No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Had a bit to drink. Bear with me

As a counterpoint:

My previous agent signed me just after a bad ankle injury. He was using a cane at my first lunch with him. He made a push for me, but a few weeks after that he had corrective surgery that didn't go well. As a result he released all of his clients to take several months off for further surgeries and recovery. He called and/or emailed his clients and apologized. He was hopeful that he would be back but gave us written releases to move on because he wanted us to be successful in his absence.

That's how a pro does it when they have serious personal issues.

HTH,
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
      As a counterpoint:

My previous agent signed me just after a bad ankle injury. He was using a cane at my first lunch with him. He made a push for me, but a few weeks after that he had corrective surgery that didn't go well. As a result he released all of his clients to take several months off for further surgeries and recovery. He called and/or emailed his clients and apologized. He was hopeful that he would be back but gave us written releases to move on because he wanted us to be successful in his absence.

That's how a pro does it when they have serious personal issues.

HTH,
      That's truly awesome.

In my case, there wasn't the slightest indication of "serious personal issues" with my rep.

Comment

I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and to be fair this will not come across as being nice. While I empathize with your situation -- hell, I've been there more times than I can count -- I can't help but be put off by how you're dealing with your frustration. We all go through this sh*t on our way up, but how you handle these situations is what will make or break you. You're going to face a lot more frustrating situations than this, but the trick is to let that sh*t roll off your back, and do something about it.

Now is it unprofessional of her for doing what she did? Absolutely. Should you be angry about it. F*ck yes! But I have to be honest, the tone of some of your posts (this and others regarding a similar situation) comes off as self-pitying and borderline desperate. That could be my interpretation, but I don't think that's the case. This business is full of disappointing people who promise one thing, and then do another. I remember a general with an exec that I thought went great. Good conversation, found common ground, and we talked extensively about a project he was thinking about that I completely sparked to. I was chomping at the bit to develop it with them, and he was excited to get started. And after a couple of follow-ups, nothing. I was pissed at him for never responding, even to my standard "thanks for meeting with me" email. Turns out the guy's just a douche. I shrugged it off as a learning experience, and I let it go. And that was that.

While this situation sucks, there are really only two ways you can handle this. You can come here and seek sympathy in the form of advice, or you can do something about it. And by doing something, that means firing her immediately and finding another manager. Of course, you're going to find your new manager with a fresh piece of material, and not the one that the current manager has already seen. And if that means you need to take time to write a new script, so be it. I was without a manager for almost three years when I fired my last one. I kept developing new material, became a finalist in a top contest, began developing other scripts with a producer, and then that producer helped me get my current manager, who's been a f*cking rock star and without doubt the best rep I've had. I went through lots of low moments along the way, but I kept churning out scripts, getting notes from my writers group, and most importantly I never let the bullsh*t bother me.

So there you go. Take from this what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
          I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and to be fair this will not come across as being nice. While I empathize with your situation -- hell, I've been there more times than I can count -- I can't help but be put off by how you're dealing with your frustration. We all go through this sh*t on our way up, but how you handle these situations is what will make or break you. You're going to face a lot more frustrating situations than this, but the trick is to let that sh*t roll off your back, and do something about it.

Now is it unprofessional of her for doing what she did? Absolutely. Should you be angry about it. F*ck yes! But I have to be honest, the tone of some of your posts (this and others regarding a similar situation) comes off as self-pitying and borderline desperate. That could be my interpretation, but I don't think that's the case. This business is full of disappointing people who promise one thing, and then do another. I remember a general with an exec that I thought went great. Good conversation, found common ground, and we talked extensively about a project he was thinking about that I completely sparked to. I was chomping at the bit to develop it with them, and he was excited to get started. And after a couple of follow-ups, nothing. I was pissed at him for never responding, even to my standard "thanks for meeting with me" email. Turns out the guy's just a douche. I shrugged it off as a learning experience, and I let it go. And that was that.

While this situation sucks, there are really only two ways you can handle this. You can come here and seek sympathy in the form of advice, or you can do something about it. And by doing something, that means firing her immediately and finding another manager. Of course, you're going to find your new manager with a fresh piece of material, and not the one that the current manager has already seen. And if that means you need to take time to write a new script, so be it. I was without a manager for almost three years when I fired my last one. I kept developing new material, became a finalist in a top contest, began developing other scripts with a producer, and then that producer helped me get my current manager, who's been a f*cking rock star and without doubt the best rep I've had. I went through lots of low moments along the way, but I kept churning out scripts, getting notes from my writers group, and most importantly I never let the bullsh*t bother me.

