Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #161
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Just curious if you any of you are still grocery shopping? How are things looking at your grocery store? Are basic things still there? There seemed to be a run on toilet paper, wipes, water and canned goods. And I saw all those lines at Costco on the news, so not sure how that helps stop the spread. Governors and mayors encourage social distancing, but then have it so that people congregate in large numbers at these grocery stores.
Yes. I still go to the store two to three times a week here in West LA. It's actually better now/this week than it was a week or two ago. On occasion there will be a line out front -- all nicely spaced by about six feet per person. They let in around 10 people at a time. It's well paced so the store is never busy or crowded. Today, I parked and walked right into the grocery store. They have taken precautions. Quite a few people are now wearing masks and/or wearing gloves. The stores are still out of TP, paper towels and a few other things, but for the most part they had plenty. Not a problem. And if you time it out right, you can usually find some of that stuff still.

We have six grocery stores right around us. Two are super quick to drive to - one to two minute drive at most. And a third store, we can walk to in about four to five minutes tops. The others are about five minutes away at most.

I have yet to see any congregating, so to speak. Everyone has really been cool about social distancing. I try to keep it light when walking near people. Everyone is actually been pretty cool and smart about it. Can't say it's that everywhere all the time, but not an issue yet I have seen out three grocery stores and two different drug stores. The latter are a little hit & miss on supplies, but both are doing a bit better now with supplies.

I always feel like the news, no matter when, always seems to cover the most dramatic places and moments, more so than what's going on in most places, most of the time. Understandable, but can skew one's perception I feel.

Keep your distance. Wash hands. Use your elbows as much as you can to open doors or push elevator buttons, etc. Then wash your hands again.

And in term of the film & TV business, I think people are starting to settle in a little with this current "work from home" situation. People are staying busy working on finishing stuff in post and prepping when production can start back up again. Though I think the latter will still be a ways off, sadly. (My long time, close friend works at one of the big cable networks and he says, he's very busy with projects in spite of it all.) I'm sure if this drags on and on that will change but at least for now they are doing there best with business as usual. Though there are plenty of others that it's not going so well for, unfortunately. It's tough to see and hear about, of course.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #162
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
Yes. I still go to the store two to three times a week here in West LA. It's actually better now/this week than it was a week or two ago. On occasion there will be a line out front -- all nicely spaced by about six feet per person. They let in around 10 people at a time. It's well paced so the store is never busy or crowded. Today, I parked and walked right into the grocery store. They have taken precautions. Quite a few people are now wearing masks and/or wearing gloves. The stores are still out of TP, paper towels and a few other things, but for the most part they had plenty. Not a problem. And if you time it out right, you can usually find some of that stuff still.

We have six grocery stores right around us. Two are super quick to drive to - one to two minute drive at most. And a third store, we can walk to in about four to five minutes tops. The others are about five minutes away at most.
I have yet to see any congregating, so to speak. Everyone has really been cool about social distancing. I try to keep it light when walking near people. Everyone is actually been pretty cool and smart about it. Can't say it's that everywhere all the time, but not an issue yet I have seen out three grocery stores and two different drug stores. The latter are a little hit & miss on supplies, but both are doing a bit better now with supplies.
I always feel like the news, no matter when, always seems to cover the most dramatic places and moments, more so than what's going on in most places, most of the time. Understandable, but can skew one's perception I feel.

Keep your distance. Wash hands. Use your elbows as much as you can to open doors or push elevator buttons, etc. Then wash your hands again.

And in term of the film & TV business, I think people are starting to settle in a little with this current "work from home" situation. People are staying busy working on finishing stuff in post and prepping when production can start back up again. Though I think the latter will still be a ways off, sadly. (My long time, close friend works at one of the big cable networks and he says, he's very busy with projects in spite of it all.) I'm sure if this drags on and on that will change but at least for now they are doing there best with business as usual. Though there are plenty of others that it's not going so well for, unfortunately. It's tough to see and hear about, of course.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you shopping that many times a week before this pandemic? Just out of curiosity, which supermarkets were you seeing this activity? I feel like we keep getting conflicting messaging. They said 6 feet, but then an expert says 27 feet. They say it's not airborne, but then someone mentioned that it could hang in the air for 3 hours. What really concerns me is that Church choir that were separated 6 feet apart and used hand sanitizers without touching each other, but somehow 40 plus got sick. There's probably a lot we still don't know about this virus or maybe the experts are not doing a good job explaining.

