Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
Robot17

Default Re: No response

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Always follow up queries. If you don't give a damn why should THEY?
Ditto.

I give two weeks although I usually ask when I talk with them on the phone. I don't send blind emails or letters. I call first for their policies and a name to address it to.

One reason I don't do fire and forget is because I'm good on the phone and can often get people talking and get input from them. I've developed some GREAT contacts at production companies that way.

Oddly enough, if you're succinct and brief, many of the people you talk to sort of admire the gumption so don't worry about hassling them as long as you're not rude. I have a great contact that is a major major major director's development guy who has spent quite a bit of time feeding me input via email, and that was because we had a couple brief talks regarding one of my high concept stories.

I also have another great contact at the most successful producer in the world's office I can go back to because someone in the office lost my script (or left - I forget) and she felt terrible about it etc. She's really cool and if I hadn't followed up I wouldn't be able to meet up with them in the future etc.

Like I said though, I'm really good on the phone so if you're not you may go about it in a different way. And by the way - these people are great contacts because my bet is they're also great people. I've talked to lots of those in Hollywood in spite of what you hear.

Bot
Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
gravitas

I'm very thankful for everyone's responses. I think the real bitch of this one is that it is an event film/ fantasy epic. Not the best genre for an unproduced writer to attempt to market.
gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #13
Robot17

Gravitas -

I don't know whether you'll suceed when you query people with your project.

I do know whether you'll suceed if you don't.

Send them the next American Beauty.

Bot
Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
gravitas

Alright, so I called a prodco the other day and here's how I got past this:

Her -- "Sorry, we don't accept unsolicited materials"

Me -- "Can I have my lawyer send it over?"

Her -- "Sure."

So now I am past the first threshold, but I still have things to figure out, as my lawyer typically doesn't submit materials for his clients.

Mind you, this is not a prodco I queried in the past. My approach has been wildly random so far. Email, fax, and now phone.

Thanks for all the help. Bot your message inspired me!

Now if I can only figure out the lawyer thing...
Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
Robot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitas View Post
Alright, so I called a prodco the other day and here's how I got past this:

Her -- "Sorry, we don't accept unsolicited materials"

Me -- "Can I have my lawyer send it over?"

Her -- "Sure."

So now I am past the first threshold, but I still have things to figure out, as my lawyer typically doesn't submit materials for his clients.

Mind you, this is not a prodco I queried in the past. My approach has been wildly random so far. Email, fax, and now phone.

Thanks for all the help. Bot your message inspired me!

Now if I can only figure out the lawyer thing...
Now query attorneys. The conversation goes like this:

You
Hi, my name is Gravitas, and I have a submission I need to make to Dreamworks (whoever) and they'd like to see it come through an entertainment attorney. Would anyone in the office be amenable to that or could you refer another attorney to me?

Assistant
No, we only work with people we have relationships with.

You then move on to the next one in the Creative Directory.

Assistant
Let me take a message and if anyone can help you we'll let you know.

You then move on to the next one in the Creative Directory.

Assistant
No, we only work with people we have relationships with, but you can call Joe Schmoe at Schmoe, Smith and Jones. Here's the number etc.

You then call Schmoe, Smith and Jones and tell them so-and-so refered me to you etc.

Repeat until you have a submission rep.

You should be able to come up with somebody that will help although you may have to pay a fee or hourly rate.

Bot
Old 02-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
gravitas

Wow how much does this suck? The prodco assistant that told me it was OK to send through my lawyer, called him today and said not to send because they don't want any unsolicited submissions, and are behind on their reading. ****. Moving on.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Robot17

Query attorneys though.
You'll run into it again.

Gravitas - out of curiosity, why did you call them after they said yes?

Bot
Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
gravitas

This was not a prodco I had queried previously. I thought I'd try the phone route initially instead of fax or email.

I haven't had one request out of about thirty queries, so I think the logline needs re-worked. Something in my approach isn't working here, so I'll just keep at it. I do appreciate the input from everyone.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #19
Robot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitas View Post
This was not a prodco I had queried previously. I thought I'd try the phone route initially instead of fax or email.

I haven't had one request out of about thirty queries, so I think the logline needs re-worked. Something in my approach isn't working here, so I'll just keep at it. I do appreciate the input from everyone.
Gravitas -
Here's a post of mine from WP that could help you.

Please read and re-read the part about not sending anything until you're sure it's good enough and a professional quality script.

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/scr...gi?read=151401

I want to make sure that you're using bullets that you can go pick up and use again because even if they pass on your project if they like your writing you'll probably be able to submit to them again.

This place is a great board to post loglines and get feed back. Scripts are another story, but in general you'll be able to work out a servicable logline here and probably get submissions if the story has merit to begin with.

Check out the post though.

Bot