Can a script be produced more than once?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a script be produced more than once?

I had a short produced by a film student long time ago. I got IMDB writing credit for it, so it was official. Now someone else writes me and want to produce it, another film school student. Can this script be produced again? Is it legal? How do the rules work?

Thanks in advance!
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    -Confucius

Re: Can a script be produced more than once?

Firstly, congrats on writing something that resonates with people especially other artists.

Secondly and most importantly, I am not a lawyer. That said, the answer to your question lies, I believe, in who owns the copyright to the script. So long as you did not sell/transfer copyright to the first filmmaker then he/she only owns the copyright of their movie (derivative work) and not the underlying literary source material. Again, I'm not a lawyer.
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

I would also recommend visiting the website of, and possibly giving a call to, The Pierce Law Firm. They rep comedians and writers mostly and are very generous with giving free consultations. They're in it for the long haul and want to establish relationships with talent and not milk newbies for every dollar in their pocket.

I've met David Pierce and he's a good guy with great stories. Ask him about Milton Berle.
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Thank you for your input. I'll keep the law firm info for future references.
        Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
        -Confucius

Comment

Working...
        X