A character falls asleep, then wakes up. FADE OUT?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A character falls asleep, then wakes up. FADE OUT?

I have a scene where a character is alone in a room. He falls asleep. Half an hour later or so he's awoken by a loud noise. There's no other scene in between. How is this best treated in a script? When I picture this play out on screen I imagine a fade to black as he falls asleep. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of a scene where this actually happens? Something I can watch and see how it's done.

Re: A character falls asleep, then wakes up. FADE OUT?

Originally posted by Spoiled View Post
    I have a scene where a character is alone in a room. He falls asleep. Half an hour later or so he's awoken by a loud noise. There's no other scene in between. How is this best treated in a script? When I picture this play out on screen I imagine a fade to black as he falls asleep. Thoughts?

Also, does anyone know of a scene where this actually happens? Something I can watch and see how it's done.
    There are (and have been) any number of ways to show a lapse of time in scenes like these. One of the common ways that it used to be done was to have someone fall asleep in front of a TV and then cut to the TV with the Star Spangle Banner playing and then the TV going to static and then you show the guy asleep -- obviously indicating that a lot of time has passed.

You could do something similar since a lot of TVs, if enough time has passed will power down and there'll be some notice or something on it saying "press any button to power up" or something like that -- but it amounts to the same thing.

There are lots of things you can do to indicate a passage of time other than a fade out, which feels a bit forced. He's reading a book, he nods off. Later, the book's lying on the floor, he's asleep.

Or anything at all like that. I'd stay away from something obvious like a clock, but lots of things can indicate a passage of time that you can cue off of when you go from the first scene to the second.

NMS

Comment

Working...
    X