Machete= non-stop action and over the top violence
    OR
    The American = super suave action thriller
    OR go soft with
    Going the Distance

pick one or choose another
    results on tuesday

Re: Weekend Prediction

Machete, for sure. Going the Distance will open soft and The American will flop(though it does look promising).

Comment

1. Going The Distance
      2. Machete
      3. The American

Comment

Machete will take top spot.

Comment

MACHETE's too violent to get past $15M. GOING THE DISTANCE is getting poor word of mouth. Clooney's a wildcard. I'm going out on a limb. Based on the success of SALT, I'm gonna say spy-related thriller THE AMERICAN will take top spot.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Machette will rule the weekend, no doubt. Being an 8 year veteran of HSX, I just know these things. lol.

Comment

The Switch will come out of nowhere to surprise everybody. Book it!!
              The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

The interesting thing is this is an all R-Rated, Labor Day weekend.

That's rare.

This makes the potential audience cut and dry unlike PG-13 offerings that mixes things up.

Machete is the obvious choice to take top spot due to hype & controversy... But sometimes what looks like a lock is too specialized for a larger audience.

Consider it's the end of summer and older movie goers looking for "a slower pace with a familiar face" will be drawn to The American.

Those who want to laugh and just escape for a few hours will gravitate toward Going the Distance, regardless of how bad it may be (a lot of movies we cinefiles find bad the general public like because they aren't so critical).

Hmm...

I'll go with The American, Going The Distance and Machete in that order based on counter-programming. If Machete wins, I won't be surprised, but if it doesn't this is why.
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

1. The American

2. Going The Distance

3. Machete

Comment

Machete will win, for sure. It has that "fun factor" that people love, especially in the wake of Piranha and Expendables.

Going the Distance will be second. A lot of people like romantic comedies, but this one lacks a cast as strong as Machete.

The American will be last in this list simply because the advertising has failed to explain what the god damn story is, and it looks excruciatingly ordinary and not special at all by proxy...George is an American, in another country. He kills people, apparently, and people are trying to kill him. Is that really it? Because that's all we got.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                      Who will win out in the labor day weekend box office success:
                      Machete= non-stop action and over the top violence
                      OR
                      The American = super suave action thriller
                      OR go soft with
                      Going the Distance

pick one or choose another
                      results on tuesday
                      Machete at 18m
                      Going the distance at 14m
                      American at 12m

I think it's going to be a low performing weekend though I must root for LaTulippe and his partner in crime Neustadter because they are genuinely funny human beings. The bit with Neustadter at the "Ms. Cougar" awards was absolutely classic.

Comment

MACHETE.

I think AMERICAN will tank as soon is word is out that it's a slow paced serious drama instead of the thriller they are selling it as, and DISTANCE has zero hook and looks generic (at best) - why would I want to watch a rom-com that has no story?

Strange, because I would think the end of summer would have a better selection - all of these are small movies.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Geoff is also a genuinely nice person. Even though I want to see Machete kick ass, I can't help but hope GTD takes the weekend.

Maybe it'll be a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                            1. Going The Distance
                            2. Machete
                            3. The American
                            Like Doubler said... and let's hope so for Geoff!
                            Still, if The American shows well and has some legs (despite the flaws) then it could be a good sign for many of us writers, I believe.
                            Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

All of you are daft! Nanny McPhee has been lurking in the bottom half of the top 10 just waiting for the holiday weekend. That's why all the new big releases are rated R. They don't dare go up against her head-on.

"When you do not want me, but need me, then I must stay" at the top of the box office...

Okay, maybe not. But my wife's seen it twice already... Ya never know...

Comment

Working...
                              X