No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Theaters raising prices for 3D

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
    But at some point people will stop paying. Movies are entertainment. It's not like people have to see them to survive.

Hell, I can pay $7 or $8 for a paperback and get more hours of entertainment. Or get one from a library.
    That's the thing. If prices keep going up and up it'll become a luxary for the rich.
    I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      Why not just make good movies that people will want to see again? That way, you can keep the same ticket prices and still make more money.

Aw, f**k it. Too logical.
      You're so full of **** your eyes are brown. Qaulity of Film has nothing to do with it. Because we've seen prices steadily rise regardless of what films are in theathers over the years to their astronomical prices today.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
        It doesn't rise that quickly. These prices have risen over decades, and are barely noticeable.

The reason we've got this thread in the first place is because the 3-d theaters were stupid. They've only had proper 3-d films being shown for a few months and they're already raising their prices.
        Yeah, there are economic conspiracy theorists who say that prices will rise to 20 dollars a pop by next year. And that concessions will be 10 dollars for a large soda, and 15 for a large popcorn.

and sooner or later it'll cost 100 dollars to go to the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by hscope View Post
          With cartoons and a report on the D Day landings...
          and a door prize with ticket #4178
          you got yourself a new baby doll with lifelike glass eyes where the lids go up and down when you rock her.

they prices of going to these pro movies is nothing compared to going to a pro sports game. it amazes me every time i see that some family spend $80 for each of their 3 kids and the neighbor's kid to go see a baseball game that they don't really watch.

no need to raise the prices for 3D. they should start marketing designer 3D glasses... or they could rent them out.

Comment

I wonder what will be next? Will they charge extra for films that are longer than, say, 90 minutes? Will they charge extra for films that had a monster budget? Will they charge more for certain genres? Will they charge more because of certain actors and directors? The list is endless...

And they wonder why people download everything...

Yes, I'm an evil wooden legged pirate. Get over it.

Comment

Just read a couple of reviews of Clash of the Titans over on AICN that are saying that the post production 3D is awful, and advising people only to see it in 2D.
              "Only nothing is impossible."
              - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                Just read a couple of reviews of Clash of the Titans over on AICN that are saying that the post production 3D is awful, and advising people only to see it in 2D.
                2D, 3D...neither changes the shortcomings of the script.

Comment

A quick word on Clash of the Titans which I have just got back from...

Paid an aditional £1.50 to see the 3D version, which was my choice as the 2D version was also playing, however... as we know this film was filmed 2D then "upgraded" into 3D, and while the first reel or two had some decent 3D effects, by the middle of the movie I forgot I was watching it in three-dimensions.

In other words, I felt they simply did not have enough time to do the job properly -- so now paying that additional money feels bit of a swizz.

I fully expected they'd at least go all-out on the final reel, but no, just the odd-shot looked full 3D. Most of the time the 3D was "light", certainly compared to other "Real-D" movies.

Be interesting to see what other people thought over the weekend.
                  Last edited by sherbetbizarre; 04-02-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sherbetbizarre View Post
                    A quick word on Clash of the Titans which I have just got back from...

Paid an aditional £1.50 to see the 3D version, which was my choice as the 2D version was also playing, however... as we know this film was filmed 2D then "upgraded" into 3D, and while the first reel or two had some decent 3D effects, by the middle of the movie I forgot I was watching it in three-dimensions.

In other words, I felt they simply did not have enough time to do the job properly -- so now paying that additional money feels bit of a swizz.

I fully expected they'd at least go all-out on the final reel, but no, just the odd-shot looked full 3D. Most of the time the 3D was "light", certainly compared to other "Real-D" movies.

Be interesting to see what other people thought over the weekend.
                    i actually thought the 3d in avatar wasnt that great. best 3d movie ive seen so far is beowulf.

Comment

Nate's post, movie ticket prices, lunch with Jay Z & Beyonce...

Nate:
                      I think most members here WOULD notice a ticket price increase from $5/6 to $10/12 for theater/mat ticket prices over a span of 5-6 years in most US theaters. Unless you tool around in a Rolls Royce or a Bentley and dine out with P-Diddy & Jay Z the ticket price increases are a lot of scrilla.
                      I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                        i actually thought the 3d in avatar wasnt that great. best 3d movie ive seen so far is beowulf.
                        I agree. Not that I think that the 3D in Avatar was bad. It just didn't have the impact the Beowulf had, and I could totally see that being a deliberate choice that Cameron made.
                        "Only nothing is impossible."
                        - Grant Morrison

Comment

Originally posted by instant_karma View Post
                          I agree. Not that I think that the 3D in Avatar was bad. It just didn't have the impact the Beowulf had, and I could totally see that being a deliberate choice that Cameron made.
                          that's too bad if cameron did make that choice deliberately. when i see 3d, i want to be immersed in it the entire time much like beowulf and all those 3d theme park shows do. avatar was so hyped up as revolutionizing 3d when it was really subtle. i think only once or twice did anything actually fly past me onscreen and the separation of the foreground/background on screen i wish was greater. the biggest advancement avatar had was with cg facial expressions.

by the by, i saw beowulf on 2d on cable the other day and it was sucky compared to my 3d experience of it. think that shows how much GOOD 3d can impact a movie and im kicking myself for not seeing UP in 3d as i heard it was a fantastic experience, not so much alice in wonderland or clash of the titans.

Comment

Business models, movie complexes, layouts ...

Movie chains like Regal, AMC, etc or theater owners would get more business or support of higher prices if the improved the seats, had quiet, working AC systems in hot weather, avoided or removed the screaming babies and stickly floors , and improved the sound systems. To offer better snacks, concessions and drinks/beverages would be a step up too, .

The problem is that most US theaters are stuck in the 1970s/1980s mindset of cheap, crappy venues that go unused for 70-90% of the movie runs. It's all about turn-over and low profits. Actor Jack Nickelson said the same thing many years ago in the early 1990s about how Hollywood puts a lot of time & $$$ then has the film play in some dump bowling alley type theater.
                            I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Working...
                            X