No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weekend Prediction

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    I call it 'the new generic crime flick with Stringer Bell from The Wire in it'.
    That's more like it.
    "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
    - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
      I think we can all agree that Danny Trejo has one ugly mug. but it's a charming kinda mug. I like him, believe it or not.
      I guarantee you when he was in San Quentin he had a conversation with another inmate that went something like this...

TREJO
      You're my bitch now, homes.

INMATE
      (looks at his mug)
      Okay.

FADE OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Greenwood View Post
        But seriously, nobody is calling Takers "that new Hayden Christenson flick."
        I think most people are forgetting Hayden is even in it. Granted, I can't speak for the teen girl crowd.
        "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
        ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
          I call it 'the new generic crime flick with Stringer Bell from The Wire in it'.
          Stringer Bell rules.

Comment

Yeah, but kinda lame for a much-hyped film from an A-list director, star-studded cast, that could only bring in 500k more than a two-week old movie with pretty bad main-stream reviews.

I really wanted to see Machete knock it out the park.

Not to mention Takers took in a better per-screen average on 460 less screens.
            Yeah but it's also a strong R-rated exploitation film with a highly controversial and polarizing theme. Also, that "star studded" label would only really cover Robert DeNiro and Michelle Rodriguez. With them you have a veteran legend and a currently popular actress. But they were placed alongside a bit part actor (Trejo, however cool he may be), a couple of has-beens (Seagal and Johnson), a sex symbol who can't sell a film (Alba), and a trainwreck socialite that most people are sick of hearing about/seeing (Lohan).

They also didn't market it much to the mainstream audience. So it had a lot stacked against it. For all of those reasons, I think it did pretty darn well, considering.

Comment

Notice the first person to pick THE AMERICAN to win? Me.

I win! One ta' nothin'!

I'd also like to quote Biohazard from Post #10:

"The American will be last in this list ..."

Seems you aren't as all knowing as I thought, BioH...

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
                Yeah but it's also a strong R-rated exploitation film with a highly controversial and polarizing theme. Also, that "star studded" label would only really cover Robert DeNiro and Michelle Rodriguez. With them you have a veteran legend and a currently popular actress. But they were placed alongside a bit part actor (Trejo, however cool he may be), a couple of has-beens (Seagal and Johnson), a sex symbol who can't sell a film (Alba), and a trainwreck socialite that most people are sick of hearing about/seeing (Lohan).

They also didn't market it much to the mainstream audience. So it had a lot stacked against it. For all of those reasons, I think it did pretty darn well, considering.
                It's going to make back it's production budget on domestic box office alone. That is a success.

Comment

Budget was $20m, so MACHETE kind of fits the horror remake model - make the film for $15-20m, finish the domestic run with around $50m... then the DVD sells to your loyal audience who still seem to be buying DVDs when the general public are not.

I think the weekend's lesson is that generic looking rom-coms without an original hook are not going to attract much of an audience.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Danny Trejo had naked NAKED sex scenes with Maggie Gyllenhaal in Sherrybaby. At first it was whoa whoa whoa whatda?...but then you get used to them and it's kinda' hot in a fvcked up way.
                    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
                      It's going to make back it's production budget on domestic box office alone. That is a success.
                      Oh I know, and agree and am very happy about that! International box office and DVD sales will likely be almost pure profit and that's nothing to scoff at. Still though it would have been nice to see a bigger opening just to show Hollywood more proof that people want ORIGINALITY. Ah well.

Comment

As I've mentioned before, I have NO doubt Machete will make a profit. But while it "patterned" itself after those grainy little-known Grindhouse flicks of the 70s, it was by no means built to do "70s grindhouse" numbers. If that were the case, the budget would've been more like 5 mil and/or straight to arthouse/DVD.

The tell is the number of theatres they released it in. The studio wouldn't have put it in 2,670 plus theatres to do less than 20 opening weekend against weak competition.

I think the lesson this entire summer is that Hollywood might want take its head from its own arse a bit and make sure every-day folks in places like Kansas, Michigain, and Tennessee are abreast about a decent film like Machete instead of just what's being said on "niche" websites and Rodeo drive.

There have been some collossal marketing failures this year. Even Jonah Hex (my favorite hollywood chew-toy) didn't deserve the failure it experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                          Budget was $20m, so MACHETE kind of fits the horror remake model - make the film for $15-20m, finish the domestic run with around $50m... then the DVD sells to your loyal audience who still seem to be buying DVDs when the general public are not.