So there you go. Take from this what you will.
          This is how I take it: I'm not. I've been at this for over 15 years and am not seeking sympathy, as you do charmingly stated. I have every right to be pissed off. I've been a finalist in several contents, only to realize that they don't mean ****. Neither do your comments so please, keep them To yourself. Good luck with your "rock star.-

Comment

That escalated quickly dot gif

Comment

Wellll, in all fairness, Docgonzo does have a point in that you do tend to come on here at points of existential crisis to relate how this producer stiffed you or that manager let you down. And yes many of us have been there. The sense I get is that none of the situations you've been in has ever been one where you are truly supported and championed and respected by the people you're working with, and that is truly unfortunate.

I understand all too well the sense of validation that one gets from saying "my manager" or "the producer attached to my script" and how it can feel so promising that one is reluctant to admit it's not working and move on. I've had multiple situations much like those you've described over time, and here I am after 25 scripts or so and 25 years unrepped, unknown, still on the outside looking in.

If and when we ever get into a situation where it's more than just kind words and inaction, I think we'll know it, based on what people so fortunate have experienced and shared in these forums. Hopefully we'll get to experience that level of ACTUAL career support and interest some day. But until then it's just soldiering on.
              Last edited by muckraker; 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                Sorry for the typos but I was on my phone and pissed.

Yes. It escalated quickly because, in the many years I've been on this site, the snarky a$$holes have multiplied like cockroaches. Some people just can't help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                  Wellll, in all fairness, Docgonzo does have a point in that you do tend to come on here at points of existential crisis to relate how this producer stiffed you or that manager let you down. And yes many of us have been there. The sense I get is that none of the situations you've been in has ever been one where you are truly supported and championed and respected by the people you're working with, and that is truly unfortunate.

I understand all too well the sense of validation that one gets from saying "my manager" or "the producer attached to my script" and how it can feel so promising that one is reluctant to admit it's not working and move on. I've had multiple situations much like those you've described over time, and here I am after 25 scripts or so and 25 years unrepped, unknown, still on the outside looking in.

If and when we ever get into a situation where it's more than just kind words and inaction, I think we'll know it, based on what people so fortunate have experienced and shared in these forums. Hopefully we'll get to experience that level of ACTUAL career support and interest some day. But until then it's just soldiering on.
                  If Docgonzo had a point, he might have presented in a way that wasn't offensive. But, that said, that would probably take too much thought.
                  Thanks for your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
                    Yeah, it did. Lol.

Look, I'm not trying to piss you off, and I'm definitely not trying to brag about my own situation, which far from where I want it to be. But this isn't the first time I've seen a post like this from you. And I'm sorry that you're in this predicament, but I wanted to give you a different view from what everyone else was giving you. I've been in your shoes, so I know that it sucks. I get that. And of course you have a right to be pissed. I said as much. I'm just curious to know what you want from this. Do you want advice, or just to vent? I can't really tell. But if it's advice you seek, then allow me to give you one simple piece: fire her today, because she's doing you no good. You're better off without her.

Which brings me to my point about my current manager, which was to show that there are better things out there waiting for you. It's scary to be without someone in your corner -- again, something I know all too well-- but sometimes the best thing you can do is cut bad people loose and be on your own. I had my previous manager for all of three months. I realized pretty quickly that he sucked, and then I spent three years without one. It was hard, but in hindsight the right move given what I have now.

But apparently you took the point the wrong way. Certainly not the way I intended anyway.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by docgonzo; 05-10-2019, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I agree with most of what Doc is saying -- but i knew as soon as he mentioned the tone of your posts, it was going to be impossible for the 99% of the rest of what he said to be heard.

Margo is very upset right now, so she can't hear you Doc. But maybe she will in a month. A year.

I've been there too. When my wife gets angry at work and I take the other side of the arugment or try to think logically -- she's like -- just listen and agree with me. I get that too. Sometimes all we want is to be heard and agreed with.

