Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
michaelb

Default Re: Beware of Development Interns stealing your ideas

Only Dr. Evil's interns do this.....
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
tony6pack
User

I wouldn't worry about it, Broseph.

If something were to go down, then it might be time to pull a NYNEX and roll some heads.

Wait a minute...

*Waiting for someone to recommend an entertainment attorney*
tony6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
Beware of bullsht bullsht slung by bullshtters.

Hahahaha!

Listen, I learned the hard way. My first week in LA I submitted something to one of my fave tv series, the script was based on a 'gimick' that two months later, while watching the show, I see before my eyes. I didn't get diddly squat. Not even a thanks, champ. LoL The gimick was there, they just rewrote the script around my idea. I'm sure some snooty greenie saw an opportunity and took it. Personally, if someone has to steal, I say let them. If you have to sink that low, you won't stay afloat too long
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
Mac H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
Hahahaha!

Listen, I learned the hard way. My first week in LA I submitted something to one of my fave tv series, the script was based on a 'gimick' that two months later, while watching the show, I see before my eyes. I didn't get diddly squat.

...I'm sure some snooty greenie saw an opportunity and took it.
Umm ... if it was only two months then surely that is proof that they didn't take your version?

After all - it does generally take longer than that to go from 'coming up with a concept' to showing on TV.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Hahahaha!

Listen, I learned the hard way. My first week in LA I submitted something to one of my fave tv series, the script was based on a 'gimick' that two months later, while watching the show, I see before my eyes. I didn't get diddly squat. Not even a thanks, champ. LoL The gimick was there, they just rewrote the script around my idea. I'm sure some snooty greenie saw an opportunity and took it. Personally, if someone has to steal, I say let them. If you have to sink that low, you won't stay afloat too long
I wonder if Jeff will speak on the time cycle for tv development. They are usually breaking stories many many many months before they shoot an episode. Add that to how soon the epp came out after you submitted your idea...

And even if it's possible they didn't do it.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
Joe Unidos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
And even if it's possible they didn't do it.

^^^^^^
THIS

(As much as I hate to be a "this" guy...)
Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Hey guys,

it could have been three months, but let's just say there are no coinkidinks. I believe that in life too, everything happens for a reason and maybe even this - because now I never talk about anything nor do I send anything w/ out WGA reg. w/out a copyright and w/out giving it to my agent. Not worth the months you put into your work.
I basically wrote a script where the TV shows’s main characters [have to] do what appears inside a book. Sort of a magic book, if you will... My story didn't make it, I never heard back, but the book sure was in the show and yes, the characters had to do as the book said, as the words appeared. At first it pissed me off, then like I said, I said to myself, if someone has to steal, they need to, let them. I wouldn't want to ever sink that low in my career. All my scripts are original. I was one of the best in my class and till two weeks ago I was a very close friend of my college professor. I take what I do seriously and I put a lot into everything I write. Lately, I use a lot of RL in my scripts, this way I have proof my ideas are really my ideas. Also, true stories are interesting, if you can find one that is worth telling and worth becoming a good film.

Movies that inspire me are films like Cinema Paradiso ... no one can steal that kind of stuff. You can read Shakespeare or Hemingway all day long; it doesn't mean you're going to write like them. Be original. Like Bruce Lee says: "be like water, my friend."

Last edited by Filmfelinemeowmeow : 09-26-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
odocoileus

Nobody on a network TV show ever reads any script sent to them at random through the mail. Your script got as far as the production office, and one of the office PA's threw it out with the trash.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #19
JeffLowell

I've worked on a staff or two, and heard a lot of pitches from outsiders. Almost without fail, everything we're pitched we've already discussed some version of. TV shows have a set group of characters and a tone and a world... It's not surprising that different people come up with similar ideas independently. It would be surprising if they didn't.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Dr. Gonzo
User

Quote:
I basically wrote a script where the TV shows’s main characters [have to] do what appears inside a book. Sort of a magic book, if you will...
...like The Never Ending Story
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote