Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Friday
User

Default Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
I have no clue how competitive it will be. I haven't seen it promoted like other contests so far.

This is their twitter for it: https://twitter.com/ImpactImagine
And even there, it doesn't look too busy.

I think I would concentrate more on if it's a viable project -- do you think your idea has the potential to sell; can you see it being a movie -- than whether or not it's ultra polished.

FWIW, I think the contest caught everyone off guard, so everyone is in the same boat. You'll do fine, Friday.

Nice words, Figment. Thanks for being helpful on this board. I read somewhere that they are hoping to do this several times a year, which would be awesome because if you're not ready, you can wait till a few months later. I am wondering if they are evaluating this on the idea or the writing sample. If the writing sample submitted can be different than the idea submitted.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
Friday
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobtubenewb View Post
It's a) open to international applicants, b) free to enter, c) there's $40k up for grabs, and d) you don't need a script, just an idea. It's been posted in every writing group/forum I'm on so it's definitely known.

That said, the application is pretty in-depth so it might scare some people off. As there is a drop-down option to put your reps in I could see them filtering for repped writers first, but who knows. Definitely worth entering in my opinion.

Good luck.

The only requirement that gives me pause is the video. I'd rather spend my time writing... it would seem time consuming to come up with something clever to say on camera. You think they are evaluating on the strength of the idea? I wasn't too clear on how developed the material should be since it asks how far along it is...but doesn't require that it be finished. I imagine it will still be highly competitive since almost everyone will have done very well in contests to dare enter this thing.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
Friday
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
I suggest not to think of this as a contest, but as an opportunity to pitch to a production company. It doesn't matter if you have an agent, manager, or had been option or sold in the past. They're very open to new writers, which is amazing. And by new, that doesn't necessarily mean the writer just started writing. It could also mean a writer who has been writing for 10 years, but just hasn't been discovered yet.

What matters is that you have a story idea that excites them and that you show you have the ability to execute that story idea into a polished script after working on it full time for a two month period.

Their application is detailed with questions about the major elements of your story that will demonstrate to them whether or not if your story is a particularly good fit for them, and that you know your story well enough to execute it.

You don't need a completed screenplay to pitch. Imagine Entertainment is hoping, though not required, that the 20 creators (writers) selected will have a polished script by the end of the two month period.

After the two month period, they'll be a two day pitch event where the creators will pitch their story to Imagine Entertainment and a few specially selected buyers where it would be decided on whether or not to buy, set up with another company, or pass.

I am not used to this. I am used to reworking and reworking a draft. Coming up with something great in two months sounds like a lot of pressure. How are they making the selection? They love an idea and select the person, even if they don't like the sample. Or they love the sample and then choose the people who have good samples with the best ideas?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Coming up with something great in two months sounds like a lot of pressure.
Sounds like you don't have full confidence in your ability as a screenwriter just yet. Yes, you can wait because supposedly this, pitch and development process, will be an ongoing endeavor, but what if this turns out to be too much of a headache, or failure for them. They may not continue with accepting pitches in the future.

If you're afraid of pressure, then I suggest that you give up on the idea of being a professional screenwriter and just write for personal satisfaction because this business is loaded with pressure such as, meetings, pitches, rejections, deadlines, implementing industry peoples' notes, etc.

I know the majority of writers would just like to be left alone in a room and write, but if a writer wants a career as a professional screenwriter, he must be able to perform on the business side of it as well.

Friday, I suggest that you take your best shot and pitch them a story idea that you feel will be a good fit for their production company. If you happen to be selected, don't fear, you'll have a top screenwriter working with you as a mentor to help guide you. The mentors will also help the selected writers with their pitch at the end of the two month process.

You may ask, what's a good fit? What are they looking for? I can only suggest to look at their past produced films. They've done comedies, bio pics, adventures, etc., and who knows, a writer may present a story idea that they haven't done before, but it excites them enough to see it through.

As for me, I'm gonna send them the High Concept, Adventure/Drama/Action story idea from the pages I posted in my "Voice (Descriptive Narrative)" thread. It's no where near completion, and I would love to have more than two months, but when opportunity knocks, you open that f#cking door -- naked if you have to.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #15
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I imagine it will still be highly competitive since almost everyone will have done very well in contests to dare enter this thing.
Quoting Ron Howard tweet:
"So exciting to see applications pouring in for @impactimagine! I encourage writers and creators of all experience levels to apply and have a chance to be a part of this innovative content creation program. https://www.imagine-impact.com/ "

https://twitter.com/ImpactImagine

So, to me, when the founder of the program says they want ALL experience levels to apply, it sounds as if they WANT a mix of more experienced people and less experienced people.

Having said this, I am struggling to come up with even an idea to send them at all -- Imagine has read four of my spec scripts over the last few years (by me cold querying them/I don't have reps). Including one earlier this year that I have yet to hear back on. I now have NO scripts to send them, because they've already rejected the ones I thought a good fit.

My writing notebooks look like a madman has entered my head and taken over, as I am frantically trying to find SOME DAMN IDEA that I can enter with before the deadline. You know, so that this time I can be PAID for them to reject me!

Regardless, they just seem like lovely people. And because they're providing mentors to help you sort things out, it seems as if it will be a nurturing, rather than stress-filled environment. If you've ever read articles about Howard, he appears to be an optimistic person that is forward-thinking. I'm sure that will trickle down into the program.

