X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Girls Productions query letter mailing

Has anyone ever seen this or tried this service from this website:

smartg.com/screenplay-query-letters/

It seems they cherry pick 75 production companies out of thousands they have listed for you to send query letters to for your screenplay based on its logline and synopsis. I am considering trying it once I can afford it.

Re: Smart Girls Productions query letter mailing

Hell no, don't do this.

H-wood doesn't take query "letters" they take query emails, sometimes. But not letters. If these idiots don't even know that, then how would they actually know how to research the companies that might want your script? They won't.

And for 450 dollars, no less. I call bullsh!t.

Like all things, if you want it done right, do it yourself. There are few shortcuts.

And the fact that they are calling themselves "smart girls" is laughable. Dumb greedy beotches, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Hell no, don't do this.

H-wood doesn't take query "letters" they take query emails, sometimes. But not letters. If these idiots don't even know that, then how would they actually know how to research the companies that might want your script? They won't.

And for 450 dollars, no less. I call bullsh!t.

Like all things, if you want it done right, do it yourself. There are few shortcuts.

And the fact that they are calling themselves "smart girls" is laughable. Dumb greedy beotches, maybe.
      Ditto this. There's no reason to spend $450 on this kind of bullshit. They prolly aren't even girls.

figment's right. Do not do this. You can get a 30 day free trial of IMDBpro and buy a membership here and do the research. All it costs you is your time and like $29/year. I actually don't remember the fee. Will?

Always check here first. We'll steer you right. You can literally get every thing you need for free.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

let's just say i know a former employee of Smart Girls and he/she would not pay the money for their services (query or consult). it's not a scam per se but they're not relying upon anything other than publicly available information. the supposed value add is in tailoring a (long) query letter specifically to the writer and their script with matching addressed and stamped envelopes but snail mail and anything more than a logline and maybe a little blurb about the writer by email is all you need now.

Comment

DO NOT LISTEN TO figment nor FA4!!! This service is totally legit!!!

I'm fukking JOKING!

My god this is some bullsh!t. Dude... how many typos can one idiot scam artist have in one page? And don't the redundancies SCREAM RUN to you!? Obviously you don't trust these people or you'd already have sent them your $450. #1 rule of the industry: NEVER PAY MONEY!

Honestly, your gonna get screwed if you don't learn how better to instantly spot these fake promises as absolutely bullsh!t.

CLUE 1: The use of the word HOLLYWOOD in the header.

CLUE 2: The garbage website design. Clearly it's some cheap template from a billion years ago.

CLUE 3: Letters? What in Gods holy hell?

Clue 4: The incessant begging for your money while basically calling you a pu$$y if you don't use them.

CLUE 5: Office, office, office!!! CALL OUR OFFICE!!! Did I tell you WE HAVE AN OFFICE???!!!! Google mapped their OFFICE. Just as I friggin thought... it's a fukkin PO BOX. [link below].......... There's NO OFFICE!

CLUE 6: The incessant use of the word ***DREAM*** No one in the actual industry has ever used that word to describe this business.

CLUE 7: PHD??? DUDE WHAT???

CLUE 8: SIGNATURE....? Fukking WHAT???

I could keep shredding this idiot into infinity, but why waste my time any further...

POINT: I mean this in the nicest way (I'm yelling at them not you, I FUKKING DESPISE people taking advantage of artists), you're gonna have to get more skilled at spotting this BS from a billion miles away or you're gonna get fleeced time and again. I say this to you and any lurkers out there thinking of using these types of crooks.

Here's their fancy "OFFICE":

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1501...7i16384!8i8192

And here's CAA: (spot any differences?)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cr...4d-118.4149133

Ps... CAA has a helipad on the roof. Feel me? They ain't running it out of a PO BOX.
          Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

But, Gucci, they have "Parking Off Alley"! Must be a great service!

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
              But, Gucci, they have "Parking Off Alley"! Must be a great service!

Ha! Free parking?... WHERE DO I SIGN!

Comment

"Make Your Screenplay Better Than 90% Of The Scripts Submitted To Hollywood"

Not nearly good enough. Probably most people, HERE, write scripts "better than 90% of the scripts submitted to Hollywood", and they're still looking for agents or managers.

I don't want to pile on, Cynthia, but the only interest these folks have in you is if your money is any good.

There's a million of these scammers.

Does the site have even one claim of success -- even one sold and produced script? (Maybe they do, but I can't find any.)

RUN AWAY!
                "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2598959/..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
                    "Make Your Screenplay Better Than 90% Of The Scripts Submitted To Hollywood"

Not nearly good enough. Probably most people, HERE, write scripts "better than 90% of the scripts submitted to Hollywood", and they're still looking for agents or managers.
                    I'ma put it like this...

You gotta write A++ scripts or you're dead. A+ isn't good enough. Agreed, 90% ain't anywhere near good enough. Aim for 101% brilliant... then, once you hit that mark, watch how many people PASS.

Comment

What I always wondered is do they CC you so you at least see that some email was sent? And wouldn't anyone in the industry have blocked their email a long time ago?

Like I don't think I can query on gucci behalf. I'll try now...

I'm just curious if they even do anything... at all. Like literally. Anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                        What I always wondered is do they CC you so you at least see that some email was sent? And wouldn't anyone in the industry have blocked their email a long time ago?

Like I don't think I can query on gucci behalf. I'll try now...

I'm just curious if they even do anything... at all. Like literally. Anything.

I would TRY. Email on my behalf, bruh, maybe you'll get me a meting. WOOOT. Ha!

Seriously. DON'T!

But, seriously, I've been CC'd on a bunch'a emails. Interesting to see what people REALLY think.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                          But, seriously, I've been CC'd on a bunch'a emails. Interesting to see what people REALLY think.
                          Well, now I'm curious. Was it what they thought about a script your rep sent them of yours or just the manner in which they speak amongst themselves?

*(I know this is OT -- but we've pretty much answered the OP's question.)

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                            Well, now I'm curious. Was it what they thought about a script your rep sent them of yours or just the manner in which they speak amongst themselves?

*(I know this is OT -- but we've pretty much answered the OP's question.)

It was when my ex was repping me. She'd BCC me on all emails about my sh!t. So I got to see EXACTLY what people were saying about it without the filter to soften it. Mostly praise, but some ugly comments as well "Disaster!!!" That's all they said in the email. I'm like "Disaster???... seriously? Ain't that a bit harsh?" Same script got "Amazing!!!" days earlier from the Matrix producer. So I ignored the disaster note. Disaster??? You sure you read the right script?

Probably the worst note I've ever gotten. In that case your agent would tell you "Wasn't for them... moving on." They wouldn't actually give you the brutal note. Although, I would, if I knew my client could handle it. And I can.

But, yeah, while I was repped by my ex she'd just BCC me on everything.

Comment

Working...
                            X