Yeah, it's like a lot of people have been blindsided by this. Their whole lives blown up. I keep seeing people getting furloughed. Also, all those business people must be seeing their business go down the drain. I know how slim of margins some of them have and they count on those good months each month to keep going. Even any dip would hurt. I know several restaurant owners who are super scared--trying to figure out how to stay afloat.

What do you think this will look like for writers? Especially those trying to get their careers off the ground? Contest winners and finalists maybe not getting the heat? Will screenplays not be bought or at a lower price? Fewer slots in TV staffing? A shift from the theatrical side to more TV? And I wonder about TV fellowships and programs like Imagine Impact.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #163
catcon

I still do my Sat. morning shopping, by bus. If it comes to it, no cop is going to pull me over for leaving my quarantine, since I'm always trailed by my wire bundle buggy (almost but not quite this). I figure that should prove to any eager officer that I actually am out to buy my weekly dose of Geritol, Dependz and 24-pack of Ensure, rather than going out for a night on the town.

Only thing this stupid store doesn't have is a lottery kiosk, so I have to go to a pharmacy for that. Good. If I told the pursuing officer that I was just going out for a lottery ticket, he'd fine me for sure. But if he sees me wandering into a pharmacy, he'll leave the ole' guy alone and go after that young punk next to me who's out of quarantine instead.

Incidentally, I'm figuring my lotto odds are pretty good. We can't buy them on-line here in Canada, so if we're all locked up and I buy the only ticket they sell, my odds ought to go up, eh? It's at $70 million this week.

Funny thing though, for the big prizes (over $10K) you have to go to a government office to pick up the cheque (check, for you Americans), but of course the government office is closed till further notice. So I might have to sit on a $70 million winning ticket for a few months till the darned office opens.

(Everything I've written was in jest, except for the underlined part)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #164
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you shopping that many times a week before this pandemic? Just out of curiosity, which supermarkets were you seeing this activity? I feel like we keep getting conflicting messaging. They said 6 feet, but then an expert says 27 feet. They say it's not airborne, but then someone mentioned that it could hang in the air for 3 hours. What really concerns me is that Church choir that were separated 6 feet apart and used hand sanitizers without touching each other, but somehow 40 plus got sick. There's probably a lot we still don't know about this virus or maybe the experts are not doing a good job explaining.
I normally go about three to four times a week. Just depends. I shop a little on the lighter side if I can. Getting out is or was nice, so I didn't mind under normal circumstances. Now just about everything gives me a moment of pause. As so many others are surely doing out there, I'm simply trying to get through it all as calmly, rationally and safely as possible, of course. And I am no doctor, but I'm pretty sure 27 feet is not necessary. I try hard just to be respectful of personal space and keep it light with folks. "Hey, coming through. Sorry." Not making fun of the situation or concern, but again trying to do what I can not to go nuts or fuel anyone's paranoia -- and keep it a little upbeat for a moment of levity at least.

Quote:
Yeah, it's like a lot of people have been blindsided by this. Their whole lives blown up. I keep seeing people getting furloughed. Also, all those business people must be seeing their business go down the drain. I know how slim of margins some of them have and they count on those good months each month to keep going. Even any dip would hurt. I know several restaurant owners who are super scared--trying to figure out how to stay afloat.
Not that is doesn't make sense or isn't shocking at the end of the day, but when you really think about the domino effect of it all, it's truly amazing. No one is benefiting from this, that I can think of. A few lowlifes are trying to take advantage of it all, but hopefully karma or better yet the authorities will get them in the end. And a few entities, let's call them, will screw employees over or try to use this pandemic as an excuse to do something crappy.

Quote:
What do you think this will look like for writers? Especially those trying to get their careers off the ground? Contest winners and finalists maybe not getting the heat? Will screenplays not be bought or at a lower price? Fewer slots in TV staffing? A shift from the theatrical side to more TV? And I wonder about TV fellowships and programs like Imagine Impact.
I don't know to be honest. I don't think anyone can truly answer that question right now. As others have wisely noted, if you are writer, then write. Get all the writing you can done while you are home, if possible. In terms of work, when things crank back up, I'm sure there will be shifts on who is available, or who wants to continue with something or not. Most likely, the vast majority of writers will pick back up where they left off; though surely there will be some canned projects too. Features cancelled or "forgotten." TV shows not brought back. One has to think the climate will change to some degree or another. But for example, I have read about showrunners prepping for next season using Zoom as their writers room to discuss scripts and stories.

And yes, it's a shame for contest winners or people accepted into fellowship programs at the moment. Not that that is the most important thing in life, of course. Safety and health outweigh all. But there will possibly be some folks missed, who might have gotten recognized otherwise. That said, people are hopping all over Zoom, FaceTime, etc. to keep the ball rolling. Phone calls as always. Just in-person meetings and the "water bottle tours" won't take place as normal for some time; but I'm sure reps & producers will still reach out if they like someone's writing or if a writer's work is recognized by a contest. And of course, we all have e-mail. I've been e-mailing with writers as I always do. Online festivals are adjusting and trying to go online during this time, which is great to see for filmmakers.

As for a shift, there's already been one from film to TV. Years ago, we used to list twice as many film deals each month relative to TV deals. Of late though, it's basically flip flopped.

I hope for the best for all as soon as possible. Clearly it is very bad out there for many. Maybe a few other folks can chime in with some different perspectives.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 04-03-2020 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Grammar
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #165
TigerFang

For one, I’d like to see Saturday Night Live get some skits together through Zoom or any other way. Maybe individual cast memebrs could use their iPhones and cobble together a history of epidemics and how each of those generations walked uphill both ways to endure them. Let them make their own costumes from whatever they have available—duct tape, foil, newspaper; it could be funny. I miss their show.

We think what we’re going through is bad, but what if you were a pioneer on the frontier in the 1700s with two children who had Scarlet Fever? By the way, there was no toilet paper available then, either.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 PM   #166
Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I normally go about three to four times a week. Just depends. I shop a little on the lighter side if I can. Getting out is or was nice, so I didn't mind under normal circumstances. Now just about everything gives me a moment of pause. As so many others are surely doing out there, I'm simply trying to get through it all as calmly, rationally and safely as possible, of course. And I a no doctor, but I'm pretty sure 27 feet is not necessary. I try hard just to be respectful of personal space and keep it light with folks. "Hey, coming through. Sorry." Not making fun of the situation or concern, but again trying to do what I can not to go nuts or fuel anyone's paranoia -- and keep it a little upbeat for a moment of levity at least.

Not that is doesn't make sense or isn't shocking at the end of the day, but when you really think about the domino effect of it all, it's truly amazing. No one is benefiting from this, that I can think of. A few lowlifes are trying to take advantage of it all, but hopefully karma or better yet the authorities will get them in the end. And a few entities, let's call them, will screw employees over or try to use this pandemic as an excuse to do some crappy.

I don't know to be honest. I don't think anyone can truly answer that question right now. As others have wisely noted, if you are writer, then write. Get all the writing you can done while you are home, if possible. In terms of work, when things crank back up, I'm sure there will be shifts on who is available, or who wants to continue with something or not. Most likely, the vast majority of writers will pick back up where they left off; though surely there will be some canned projects too. Features cancelled or "forgotten." TV shows not brought back. One has to think the climate will change to some degree or another. But for example, I have read about showrunners prepping for next season using Zoom as their writers room to discuss scripts and stories.

And yes, it's a shame for contest winners or people accepted into fellowship programs at the moment. Not that that is the most important thing in life, of course. Safety and health outweigh all. But there will possibly be some folks missed, who might have gotten recognized otherwise. That said, people are hopping all over Zoom, FaceTime, etc. to keep the ball rolling. Phone calls as always. Just in-person meetings and the "water bottle tours" won't take place as normal for some time; but I'm sure reps & producers will still reach out if they like someone's writing or they (the writer) are recognized by a contest. And of course, we all have e-mail. I've been e-mailing with writers as I always do. Online festivals are adjusting and trying to go online during this time, which is great to see for filmmakers.

As for a shift, there's already been on from film to TV. Years ago, we used to list twice as many film deals each month relative to TV deals. Of late though, it's basically flip flopped.

I hope for the best for all as soon as possible. Clearly it is very bad out there for many. Maybe a few other folks can chime in with some different perspectives.

I enjoyed reading your response, Will. A lot of good stuff there. Very well thought out. This pandemic is probably already having deleterious effects on how people interact with each other. Even when it calms down, people will probably be less warm and open to each other. The entertainment industry is so social. I just wonder how this will change things. It occurred to me that Jeff Bezos is making even more money now because people are basically just ordering everything online now.

I get so jealous when I hear stories about how the writing scene was in the 90s. Some guy getting 4 million for a pitch on napkin. Newbie writers being able to break in a script with an original idea. The current scene was already hard, now, you add the pandemic on top of it. I wonder how contests will handle trying to get the word out on their finalists and winners. How managers will try to get people's attention on their new writers. I think the established writers at the top will be just fine. It's all the other little people that will face a greater unknown.

On a side note, I had all these favorite restaurants and desert places that I really loved. I hope they are still around when this thing calms down.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #167
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
For one, Id like to see Saturday Night Live...
During the lead up to the first Gulf War, when otherwise we all had metal in our mouths thinking we were on the way to an apocalypse, I remember SNL made us all laugh with its irreverence on the topic. (Oddly, I've barely watched it since the 90s)

I think the first pandemic-related movies that come out will be comedies; it's the way we get through and get over things. We can often laugh at stuff that, secretly, we never would associate with or that we even disagree with.

Last night, for a break, I watched "Bad Grandpa". Horrible. But hysterical, too. Never want to watch it again, but sometimes it is joyous to see people do and say things that I/we'd never consider ourselves.

Anyway, since I'm recommending films of that type, I'd consider Bad Santa or Bad Words to anyone here.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:27 AM   #168
DDoc
Regular

Good choices, catcon. The wife and I watched Naked Gun last night. I probably saw that over 10 times when I was a kid and it's still funny as hell.

Anyway, as far as writing goes I've accepted that I'm not getting in anytime soon. For all I know I was years off anyway but I feel like this situation guarantees it. I think it's a good time to just write, as others have said.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #169
Friday

You know a stupid comedy that I was surprised I laughed at was that John Cena fireman comedy with the kids. My favorite this year so far is still JoJo Rabbit. Sitting home all day watching TV and eating can't be good.

With the current situation, I wonder how interested producers and execs are willing to read scripts from newer writers.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #170
kintnerboy

Quote:
You know a stupid comedy that I was surprised I laughed at was that John Cena fireman comedy with the kids. My favorite this year so far is still JoJo Rabbit. Sitting home all day watching TV and eating can't be good.

With the current situation, I wonder how interested producers and execs are willing to read scripts from newer writers.

My prediction is that when this thing is over we are going to see less of the dark/dystopian social satires and a move back to silly comedies. People need to laugh and there is going to be a real re-evaluation of everyone's priorities in life.

That said, I would absolutely not query anyone in the business until June at the earliest. God forbid someone they care about is sick, and you never know what people are dealing with in their personal lives. Though if you are waiting for a reply to a previous submission, there is a good chance a lot of people are reading them right now.

The producer of the John Cena movie you mentioned (Sean Robins) is open to submissions from unrepped / new writers. I reached him through VPF, but you can try your luck with a query (again, not now). He is a voracious reader, a quick replier, and and all around nice guy.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote