Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #31
odocoileus

Default Re: What a rollercoaster...

She's what, in her forties? Who's hitting that?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
UglyShirts
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshel View Post
Get a quickie divorce. The last thing that you want to have happen is that you sell a screenplay and she gets half the money.
Right? Especially since I'm only getting half myself...Since the one partner I have who I can still count on is my writing partner. So, let's see...That's 25%, minus possible agent/management fees...And a probable legal retainer...

Yeah, screw this. I'm just gonna go man the grill at the Burger King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odocoileus
She's what, in her forties? Who's hitting that?
36, actually. We've been together since she was 19, and I was 21.

But she's a very well-preserved 36. She's always been a very attractive, vivacious, head-turning sort of gal. Also funny, smart, dorky, and into all of the same crap I am. I really did think we were perfect together, and so did all of the people in our lives...Most of whom are circling the wagons around me, and vilifying her.

I mean, sure...There are two sides to every story, but the facts really don't change. And the fact is that she never told me anything was wrong for 17 years. Then she looked me in the eye, told me she loved me just like every day, and then got on a plane to abandon me for an abusive, depressed recluse. And that's all true no matter which side of the ledger you're looking at.

Even so...I still love her desperately, and if she came crying back to me tomorrow, all sins would be forgiven. Because I'm a sucker. When I told her I'd love her forever, *I* meant it. Can't really turn that off, sadly.

Que sera, sera.
UglyShirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #33
odocoileus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShirts http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...s/viewpost.gif
Even so...I still love her desperately, and if she came crying back to me tomorrow, all sins would be forgiven. Because I'm a sucker. When I told her I'd love her forever, *I* meant it. Can't really turn that off, sadly.
Even if she only came back for a piece of your new found success?
Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #34
UglyShirts
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by odocoileus View Post
Even if she only came back for a piece of your new found success?
I guess I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

I keep telling myself that she loved me for a long time when I was dirt-broke, and in the midwest. So, who the hell knows what could happen?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
UglyShirts
User

UPDATE:

Had our sit-down yesterday. Long story short...It went well. We seemed to really hit it off. Good rapport. He said he liked the stuff we sent him. Said it was a little outside the realm of what he usually does, but he said that we could clearly write, and were funny. So, as writing samples, our specs served us well.

Also, and this is the BIG news...we were given a spec project to work on. He told us there's a specific type of script he's looking for. So if we can cook him up something good that fits that, and could be done within a specific budget, he might be willing to work with us on it.

So, yeah. That is a HUGE honkin' deal. This is the kind of opportunity people can work for YEARS to even get a SHOT at. So, that feels good, and there's no way we're gonna look this nag in the mouth.

Remains to be seen whether we can pull it out, but you DAMN well better believe we're going to do everything we can not to disappoint.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #36
ClintW3
Regular

Bravo.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #37
JeffLowell

Break a leg.

Last edited by JeffLowell : 07-04-2013 at 10:57 AM.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #38
ATB

Congrats, man. Glad it went well for you.

ATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #39
scripto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShirts View Post
It's been a very tumultuous couple of months since I made the move from Minneapolis to Los Angeles. Honestly, I'm fairly certain that this is the first time I'm posting here since getting into town. But, a lot has been going on.

I landed a day job, and showed up here in February. I then welcomed my beautiful wife of 17 years, whom I love beyond all reason, in late March. We stayed with friends for a few months, but eventually signed a lease on a little rental house a few weeks ago. Move-in date: July 1st. Things seemed to be going really well. Starting to work on living the dream.

Then, two weeks ago, I left for work. She was cold. I tucked her in with my blanket, kissed her good-bye, and said I'd see her after work. She smiled, and told me she loved me right back. And then, she promptly got up, packed her bags, cleaned out the bank account and flew back to Minneapolis...only telling me once she'd landed that she'd decided to leave me for a secret boyfriend she'd had for years. And not just any boyfriend...An old roommate. A guy I'd suggested move in with us. A guy I had even gotten a job for at one point. Apparently, it had been going on under my nose the entire time, and I was none the wiser.

"Blindsided" is not the word. I am leveled. Devastated. Out of my mind. For 17 years, we had what I thought was the perfect relationship. We never went to bed angry. Held hands constantly. Complete strangers could see that we had something special, and would ask us our secret in public. She is still the love of my life, but it's like she's been brainwashed. Joined a cult. Even her own family is writing me e-mails, saying that she is not the same person, that she is "toxic," and "poison." And now I'm chewing on the fact that even though the last time I saw her, she looked me dead in the face with her beautiful ice-blue eyes and told me she loved me...The next time I see her, it will be over a mediator's table in a divorce courtroom.

But, all that's just context. There's actually a reason I put this in the "Producers/ProdCos" forum.

Since I'm living just for me now, I am trying to bury myself in the reason I came to Los Angeles to begin with: Screenwriting. And so in the midst of my complete and utter devastation, I reached out someone in my contacts, a good friend in my support network. Told 'em about what happened. Asked if they knew of any doors they could help me get a foot into; any rooms that I could get a hand landing in...Because I really have a burn like nothing else to not just both be successful for myself, but to show her what she walked away from.

And my goodness, did my reinforcements ever respond with flying colors. I was gone to bat for in such a huge way that it could mean actually having a career.

Thanks to my friend...As we speak, my writing partner and I are currently in the process of scheduling a meeting with one of the most prominent, accomplished, and culturally-significant producers in our genre...Which is unbelievable to even contemplate. This ain't a silver lining...It's potentially a gold mine. If we play our cards right, we may be in a VERY good position to be on-screen faster than we ever could have imagined otherwise.

Needless to say, we want to play our cards right.

And because we do, I'm once again reaching out for support.

So. Imagine you had a meeting with a household-name filmmaker. Someone you've admired for years. Hey, some of you don't even have to imagine, so you can draw from experience. How does one prepare? What would you bring, wear, say? Dos, don'ts?

No detail too big, no detail too small. We may only get one shot at this, so we want to make absolutely sure we don't eff it up. Not to mention that it is incumbent upon us to honor the person who vouched for us when I really needed the help.

Fire away. And, though it goes without saying, Thanks in advance.
Sorry all that happened, but congrats on the positive upswing afterwards!

1. Don't let this skew your view of women in general, and especially don't let it reflect as such in your writing. She was just one witch that rhymes with "b". Don't let her impact how you respond to and represent women in the future.

2. Try to get the divorced finalized before you sign any deals or make a penny off screenwriting! Would hate to find our you had to share your big break writer's paycheck with some...witch that rhymes with "b".

scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
LIMAMA

Great news, knock them dead with the script.