Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note at the top of a script?

I'm considering putting a note at the top of the script, something to the effect of...

[NOTE: Throughout this script, italics will be used within a scene to denote the change from a physical world to a "ghost world"]

Something like that.

The question is, when should a writer use notes? I figure it may be a good idea, as it may help prepare for the odd formatting. Then again, this may fall under the age-old "show, don't tell" mantra, and demonstrating the formatting change without spelling it out may be best. So, when is spelling out something like this a good idea?

Thanks

Re: Note at the top of a script?

I think if you make the first instance you're in the ghost world clear, the reader will quickly pick up that italics mean we're in the ghost world. Although reading more than a word or two in italics will give you a headache. I'd say if you can avoid the note, do it, but if it's confusing without it, then put it in. No one will care much if the script is good and it needed it. You might want to put it in after the very first time you use it, so it bumps less on the opening few pages. Although getting it out of the way on the first page has its benefits though too.
    There you go. I've given you nothing helpful, haha.
    @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

A few thoughts as a nonprofessional screenwriter, but also as someone who has fielded a lot of formatting questions over the last dozen years ...

1. I do not see anything wrong with having an explanatory note, or even multiple notes, if they are needed.

2. However, I would not do it the way you are planning, with the italics. The fact is that long passages of italics are distracting.

3. A screenplay is also called a "script" for a reason. A script is a kind of blueprint for a presentation. It is hard to answer questions like yours without seeing actual instances of the problem itself. I can envision several different situations that you might be talking about, and each might require its own solution.

I am assuming that you are talking about "ghost" actions and dialogue that take place at the same place and time as things happening in the "real" world.

If these ghostly elements are just simple, limited instances of action and dialogue, mixed in with elements from the real world, you may not need to tag them in any way. If the ghostly actions are lengthier, you probably need to tag them to separate them from the living people and their actions. In such a case you can just bookend the ghostly sequence with GHOST WORLD and END GHOST WORLD or something like that. It really just depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are presenting scenes within scenes, with the ghostly scenes in different locations, then you really just need normal scenes and scene headings for every discrete scene.

If you would like to present some pages, it would be easier to offer advice. But you really do not need to write extended passages of italics. The whole script should make sense if someone were reading it aloud to someone else, with scene headings, parentheticals, etc., but not with remarks like "by the way, all of this is italicized until we leave Ghost World, and I will tell you when that happens."

Seriously, pages would help.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
        A few thoughts as a nonprofessional screenwriter, but also as someone who has fielded a lot of formatting questions over the last dozen years ...

1. I do not see anything wrong with having an explanatory note, or even multiple notes, if they are needed.

2. However, I would not do it the way you are planning, with the italics. The fact is that long passages of italics are distracting.

3. A screenplay is also called a "script" for a reason. A script is a kind of blueprint for a presentation. It is hard to answer questions like yours without seeing actual instances of the problem itself. I can envision several different situations that you might be talking about, and each might require its own solution.

I am assuming that you are talking about "ghost" actions and dialogue that take place at the same place and time as things happening in the "real" world.

If these ghostly elements are just simple, limited instances of action and dialogue, mixed in with elements from the real world, you may not need to tag them in any way. If the ghostly actions are lengthier, you probably need to tag them to separate them from the living people and their actions. In such a case you can just bookend the ghostly sequence with GHOST WORLD and END GHOST WORLD or something like that. It really just depends on what you are trying to do.

If you are presenting scenes within scenes, with the ghostly scenes in different locations, then you really just need normal scenes and scene headings for every discrete scene.

If you would like to present some pages, it would be easier to offer advice. But you really do not need to write extended passages of italics. The whole script should make sense if someone were reading it aloud to someone else, with scene headings, parentheticals, etc., but not with remarks like "by the way, all of this is italicized until we leave Ghost World, and I will tell you when that happens."

Seriously, pages would help.
        For what it's worth, I would opt for indicating the transitions in a more traditional way, by simply indicating, INTO GHOST WORLD and OUT OF GHOST WORLD every time you do it.

All that you're doing with the italics is saving some lines, which is always a worthy thing to strive for, but when you do it, potentially, at the expense of clarity, it's rarely worth it.

Somebody skips that opening note, or puts the script down for a couple day and picks it up and forgets what the italics mean and then gets confused about it -- it's just not worth it.

If a reader is told every time -- ghost world, not ghost world, then there's not going to be any confusion.

NMS

Comment

Thank you all so much. Really great thoughts. I haven't written any pages as yet; I'm finishing up my outlining. I may put some pages up once I have them (ones with the instance of ghost world use anyway). "Into/Out of Ghost World" may be the ticket.

Comment

What about a note for a foreign language?

If they speak english and have an accent is that assumed?
            I will not fall into despair! I will keep myself hearty, till freedom is opportune!

Comment

Originally posted by nycscreenwriter View Post
              What about a note for a foreign language?

If they speak english and have an accent is that assumed?
              There are pretty lengthy threads on this topic. Opinions differ and situations differ in respect to how to properly indicate that people are speaking a foreign language. Many people feel that a single note at the top is sufficient.

I always worry (because experience has shown at various times that it happens) that when you don't indicate things very clearly as you go that misunderstandings will frequently happen.

So if the goal is that someone is speaking French, I would write:

NOTE: Pierre and Henri speak French, sub-titled in English.

PIERRE (IN FRENCH)
              Hi, I'm speaking in French.

HENRI (IN FRENCH)
              Me too. I'm a French Person.

GEORGE
              I have no idea what you two French people
              are saying.

HENRI (IN FRENCH)
              Stupid non-French-speaking American.

Always try to make it as clear as you can. It will be a rare day when you will be criticized for making something too understandable.

As for accents, generally, what works for me is to indicate the ethnicity of a character and then just suggest the accent through the phrasing and and the occasional word here or there.

Less is definitely more when accents come in.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by samtocilarul View Post
                I'm considering putting a note at the top of the script, something to the effect of...

[NOTE: Throughout this script, italics will be used within a scene to denote the change from a physical world to a "ghost world"]

Something like that.

The question is, when should a writer use notes? I figure it may be a good idea, as it may help prepare for the odd formatting. Then again, this may fall under the age-old "show, don't tell" mantra, and demonstrating the formatting change without spelling it out may be best. So, when is spelling out something like this a good idea?

Thanks
                Personally, I think you should transition into the ghost world more organically using the narrative e.g.

Sarah's face darkens. That's because the shadows in the room
                are turning. It's happening again.

Sarah turns and runs away, but the hallway lengthens -- the end
                door becoming further away with every step.

The shadows behind her bleed into the center, taking on a malevolent form...

Blah blah blah.

I think you can use italics to disorient the reader -- assuming this ghost world is topsy turvy. Or not. Up to you.

Comment

To avoid distracting the reader and spoiling the opening of the film with authorial notes, I'd make it on a separate page. Like John August did with Nines:

http://johnaugust.com/downloads_ripl...ines_final.pdf

Comment

the greatest NOTE TO READER I ever read is in Dan Fogelman's screenplay -- Gary Coleman - Emmanuel Lewis Project, The -- which I believe hit the blacklist some years ago. Whata great, fun script.

Comment

Working...
                    X