Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Originality vs Unoriginality

I belong to this online community (non-writing) that has well over 100K members and one day this young dude started this thread, that out of it emerged this crazy "what if" that basically started a firestorm and well over 5K "my mind is blown" responses/comments.

I started writing and 108 pages later I wrote a script that really wrote itself. That "what if" I reduced to a hook that occurs within the first 10. The hook is totally original (I've never heard/seen the notion fully expressed verbally or in writing, let alone in a film) but the story I built around it is well, very unoriginal/nothing new.

It's hard to be original in basic storytelling but we can introduce elements that are original and fresh.

My hope lies in the execution of the unoriginal and the introduction of what I believe to be something very original.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
      I look at it like cooking. There's only so many ingredients, but you can combine them and use them in new and interesting ways.
      I Like this quote and "UglyShirt's" too, but take this in for a second, everyone can fry an egg right? But, take 50 million People everyone frying an egg, will all the eggs taste the same? NO!, its still an egg, but We all will use different oils, different pans and will play a role in the taste too.
      "Run, Walk, Or move so others can pass by" - Manuel Ponce

Comment

There's been much written on the idea that there are a finite number of story plots in all fiction, dating back to the Greek tragedies and comedies from which Shakespeare clearly borrowed.

What makes them original is the personal experiences and insights the writer brings to the story from his her own POV.

Example: a basic rom-com plot like boy meets-loses-wins girl -- the point of difference is our own experiences, insights, themes...

In another thread people are ripping on Cameron for Avatar's similarity to other films. But the idea of someone from one (developed) society entering "the other" (less developed/more in tune with nature) society who "goes native" then aligns themselves with "the other," is an old plot as well.

I think the problem is we have been saturated with entertainment all of our lives. And it could be said -- to some degree -- we've all been living vicariously through TV and film characters.Sometimes we flip the 'art imitates life' to the opposite pole of 'life imitates art,' even in our own lives.

So - yes - plots are similar to previous material (boy-meets-loses-gets girl) but we have to avoid falling into the hole where our characters, dialogue and execution of a traditional plot is laden with things we, knowingly or unknowingly, swiped from work that has gone before.

I think many of us may be unconsciously imitating what we've read or seen before.

This hit me hard when I did a favor for a friend who needed someone to teach a non-matriculated creative writing class at the local CC. I had a cross-section of students of all ages -- some retirees who always wanted to write, a couple who had been to many writing retreats, a retired teacher, a couple of 20-somethings, even a pro artist who always wanted to write...

But the best student, the one who blew all the others away with her approach to story and plot, was a late 20s Mom with three kids who got married straight out of high school. She was very self-conscious about her lack of education and lack of exposure to literature. Still -- her work was compelling.

Then it struck me why her stuff was so good, so fresh -- she wasn't unconsciously imitating other writers. She was writing from her own experiences, writing from a place to find answers to questions she personally struggled with.

Ironically, a couple of the most over-educated students, the ones who always dropped into the discussion mention of other writers -- "In the novels of xyz, he uses the blah-blah-blah technique ... Faulkner for example, blah, blah.... " -- their work was the most derivative and highly self conscious.

I once took a class with a published writer who said with a flippant tone -- the first thing you have to do is forget everything you've ever read. I though he was joking but now I see his point.

Here's a link to an overview of different plot theories:
        http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Last edited by sbbn; 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originality is like a butterfly. Don't try and catch it. But look on your shoulder every once in a while and you'll find one sitting there. Don't know who originally said that.
            Story Structure 1
            Story Structure 2
            Story Structure 3

Comment

Originality is to create a world, characters and story that can only be define as a window into a greater truth and a truth that remains to be unseen unless we write it.

Comment

It is not writing something original that makes a good screenplay, it is writing in a unique voice that gives a script originality.
                Ron Aberdeen
                http://www.ronaberdeen.com/
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3609083/

Comment

Nothing is original.

Remember THE BEAVER? The Black List script that was incredibly, mind-blowingly off-the-wall and unique? It certainly was--to anybody who hasn't seen HOW TO GET AHEAD IN ADVERTISING.

How about Charlie Kaufman? He's totally original, isn't he? What an imagination! But that squabbling-brothers plot thread in ADAPTATION sounds a LOT like Sam Shepard's play TRUE WEST...

People who survive a plane crash in which they were supposed to die are stalked by Death. What movie am I talking about? FINAL DESTINATION? Or SOLE SURVIVOR, which came out 17 years earlier?

Nothing is original. So I don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mortal_Remains View Post
                    Sometimes when I approach a new script, I find myself heavily influenced by some of my favorite films, which often stops me in my tracks and makes me reevaluate the story I want to tell.

This reevaluation tends to deep six a lot of concepts before they have a chance to get out of the gate. Which leads me to the question. What qualifies the term original and unoriginal in your eyes?

Star wars was beloved the world over and became the first film to kick start the summer blockbuster. But it's influences run deep. Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, Dam Busters, Flash Gordon, The searchers etc...

The Matrix was heavily influenced by Neuromancer, Ghost in the shell, Terminator, Various kung fu movies etc...

Avatar was influenced by Pocahontas, John Carter of mars etc...

These movies are highly successful yet wear their influences on their sleeves with pride. Would these movies be considered original or Unoriginal?

I feel it's never a bad thing to borrow heavily from source material as long as the ingredients make for something new yet familiar at the same time. What do you guys think?

Embrace the obvious. Don't let cliche block you. See http://www.scriptmag.com/2011/12/09/...n-from-cliche/
                    Story Structure 1
                    Story Structure 2
                    Story Structure 3

Comment

Working...
                    X