Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Introduction in a Photo

If a character is first seen in a photograph are they introduced in CAPS as they would as if it's their first scene? and if so - would you repeat the CAPS when they are actually in their first scene?
    My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Re: Character Introduction in a Photo

I would. And if there's a fairly big page gap between the two maybe also point out that we've already seen them in the photo.
    Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

The question reminded me of an entry in last year's fun Touch of Noir contest in Writing Exercises forum:

The Boss pushes a B/W photograph toward Daisy.

THE BOSS
      The address is on the back.

The photograph shows a handsome Italian-looking guy. Maisy
      turns it over and reads the back. She's a little puzzled.

[later]

EXT. BLACK ORCHID NIGHTCLUB - NIGHT

Maisy watches from across the street. She checks the back
      of the photograph. It says "Black Orchid Nightclub." She
      turns over the photograph, stares at the picture of the
      handsome Italian-looking guy.

INT. BLACK ORCHID NIGHTCLUB - NIGHT

SAL, the guy in the photograph, schmoozes with CUSTOMERS who
      enjoy the live entertainment, a four-piece JAZZ BAND.
      -Derek

Comment

Great, thanks for the helpful responses! Chip
        My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

I just had the same question and found this thread, but my question is a little more detailed.

If we meet YULIA first in a photo, should she get a full description as well as caps when we see her in the photo -- e.g., YULIA, late 20's, fragile-looking?

I'm leaning toward using caps for the name with both the photo and the actual person, with the age with the photo, and the character details with the "real" person.

I.e., photo intro is "YULIA, late 20s."

"Real" person intro is: "Finally, Michael sees YULIA. She has the fragile look of a wounded innocent, like someone who needs protecting."

(My theory is that we only get a limited impression from a photo, with a more rounded view when the character appears.)

Does that work, or do people have other ideas for a "split" intro?
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
            I just had the same question and found this thread, but my question is a little more detailed.

If we meet YULIA first in a photo, should she get a full description as well as caps when we see her in the photo -- e.g., YULIA, late 20's, fragile-looking?

I'm leaning toward using caps for the name with both the photo and the actual person, with the age with the photo, and the character details with the "real" person.

"Real" person intro is: "Finally, Michael sees YULIA. She has the fragile look of a wounded innocent, like someone who needs protecting."

(My theory is that we only get a limited impression from a photo, with a more rounded view when the character appears.)

I think you should be guided by the movie you see in your head.

When the audience is watching this scene in the theatre, what is the message you want them to get from the picture?

If it's a sadness or a fragility in the character, then put that into the script. Let the reader feel the same emotion you want the viewer to.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post

I have a similar situation in my current spec.

We are first introduced to Griftka on an ipad-- I use all caps for his name and an extended character description of what 'we see' of him in the video interview-- our impression.

Later when actually introducing the 'flesh and blood' character I reintroduce him in all caps and take the liberty once again to editorialize the essence of his character, which is much bigger, and more menacing.

It works.

Do what you think best communicates your vision of the story and character.
              FA4
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I may have a different take on this.

The picture is really a prop, not a character. Whether you use ALL CAPS for the name in the picture is irrelevant to the use of ALL CAPS for the character.

The purpose of the ALL CAPS is to signal first appearance of the character. It was originally applied to first appearance of SPEAKING characters only, but I do not know if people follow distinction (speaking vs. nonspeaking) with any consistency anymore.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
                X