I think the weekend's lesson is that generic looking rom-coms without an original hook are not going to attract much of an audience.

- Bill
                          I still can't figure out what they were thinking with that one.

Even if you have an "original hook", audiences are just tired of the vanilla Julia Roberts rom-com formula (unless it actually stars Julia Roberts -- and nowadays THAT's not even a given.)

You can only feed a demographic sh!t for so long before they start to realize it's sh!t. At least stand back and give them some time to digest the sh!t and forget that it is sh!t for a while and come back later with the same sh!t with whipped cream on top.

Men stopped going for that typical 80s-style, muscle man, mindless actioner in the 90s because it became so dull and predictable. Hollywood abandoned it and was only able to do it again recently with Expendables and A-Team. And even they had to throw in the kitchen sink to be profitable.

Women aren't going to just drag their boyfriends (or female friends) to anything hollywood blatantly labels a "chick flick" anymore.

I saw at least three seperate groups of 3 or more women when I went to see Inception. Like anyone else -- they just want a good movie to see.

Comment

I think the lesson this entire summer is that Hollywood might want take its head from its own arse a bit and make sure every-day folks in places like Kansas, Michigain, and Tennessee are abreast about a decent film like Machete instead of just what's being said on "niche" websites and Rodeo drive.

There have been some collossal marketing failures this year.
                            I agree.

When Machete held it's press conference in LA, it focused almost entirely on the Latin media and genre outlets (movie news sites like JoBlo, CinemaBlend, etc). And that's great, but mainstream media was almost entirely ignored. And when a few mainstream media outlets (Access Hollywood, ET, etc) did speak of Machete, it was all about Lohan's nonsense, so most people didn't even know what Machete was, other than "Lindsay Lohan's first movie since getting out of jail." when in fact she had a very small cameo, and a rather forgettable one and pointless arc at that. I don't mind her, but she's PROVEN box office poison, so when the only thing the average joe hears about Machete is the name Lindsay Lohan....it's screwed. Sure, FOX couldn't control what the media focused on, but when they didn't get the rest of the cast out there and didn't promote the movie itself worth a flip, what did they expect to happen?

I mean sheesh, only three cast members made talk show appearances. Jessica Alba did Letterman, Michelle Rodriguez was on Lopez Tonight, and Don Johnson swung by Craig Ferguson. That was it. No other bookings for them nor the numerous other cast members. No Ellen, Leno, Fallon, Lately, Kimmel, Stewart, nor morning talk shows like The View, Good Morning America, Today, nothing. Aside from Michelle Rodriguez on a local LA station anyway. Big whoop.

I think FOX really dropped the ball on this one and relied far too heavily on social media, genre movie blogs, and the latin audience, all of which are very valuable but not where the bulk of the money will come from, completely ignoring the mainstream media and middle america. It's ironic, most movies foolishly ignore those very demographics, but Machete focused solely on them and ignored the rest. Why can't anyone ever do both?! Who knows, maybe they thought it was pointless to try for more of an audience due to the "controversial" subject, but they didn't even seem to try, so they can't complain about the less than stellar opening. I however, can. So I will....

It should have done better darn it! It was SO much fun.

Comment

I long for the day when success of a consumer product is not measured in dollar signs...but my dreams aren't even that fucked up.

I honestly think we have a better chance of seeing Ernest Borgnine do a cartwheel on the surface of the moon wearing nothing but his birthday suit and a WWI kaiser helmet singing Clang Clang Clang Went the Trolley.

Comment

Instead always playing armchair studio boss (or screenwriter, or director, etc.) we should also focus on what Machete did right.

Machete is clearly a genre/niche film... And it had a budget that reflected this.

This is why I feel the more important lesson Hollywood should take away from Machete's modest success is allocating the appropriate budget for the appropriate material... More than how, or how not to market something (because Hollywood since the 1970s has been solely focused on marketing and not enough on the actual product its producing).

If half the films this summer did the smart thing and were made for a lot less due to their subject/genre, they too would be profitable instead of flops. I'm referring to films like "Scott Pilgrim" and the like, not tentpoles like "Inception", or "Iron Man 2".

This also why "The American" is going to come out the LDW winner in more ways than one.
                                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Working...
                                X