Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
Chakala

Default Re: What a rollercoaster...

Sux. You're still in shock. You need to purge these bad vibes (welcome to L.A.) and get revenge in the best way possible: by being a success.

Trite? Maybe, but sometimes revenge is better than coffee to get the juices flowing.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
YakMan
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShirts View Post
Including the fact that her boyfriend is a bipolar, abusive misanthrope. My beautiful, vivacious wife...The love of my life...And he hits her. I don't have the words.
Oh, KEE-Rist!!! You have a "Fixer." I.E., someone who doesn't feel validated unless they've got someone totally f'ed up that they can prove THEIR own worth by fixing THEM!!! Anyway...a nice insight for future pathological character development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Save your words henceforth for your career.

"There are many fish in the sea." -- A wise man

The waters of the Great Lakes are cold, and so are the fish. The waters of Southern California are warm, and so are the fish, and owing to the warmth, there are fish aplenty.
Yeah, long as you can "hook" her by inviting her to sail on your (at least somewhat substantial) yacht which you (secretly) have a 1/10th time share on for just such occasions. Yup, been dere been dun like dat too!!!
YakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
UglyShirts
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMan View Post
Oh, KEE-Rist!!! You have a "Fixer." I.E., someone who doesn't feel validated unless they've got someone totally f'ed up that they can prove THEIR own worth by fixing THEM!!! Anyway...a nice insight for future pathological character development.
Yeah. She refused to go to couples therapy with me...but the day she got off the plane in Minneapolis, she took MY insurance card (which she is still covered on as a dependent), and started seeing a therapist more or less immediately. A therapist who diagnosed her with codependency within a single session. Hell, *I* could've told you that. So could any marriage counselor. But you didn't stick around long enough.

ANYway...I'm trying to get on with the rest of my life. And, at least TODAY, "the rest of my life" included sending two specs in response to a read request from a cat I've looked up to since I was a kid, in advance of a general in exactly a week.

So, it's been a real pants-filling sort of month, good and bad alike.

I'll be sure to report back after we head in there, and completely humiliate our greenhorn selves. In the meantime, thanks for all the encouragement and support.
UglyShirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
emily blake

Don't plan on humiliating yourself. Don't talk about your wife. You are good at this, you have lots of good ideas, and you can't wait to get your hands on the next project. You're going to rock that meeting.

Have some ideas you've been working on ready to throw out there in case they ask. If they pitch you something, don't be afraid to run with it a little in the room. And don't be afraid to ask them questions about what they're working on. Tell a cool story if it comes up. Have fun.

This is like a first date. Be yourself, but be your best self. And do not go on about your wife. It will make everyone in the room uncomfortable. If they ask, be brief. But they probably won't ask. They want to know about you and your writing.

And when you get that first sale, you can call this chick up and tell her to suck it. Do not let her bring you down anymore by taking her into that meeting.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShirts View Post
Yeah. She refused to go to couples therapy with me...but the day she got off the plane in Minneapolis, she took MY insurance card (which she is still covered on as a dependent), and started seeing a therapist more or less immediately. A therapist who diagnosed her with codependency within a single session. Hell, *I* could've told you that. So could any marriage counselor. But you didn't stick around long enough.

Sounds distressingly familiar.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
MJ Scribe

Yep, debbie downer will only distract you during that meeting...

think you'll fare well. good luck!!
MJ Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily blake View Post
Don't plan on humiliating yourself. Don't talk about your wife. You are good at this, you have lots of good ideas, and you can't wait to get your hands on the next project. You're going to rock that meeting.

Have some ideas you've been working on ready to throw out there in case they ask. If they pitch you something, don't be afraid to run with it a little in the room. And don't be afraid to ask them questions about what they're working on. Tell a cool story if it comes up. Have fun.

This is like a first date. Be yourself, but be your best self. And do not go on about your wife. It will make everyone in the room uncomfortable. If they ask, be brief. But they probably won't ask. They want to know about you and your writing.

And when you get that first sale, you can call this chick up and tell her to suck it. Do not let her bring you down anymore by taking her into that meeting.
Concur.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
UglyShirts
User

Yup. Definitely not bringing any of that up. Refuse to give her that much power over me, my well-being, and my career prospects. This is a comedy setting. He's a comedy producer, we're comedy writers. There's no place for any such sturm und drang in that environment. That's what therapists are for.

Speaking of which, I think I should probably talk to one. Never thought I'd have to say that, but I should. Not that I look down on people who get counseling, or have any struggles with behavioral health care...I was just always so secure, confident, happy and well-adjusted before.

Meh. If this general goes well, and I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure it does...I imagine I'll be able to find PLENTY of bloody reasons to smile.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to start drinking.
UglyShirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
cshel

Post Re: What a rollercoaster...

Get a quickie divorce. The last thing that you want to have happen is that you sell a screenplay and she gets half the money.

Best of luck at your meeting.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
MJ Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshel View Post
Get a quickie divorce. The last thing that you want to have happen is that you sell a screenplay and she gets half the money.

Best of luck at your meeting.
yep, jettison that bad wood. and, fast.
MJ Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote