Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
dtracking
New User

Default Contact at Sony Pictures Classics?

NYC office - I know it's a long shot.

Would love to have reach someone in the office through a legit contact for a very quick question about something submitted.

I do have contact information but I don't want to send a cold query - if anyone has a connection at SPC, (like an acquaintance) please PM me. I'm happy to give more details, if you like.

Thank You!
dtracking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
jtwg50

Default Re: Contact at Sony Pictures Classics?

It's not a long shot at all. I have had a relationship with them dating back two scripts ago and my first script almost got set up there. They are very accessible. BUT: They have no interest in raw scripts. They are only interested in scripts that already have an established director attached. And they are not interested in very "commercial fare," meaning their niche is more indie/artistic -- like Woody Allen.
As for the right contact, you should be able to figure that out on your own. it's just too lazy to ask for a name here. Do your homework, just as I did.
jtwg50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
coffeywriter
Regular

Sony Pictures Entertainment can be pitched through virtualpitchfest.com
coffeywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
jtwg50

Coffey: He was asking about Sony Pictures Classics, not Sony. SPC is an entirely autonomous, separate company that serves the specialty film niche.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
coffeywriter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwg50 View Post
As for the right contact, you should be able to figure that out on your own. it's just too lazy to ask for a name here. Do your homework, just as I did.
Wow, this was cold. I'm sure along your journey others have helped you along, when they could have just as easily said do it/figure it out on your own. I thought the whole purpose of the DD forums is to network, ask questions and share information. We are all in the same boat together, and should be willing to help one another. Guess that isn't the case for everyone.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
coffeywriter
Regular

Quote:
Coffey: He was asking about Sony Pictures Classics, not Sony. SPC is an entirely autonomous, separate company that serves the specialty film niche.
I know what Sony Pictures Classics is. I was just sharing what little info I had about Sony. He can do with it what he wants.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
BurningWorld
Regular

Quote:
It's not a long shot at all. I have had a relationship with them dating back two scripts ago and my first script almost got set up there. They are very accessible. BUT: They have no interest in raw scripts. They are only interested in scripts that already have an established director attached. And they are not interested in very "commercial fare," meaning their niche is more indie/artistic -- like Woody Allen.
Quite frankly, you're a dick. He was asking for help.

Also, looking at your posting history, you've asked people for referrals to their managers without even knowing them. So you're a big hypocrite also.

Last edited by BurningWorld : 07-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.
BurningWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
jtwg50

I'm sorry it my response seemed cold. That was not my intent. I provided the information he needed, in that SPC will only look at a script that already has a meaningful director attached. And it is not very hard to pick up the phone and call them and confirm that. It's also not very hard to get the assistant to the head of acquisitions on the phone.
As for the notion that I have asked for referrals since first coming to DD in 2007, I have gotten exactly ONE -- from the great Joe Nienalt.
And I have provided them to several people here, including to my ex-agent (who died suddenly last fall), so hopefully one or two of them might chime in about how willing I have been to try to help someone -- once I have read their script and think it has a shot.
Finally, I have just come to realize that many posters here are just LAZY -- as evidenced by the strings of "PM me, too" in these kinds of threads.
I got read at all of the Big 4 agencies in 2007 because I didn't my homework and got on the phone. I got signed by Caren Bohrman (who supposedly only took referrals, which I did NOT have) because I called her, got her on the phone and convinced her to give me a read.
This business requires talent and initiative. And I am always willing to help those who have both. But as I said, you need to do your homework, which is not very hard.
But again, I'm sorry if I came off as cold.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
coffeywriter
Regular

"I got read at all of the Big 4 agencies in 2007 because I didn't my homework and got on the phone. I got signed by Caren Bohrman (who supposedly only took referrals, which I did NOT have) because I called her, got her on the phone and convinced her to give me a read."

Definitely a reminder that hard work pays off!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
keithcalder
User

Honestly, it's a waste of time to submit naked specs to Sony Pictures Classics. Their business model is almost entirely built around acquiring finished films before or after film festivals, often from filmmakers they've already worked with in the past. I've had two films released by Sony Pictures Classics, and they had no interest in either of those films until after they were made. Also, even after having worked with SPC multiple times, I've only ever had SPC chase an unproduced project of mine when it had an Oscar-winning filmmaker attached.

I don't say this to be negative, but of all the various studio production/distribution divisions, SPC is probably the worst place to submit a naked spec script.
keithcalder is offline   Reply With Quote