gain 4 themselves - steal a person's work/ idea. Sorry but I worked 4+ years writing my screenplay, 7+ years on the story concept so there's no way I'd share it on a public forum.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #36
Robot17

Nuff said, Toomey.

Geez.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #37
NYNEX

Quote:
Obviously you should know about people who would purposly do anything to make a personal gain 4 themselves - steal a person's work/ idea. Sorry but I worked 4+ years writing my screenplay, 7+ years on the story concept so there's no way I'd share it on a public forum.

No one is going to steal your concept. This kind of paranoia is a sign of amateurism.

The fact that you had to make the original posts suggest you have a long way to go.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #38
GoldStarWriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boski View Post
Not when it comes to posting loglines on a public forum. That's not paranois it's simple prudence.

I wouldn't post my best loglines on a public forum like this.

I'll gladly show them to industry pros via mail/email etc where I can maintain at least some semblance of a paper trail, but just tossing them out to a forum of wannabe screenwriters isn't the best idea IMO.

On the other hand, if I had a logline that's as genius as Gold's "real" logline, I probably wouldn't be having the problem that generated this thread.
I agree, but remember this is my first time quering a script - which I've never done before so I just needed Help and advice from others because I thought it would be easy. Remember I am a newbie trying to market my FIRST screenplay. That's all!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:37 PM   #39
mtoomey

Quote:
I agree, but remember this is my first time quering a script - which I've never done before so I just needed Help and advice from others because I thought it would be easy. Remember I am a newbie trying to market my FIRST screenplay. That's all!
My question for you, since this is the first script your querying, is how do you know you have a killer logline?

Posting loglines here has been very helpful for me because even when I think I have a good logline, other folks (much more experienced in the game than myself) shoot holes in it and give me great advice.

I've let complete strangers on this board read my scripts. And I've read scripts from these same strangers. For each draft that other people read, I register it with the WGA for $20.

just my 2 cents.

mtoomey
mtoomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM   #40
Robot17

Quote:
Goldstar

I pick posts to respond to when I believe I may be able to help somebody. I, and others on this board, donate our time (a diminishing asset) to help each other make progress in our endeavors.

Sometimes we are able to help and sometimes the help isn't that great, but always (unless we're clowning around) it's sincere. Many of us are professionals in the film, literary and television business and our experience is fairly valuable.

When you post a logline, and I go through it as a courtesy thinking of YOU and YOUR NEEDS, you should at least APPRECIATE the effort even if you disregard the input. When the logline is BOGUS, and I waste time that I could have used elsewhere (like on the book I'm being paid to write during the strike) it pis%es me off no end.

The topper of course is the implication that everyone's going to "steal your idea because it's so brilliant". That attitude is going to really kill your chances because EVERYBODY HATES paranoid writers. They won't take submissions from paranoid writers!

Lighten up. Don't post it, fine, but tell people that and be honest in your requests for help.

How you can throw eggs on the faces of people who are trying to help you is beyond me.

Bot

Last edited by Robot17 : 01-31-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Don't want Boski busting me again :-)
Robot17 is offline   Reply With Quote