So Doc is right and Margo isn't looking for that advice quite yet.

That's why having learned a little in my time from my wife... and friends... not just a female thing by any means... I tried to slightly give the other side of the argument that maybe your manager did have a good reason and maybe this situation can be used to your advantage.

Margo -- have you talked to your manager since this post? Any contact from her?

Again, I 100% read Doc's words as helpful and I (and he) knew he would get yelled at for it. So I applaud this because a good friend listens to you and agrees with you. But a great friend tells you that your boyfriend is a loser and your sweater is ugly and your script sucks out of love of course.

I'm 75% I made it worse, but that 25% chance is worth it for me.

I'm on both your sides. And I truly feel Doc and everyone on this thread was trying to help Margo. I sincerely do.

I was repped by 3 managers (same firm) last time I was repped. 2 in LA , 1 in NYC. The 2 in LA both left for different companies and I found this out from a friend, not them. They never told me. When I asked the other manger and agent, they both acted like I was the jerk for even mentioning it. So 4 people all failed to even bother to mention we are leaving. So that's... yeah fun. And that's my happy rep story...

Comment

I get it, guys. I'm not angry. Not at you, anyway. Most likely, I will be moving on and going it alone as I have no problem doing that. If I find someone, great. I'm still my own best promoter. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Amanda and others,

Had a brief fling with a "manager/producer/financier" type. At first, I was so flattered to be contacted by such a master of the universe. It was all too good to be true - I'd been discovered and finally on my way to the Red Carpet or at least to Pink's for a celebratory hotdog and a payday!

This warm and fuzzy feeling soon faded. She packaged my passion project, a harsh and gritty Western with a strong female lead, with a teenage amateur videographer in Perth - the out back of the out back. His sizzle reel was 15 seconds of him being licked by his dog.

Frustrated, but not broken, I fired my manager and went the self-publishing route which is surprisingly easy. Using Vellum software, I translated my Western (and others) into a novella of about 22,500 words. Vellum allowed me to introduce limited graphic elements which helped beef up my not-so-wordy spartan prose. Heck, even my paid UK proofreader enjoyed the final results and said she wanted to read the sequel.

For the benefit of those uninitiated in self-publishing, there are about 400 titles a day uploaded on Amazon. These add up quickly. In a month, my new title was at the bottom of a stack of 12,000 newer titles. Some better, some worse than mine, but still a buncha words. The point being, self-publishing is not the silver bullet to escape the digital tsunami of unsolicited content most of us struggle to overcome.

So shake it off, good luck and try again.

John

Comment

I once had a literary agent who did pretty much the same thing, except that after I waited eight months to see if he'd read my novel (by then I'd published four of them, repped by another agent who'd left the business), he said he'd forgotten about it completely. Then he did it again. He's not my agent anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by x32792 View Post
                              Amanda and others,

Had a brief fling with a "manager/producer/financier" type. At first, I was so flattered to be contacted by such a master of the universe. It was all too good to be true - I'd been discovered and finally on my way to the Red Carpet or at least to Pink's for a celebratory hotdog and a payday!

This warm and fuzzy feeling soon faded. She packaged my passion project, a harsh and gritty Western with a strong female lead, with a teenage amateur videographer in Perth - the out back of the out back. His sizzle reel was 15 seconds of him being licked by his dog.

Frustrated, but not broken, I fired my manager and went the self-publishing route which is surprisingly easy. Using Vellum software, I translated my Western (and others) into a novella of about 22,500 words. Vellum allowed me to introduce limited graphic elements which helped beef up my not-so-wordy spartan prose. Heck, even my paid UK proofreader enjoyed the final results and said she wanted to read the sequel.

For the benefit of those uninitiated in self-publishing, there are about 400 titles a day uploaded on Amazon. These add up quickly. In a month, my new title was at the bottom of a stack of 12,000 newer titles. Some better, some worse than mine, but still a buncha words. The point being, self-publishing is not the silver bullet to escape the digital tsunami of unsolicited content most of us struggle to overcome.

So shake it off, good luck and try again.

John
                              Very interesting. (And funny!) Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
                                Very interesting. (And funny!) Thank you.
                                The word schadenfreude comes to mind. Happy to hear you enjoyed it. That's the only voice I have.
                                Last edited by x32792; 05-14-2019, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X