Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
catcon

Default Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

I have no wherewithal to partake of this thing (moving costs, etc.), but as to this 15% clause, which wouldn't surprise me, I'd like to see a dollar-for-dollar buyout option for the writer to get free of it.

Or, if that's more than the original two-month cash value, be able to return that (when you're in the pink and making lots of dough) to be free of the "forever" clause hanging over the project.

Whatever. As I read this thread, I couldn't help but thinking, if it sounds too good to be true...
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #22
Klazart
Regular

Should the use of the word 'identical' in their release clause be a cause for concern? Especially if you're pitching something pretty unique and high concept?

Also, what if your best writing sample happens to be a stage play written in Victorian English? Would you still submit that or go with a more functional tv pilot instead?
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #23
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
Where did you read this 15% forever term? Is there a side agreement that they haven't mentioned on their web site that has this term?

I just went back and checked, and it looks like they revised the terms and removed that onerous clause. It wasn't even me who first spotted that 15% clause - it was another writer I know who went over the terms and then I saw it for myself.

Thanks for taking another look, JoeNYC. I think I will apply after all.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #24
JoeNYC

Applications for Impact 1 has been closed. They’ve scheduled Impact 2 for March 2019.

A tip for those applying for Impact 2: I thought they were just looking for commercial material that was a “practically good fit” for their production company as they had said in their startup, but later, Imagine Impact clarified further with:

“Our program is named Impact because we aim to promote stories whose individual emotional impact can spark a wide cultural impact, as well.”

“individual emotional impact can spark a wide cultural impact”

What this means is that they’re looking for art that will have a positive, emotional impact that will resonate on communities worldwide, which has the potential to spark a cultural impact.

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary: Culture – the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, social class, etc.

Culture is a way of living, thinking and behaving. Cultures are race, ethnicity, gender, religion, geographic location, sexual orientation, social class, etc.

For an example, let’s look at a geographic location, such as, Southern United States during the slavery years. Art had a huge impact on the culture in the South with paintings and sketches of black slaves being bonded, branded, whipped and auctioned.

The most influential art of all that made a huge emotional impact around the world was Harriet Beech Stowe’s novel UNCLE TOM’S CABIN.” When Abraham Lincoln met Harriet Beecher Stow, he said, “Is this the little woman who made this great war?”

Art depicted the emotional side of slavery that had such an impact on people worldwide that it compelled them to act, which impacted the culture of the South.

If your art could emotionally impact a culture in some way, then you could have an edge in succeeding in Imagine Impact.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
briking
Regular

They're supposed to email finalists on a rolling basis starting today. Good luck to everyone that applied.
briking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #26
JoeNYC

On Friday, 8/17/2018, Imagine Impact sent out the pass emails. I know this because I was one of them. To soften the blow, Grazer included a video message about how the Industry kept rejected his "Splash" script, but he believed he had something special, so he didn't give up on it.

I thought his personal message was a classy thing to do -- BUT I'M STILL PISSED AT HIM!

Just kidding, Grazer.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #27
Jai Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
On Friday, 8/17/2018, Imagine Impact sent out the pass emails. I know this because I was one of them. To soften the blow, Grazer included a video message about how the Industry kept rejected his "Splash" script, but he believed he had something special, so he didn't give up on it.

I thought his personal message was a classy thing to do -- BUT I'M STILL PISSED AT HIM!

Just kidding, Grazer.
When I heard there were 4,000 applicants in that 9 day window (with 2,000 of those coming on the final day), I pretty much wrote off my chances. It's essentially a lottery at that point, with many deserving scribes receiving rejections.
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #28
boobtubenewb
New User

Last edited by boobtubenewb : 10-08-2018 at 08:37 PM.
boobtubenewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #29
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobtubenewb View Post
With so many entries in such a short amount of time, forget having time to read the samples - I seriously doubt they even read all the applications in full.
This is logical, considering how everything played out.

When Impact was overloaded with applications and had to change the announcement dates, there were unprofessional writers who bombarded them with all sorts of wacky rumors and conspiracy theories, where Imagine Impact had to respond:

“… there is no higher order to any of this that any of you can solve. We’re just humans reading scripts and applications in the order we received them and the rollout of the interview emails is constrained to the speed that humans can go!”

Impact was under extreme pressure to announce. I knew there was a possibility that this could happen. I wanted to get my application in early, but probably just like the majority of you I didn’t submit mine to the last minute.

Anyway, this is what I tell myself in order to continue to hammer away through the rejection: It was because of the process, not my story idea.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #30
figment

Update.

Some of the projects that are now finished and ready to pitch:

https://deadline.com/2018/11/imagine...ay-1202499001/
figment is offline   Reply With Quote