I think as writers, we're so used to rejection that we don't fear it anymore. It's when someone presents a pathway to succeed that we are suddenly seized by anxiety -- like, wait, what? You're going to pay me to write, and pitch you, and give me a mentor too? Ack!!
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #16
boobtubenewb
New User

Last edited by boobtubenewb : 10-08-2018 at 08:37 PM.
boobtubenewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
Friday
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobtubenewb View Post
Somewhat related: if you haven't taken Ron Howard's Directing Masterclass I've found it extremely interesting as a writer. The first six or so videos cover how and why he picks scripts, the development process, and collaborating with the writer and other creatives as they become involved.

Now I wouldn't say it will give you any sort edge for your application for this opp, but it's a good general overview of his thoughts on the subject, along with some great anecdotes about his past films. Masterclass.com offer a one week free trial for new customers.

It's worth checking out. Thanks. At this point, no one knows what's expected in the process other than those working inside his company. But, these guys are used to working with the A list of A list writers, so I imagine they still are used to see quality.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
Friday
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Quoting Ron Howard tweet:
"So exciting to see applications pouring in for @impactimagine! I encourage writers and creators of all experience levels to apply and have a chance to be a part of this innovative content creation program. https://www.imagine-impact.com/ "

https://twitter.com/ImpactImagine

So, to me, when the founder of the program says they want ALL experience levels to apply, it sounds as if they WANT a mix of more experienced people and less experienced people.

Having said this, I am struggling to come up with even an idea to send them at all -- Imagine has read four of my spec scripts over the last few years (by me cold querying them/I don't have reps). Including one earlier this year that I have yet to hear back on. I now have NO scripts to send them, because they've already rejected the ones I thought a good fit.

My writing notebooks look like a madman has entered my head and taken over, as I am frantically trying to find SOME DAMN IDEA that I can enter with before the deadline. You know, so that this time I can be PAID for them to reject me!

Regardless, they just seem like lovely people. And because they're providing mentors to help you sort things out, it seems as if it will be a nurturing, rather than stress-filled environment. If you've ever read articles about Howard, he appears to be an optimistic person that is forward-thinking. I'm sure that will trickle down into the program.

I think as writers, we're so used to rejection that we don't fear it anymore. It's when someone presents a pathway to succeed that we are suddenly seized by anxiety -- like, wait, what? You're going to pay me to write, and pitch you, and give me a mentor too? Ack!!

I hear ya. This one sounds like it's the best opportunity out of all of them out there...so the natural instinct is to want to be as prepared as possible. The dilemma is whether to submit one that's been previously vetted that has done really well in major contests or to submit the cooler sounding idea but you haven't tested it out yet. My guess is that a significant percentage submitting willl have done really well in the major contests and are just dusting off what they have already. I don't think writers lose the fear of rejection. I've sat in and listened to the top screenwriters detail the panic they feel to live up to their billing and the time pressure of the assignment like "Oh no...I was supposed to deliver this at an x amount of time and there's a only a few weeks left." I actually have felt increased pressure as to not have my followup project do as well as the past one. Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's team are used to seeing the very best so I am sure there's still that feeling that one doesn't want to embarrass themselves with showing them a draft that's rank amateur. You're right, though, Ron Howard sounds like a very cool and optimistic person to work for. He has a sterling reputation. I guess that's part of the thrill of it all--to come up with something before the deadline, which is only days away. If you're at least getting read off queries from them, then maybe it at least signals you're on the right track in terms of what would interest them. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:53 AM   #19
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Did no one notice the onerous clause in the terms if you are accepted into the program?

If you make it in and Imagine passes on your project at the end of the two month program, Imagine retains 15% passive participation forever. That is almost certainly more participation than on a project they are actually producing, so the net effect of this clause is that even if they pass on a project, they aren't really passing. They can just sit back and collect a hefty share of the profit if it ever sells to anyone else. With that sort of passive element attached, safe to say the chances of your project finding a home elsewhere are slim to none.

Maybe I read the terms wrong, but I know others who came to the same conclusion, and for this reason passed on applying.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #20
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Imagine retains 15% passive participation forever.
Where did you read this 15% forever term? Is there a side agreement that they haven't mentioned on their web site that has this term?

I’ve read their submission release agreement and it’s not in any one of its 10 paragraphs. I’ve read their FAQ and what they’ve said about ownership is the following:

“If I get accepted into the program, who owns my project?

At the end of Impact, Imagine Entertainment will be attached to your project for 6-months, during which time Imagine will have the option to acquire your project at a fair-market rate, set-up your project with a buyer, or part-ways. Should Imagine choose not to move further with the project, the Creator retains all rights to the project.”

“attached for 6 months” doesn’t sound like forever to me. If they set-up the project with another company, there may be a producer’s fee for Imagine Entertainment, but that would come out of the company’s pocket and not the writer’s.

Yes, a producer’s fee might hinder a sale to another company, but if someone is dropping a winner in your lap, a reasonable producer’s fee (unless you're saying the producer's fee would be 15% of the film's profits) shouldn’t be a roadblock to another company. There are management companies that take a producer’s fee instead of their commission from the writer.

Even if there were a 15% forever term, it’s still a good opportunity for a new writer. It may not be right for a professional writer with an agent and manager, but for a new writer Imagine Entertainment is offering to do what a manager does, working with the writer to have a strong, marketable screenplay, and also to do what an agent does, find a buyer.

And keep in mind, Imagine Entertainment isn't just any production company. They are a highly respected and reputable production company. Not too shabby for your screenplay to be tied to forever for 15%, if true.

Last edited by JoeNYC : 07-20-2018 at 07:25 AM.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote