Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
peakbeach
User

Default Indie: "If you don't mind, I'll make your 100 M project a 10M flick."

Can this ever happen?

You intended big budget studio project catches the interest of an indie exec who offers you a low-budget solution. By now you've already exhausted (at least you think so) the big studio blockbuster dream.

He loves the spec script and right away sees ways to cut the difficult locations, special effects, name attachments (if any), and other expensive filmmaking tools and procedures... if only you agree.

He might even change some of the story elements to fit his cost-reducing, genre-honing vision and other marketing-enhancing considerations... but you still agree, because he remains faithful to the central story.

Would he work directly from your original well-crafted spec or give you instructions/feedback to rewrite the sucker before starting production?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by peakbeach : 09-17-2005 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added an ending question
peakbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
English Dave

Default Re: Indie: "If you don't mind, I'll make your 100 M project a 10M flick."

yes. But they won't have any money to pay you to do it.
English Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
peakbeach
User

Default Re: Indie: "If you don't mind, I'll make your 100 M project a 10M flick."

Won't a prodco (exec producers, financing associates, etc.) who loves your project and wants to make the film following their own vision put the money upfront or at least make the effort to get it... if they think they can market it and make a profit?
peakbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
English Dave

No. Okay yes...they might try.

Think on this. Why does your script or vision or whatever induce someone to invest more than you have earned in your life into bringing that to the screen? Why do they think it will make a profit?

Last edited by English Dave : 09-17-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #5
English Dave

Sorry Boski I edited my post before you read it. But I would say that anyone who pays 30k for an option from unknowns IS a HW player, a wannabee HW player, or an idiot.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boski
It's actually a Canadian prodco. And definitely NOT a HW player or even a wannabe HW player as far as I can tell. (WE set up a deal where they partnered with some HW producers to submit the script wide to the studios)

They have about 30 produced credits, mostly TV MOW's, and about 7 or 8 low-budget features. I think they co-finance a lot of their stuff with the UK.

And I don't think they're idiots, either. So there must at least be a fourth possible category in your analysis...
Nope they fall into the wanabee category. But my wanabee category is those with a track record who have a hope in hell. The prodco you refer to has produced credits and is working with people like the Beeb. That is a seperate category from idiot.

And a good wannabbe can be better than a player because they are hungrier.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
English Dave

Boski, I already replied to your original unedited post? You are confusing me. I thought your original post was quite sensible. But why edit my reply to make it not what it was intended?

EDIT

I've decided you are a tit.

did you get that or do you want to change it to read genius?

Last edited by English Dave : 09-17-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
English Dave

Sticking with the Tit. This isn't 'one on one' Boski. Here it actually means something.

Last edited by English Dave : 09-17-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #9
Joe Unidos

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave

Sticking with the Tit. This isn't 'one on one' Boski. Here it actually means something.
Thanks for making me piss my pants giggling, ED.
Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #10
English Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boski
Yeah-I know. And I've noticed that in this thread and the one on getting an actor attached, of the two of us, I'm the only one with ACTUAL EXPERIENCE THAT MEANS SOMETHING.
You think?

I'm a pro writer. Have been for years, so I must be doing something right. Because of that I think my opinion on the business end - and it is a business - has some validity.

Now, the question was, having exhausted the posibilities of a script being a blockbuster is it possible that a small prodco will pick it up and if they share your vision will they try to get finance and make it on a vastly reduced budget. Well...having been down that road on several occasions I think that qualifies as experience.

The answer is...Of course they will. Will they pay you for rewrites? Who knows, depends on the size of their pockets. Will it need rewrites? Of course it will.

But in the abscence of private finance where are these prodcos going to go for cash. To the same studios who rejected the script in the first place. Was the only reason the studios rejected the script because the budget was too big? Unlikely. Is it your 'central vision'? More likely.

As far as getting actors attached, I've had a couple of projects with actors attached. Does it mean anything. Only if the actor has any clout or is ideal for the part and enhances it's marketability. I had a major star attached to a project which turned out to be a deal breaker because the prodco didn't want them. So be careful.

And Boski I feel I was a little harsh. Put it down to the writers fear of being re written. My apologies.

Peace out.

Last edited by English Dave : 09-19-2005 at 01:53 AM.