X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LA Managers: Monster List of Lit.

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT
    Jim, is it too much to ask that you actually see my post for the trees and explain why it is not a "practical reality" for a manager who *never* produce to become licensed talent agents?
    Clearly I can't. I apologize for my shortcomings and wish you well in all your endeavors.

Comment

jim,

We both agreed a week or two ago (I wasted time popping onto this board to discuss) that few if any successful managers entered the profession to work exclusively for 10%, despite what clients may think they know about their manager's wider business plans and dealings with other writers... So, I'm uncertain what the source of this disagreement is (someone eles's PM outbox?).

Next time you decide--or are 'invited'--to aimlessly (tandem) troll a thread at least try and address the issues instead of grandstanding.

Is there any chance of a completely anonymous forum on DD that allows posting without any usernames so that tricky topics like this can actually be discussed in an adult manner without deference to egos or dick-measuring contests?
      The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Thanks, Broughcut. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Brough - I am confused by your last post on many counts, but since you have called me out I will respond.

I don't understand the reference to someone else's PM outbox, if you think Ham PM'd me to join this thread, he didn't.

I am not sure what in my post constitutes grandstanding. If my snarkiness offended you, I'm sorry.

I can't imagine that completely anonymous posting would lead to greater honesty and more mature conversation.

I don't get where ego and dick-measuring came into this equation. Most people on this forum know that I have worked in this business for a long time in various capacities and am a produced writer. If my tone in referencing my experience offended you, I think that's funny.

I will endeavor not to weigh in an any more threads where you have voiced an opinion because I have no desire to argue with you.

I disagree with the practical reality of your suggestion that hollywood managers in it solely for 10% get licensed as agents, this is based on my experince in the industry.

I think your points on the matter are well made, though perhaps where we disagree is in that I believe that there is room for managers who are solely in it for ten percent.
          Last edited by jimjimgrande; 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Silent R Management

I've reposted this to it's own posting
            Last edited by hdmdc; 09-09-2006, 05:45 AM.

Comment

I will endeavor not to weigh in an any more threads where you have voiced an opinion
              Oh, come on, Jim.

Besides, I stated a case, you voiced an opinion... if you'd weighed in with an argument things may have been more productive.

I have no desire to spar with you either, Jim. I was trying to engage in a discussion. I was not "offended", just a little frustrated that you repeatedly site "industry experience" in lieu of an explanation (you also completely misinterpreted my posts in 10:39). This thread isn't about writing. Industry experience as a writer doesn't mean you grasp the detail of the manager/agent debate.

"I disagree with the practical reality of your suggestion that hollywood managers in it solely for 10% get licensed as agents, this is based on my experince in the industry".

Why
              would it be impractical? That's all I've asked, and I've got **** for it. (I'm not even sure you know of any managers in it soley for 10%? This discussion is largely acedemic, I was originally just pointing out why it's back-to-front to automatically distrust managers who produce. In fact, my entire point in this thread is that 'producing' on paper--not all projects--is a "practical reality" of lit management, which not only keeps managers within their legal bounds, but earns them more money and saves their client commission, which is why your 10:39 post threw me.)

I can't imagine that completely anonymous posting would lead to greater honesty and more mature conversation
              because "you're wrong--I'm unable or unwilling to enunciate why, but this is based on my experience in the industry (as a writer)" wouldn't cut it and you would actually have to explain why it is in the writer's interest that non-producing managers are not required to become agents.

also, see my sig.

Comment

Mocean Management is no longer in the biz.

Anyone had dealings with Emission Control Management?
                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

You're kidding. That's really its name?

Comment

If I had my druthers, I'd remove Gallagher from the list.
                    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Should Management 101 (Frederick Levy) be on the list? Has anyone had any dealings with him?

Comment

should be.

Not been updated for awhile.

I'm away for a few weeks, if anyone's prepared to update this list (with access to an industry DB to get your own reasearch done) drop me a PM. (Only ppl I'm acquainted with from dd pls.)

Comment

I would like to add my company M Management to your list. I am relatively new, but very successful with many contacts. You can find my company info on the Hollywood Creative Directory.

Comment

I don't have HCD, and your company does not appear in StudioSystem. Why not just post your contact information?
                            ==========

Comment

M, you're not listed in the 57th HCD (the one before the newest printing, I think) and not in the Hollywood Representation Directory, either. Sage advice yet again from Hasil.

Comment

M Management is in the online version of HCD. Fancy address too.

Comment

Working...
                                X