• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl 2013...

... is now open for entries.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/index.html/

Good luck and God speed.

Re: Nicholl 2013...

Hmm this vs black list. I don't think my sci fi script would fare well compared to the usual list of winners.

Comment

Hmm. So it is. Even though it SAYS March 1 -April 10 is for "Early Bird " entries, inside the site under "Rules/How to Apply" it says submissions can be made in late January.

And, yes, I plan to enter at least one nominally sci-fi script. And maybe three. Because that's what I've been writing.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
        Hmm this vs black list. I don't think my sci fi script would fare well compared to the usual list of winners.
        And you know this to be true? What if you make it to the Quarters? The Semis? Unless your sci-fi story is a bad script, I say go ahead and enter it.

Nicholl Stats - genre breakdown
        http://www.mraymond.com/screenwriting/nichollstats.pdf

Comment

That's weird, what category would zombies/vampires etc. fall under?

Comment

Horror. And horror does better than sci-fi at Nicholl.

Comment

Originally posted by TBEagle View Post
              Not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Here are the 2011 and 2012 comparisons for entries and quarterfinalists:

In 2012, 5.5% of the 7,197 entries were Science Fiction scripts. Of the 368 screenplays advancing to the Quarterfinal Round and beyond, 6.3% were Science Fiction.

In 2011, 5.0% of the 6,730 entries were Science Fiction scripts. Of the 350 screenplays advancing to the Quarterfinal Round and beyond, 5.5% were Science Fiction.

Of the 20 finalists during the past two years, one was science fiction. Which would be about one might expect given the overall numbers. There was also another finalist that was horror in the Alien/The Thing vein.

Comment

Fire away with any questions you have.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                  Not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Here are the 2011 and 2012 comparison for entries and quarterfinalists:

In 2012, 5.5% of the 7,197 entries were Science Fiction scripts. Of the 368 screenplays advancing to the Quarterfinal Round and beyond, 6.3% were Science Fiction.

In 2011, 5.0% of the 6,730 entries were Science Fiction scripts. Of the 350 screenplays advancing to the Quarterfinal Round and beyond, 5.5% were Science Fiction.

Of the 20 finalists during the past two years, one was science fiction. Which would be about one might expect given the overall numbers. There was also another finalist that was horror in the Alien/The Thing vein.
                  It was more compared to the other genres that was entered. I might just do a rewrite and enter my first fantasy script and see how that fares since i'm not trying to go out with it like my sci fi one.

Comment

Greg -

One aspect of genres (and the recognition they get at contests) that's always interested me is whether points are awarded "for difficulty."

In other words, in the thriller/action realm, police procedurals are likely tougher to write well (that is, to write a "page-turner") than gonzo action of the Shane Black variety.

Or, back to sci-fi/horror: science fiction to my mind is more difficult to write well than horror.

If you have a stand-out script in a "tough genre" (or a difficult niche of any genre) would that be more likely to advance than an equally well-written script in a more accessible genre ...?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                      Greg -

One aspect of genres (and the recognition they get at contests) that's always interested me is whether points are awarded "for difficulty."

In other words, in the thriller/action realm, police procedurals are likely tougher to write well (that is, to write a "page-turner") than gonzo action of the Shane Black variety.

Or, back to sci-fi/horror: science fiction to my mind is more difficult to write well than horror.

If you have a stand-out script in a "tough genre" (or a difficult niche of any genre) would that be more likely to advance than an equally well-written script in a more accessible genre ...?
                      I suspect that this will be similar wherever you might submit a script:

Individual readers are going to weigh "difficulty" among all the aspects of a screenplay. Whereas one reader might praise a certain "difficult" script for its complexities, another might dock it for being dense and hard to follow.

It might have been Faulkner who praised Thomas Wolfe for being willing to attempt more than any other contemporary American novelist even though Wolfe knew that some degree of failure was likely.

For some readers an attempt at a vast panorama in and of itself might be enough to ignore various shortcomings while other readers might focus on the shortcomings.

In a slightly different but similar area, we encourage readers not to allow "significant" subject matter to distract them from recognizing the quality of the screenplay.

Comment

Good answer.

Thanks, Greg.

Comment

Hi Greg,

How do animation action comedies fare?

Comment

Originally posted by xplace View Post
                            Hi Greg,

How do animation action comedies fare?
                            Good ones will perform considerably better than not so good ones - but not a single script called an animation action comedy or even animation action was entered in 2011 or 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
                              Good ones will perform considerably better than not so good ones - but not a single script called an animation action comedy or even animation action was entered in 2011 or 2012.
                              I submitted an animation comedy in 2011 and it had action in it
                              TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Working...
                              X