Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quiet Place

although I'm not a big horror guy, this (fairly) zippy thriller about a society where aliens terrorize the human populace by honing in on sounds was pretty fun. a good example of "using the whole buffalo" in terms of exploiting the promise of the premise. it felt like there was a big logic hole in the ending and the "War of the Worlds" style problem-solve but the story doesn't really get deep into the world building and backstory of the aliens' arrival so . . . eh

Re: A Quiet Place

Me and the wife saw it yesterday. it was good. We had some comic relief in the beginning. A teenage girl thought it was a good idea to bring her DRUNK grandparents.

How did the family have electricity? Did I miss a generator or something?
    Last edited by ewtaylor; 04-08-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I really dug this film from a filmmaking standpoint. It's a bold thing to attempt to engage an audience these days with a story that plays out with almost no dialogue. I love the way Krasinski let the camera tell the story without the flash or ostentatious editing.

Storywise the first ten minutes almost took me out of the film due to a few questionable parental choices made by the husband and wife that I guess had to be there to get the plot going. Still had me rolling my eyes though.

Other than that, once it got going there was some genuinely tense moments that really engaged me. I thought this was a high concept executed at a high level.

Only other slight annoyance I had was seeing this movie in a theater with actual living people. You don't realize how noisy even our slightest movements can be until you watch a film with sequences that play out in total silence with no score or ambient noise. Every single movement from someone digging in their popcorn, or opening a candy wrapper, or shifting in a seat is amplified times 10.
      "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

I have one word or this film....brilliant!

I thought this was a very smart movie. Did it have a few inconsistencies? yes, but I could suspend disbelief easily with this film.

I thought Krasinski did a wonderful job directing. His real life wife Emily Blunt was a smart casting choice as it gave a "realistic relationship feel" to the married couple characters. I also feel the casting of the young girl who is really deaf in real life was a smart choice. Instead of her "acting deaf" she lent a "realness" to the part.

It was also shot beautifully. I think is was filmed on actual film, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

I love the fact that there was very little dialog. I read that the original script had only one line of dialog, but in the revisions they amped that up some to include more.

Spoilers below:

Keeping the creatures hidden throughout most of the film to the big reveal near the end, in my opinion, makes a great horror flick. I also liked the design of them where instead of just the "ear" area being the echolocation point they used their whole head in sections to "hear". I thought that was cool. (I personally love alien/monster/creature films and when they come up with something new I get very excited.)

I do agree that some of the parenting decisions in the beginning of the film were questionable. Especially with the smallest child. Who puts a toy and the batteries within the kid's reach after taking it away and then not keeping an eye on that kid? Come on, anyone who has been around children or has kids knows the temptation is too much for a little guy to just leave it there. Even though in the film the girl gave it back to him, he still grabbed those batteries. I understand the point of it all as far as the story goes, but for real?

Originally posted by David Palmer View Post
        You don't realize how noisy even our slightest movements can be until you watch a film with sequences that play out in total silence with no score or ambient noise. Every single movement from someone digging in their popcorn, or opening a candy wrapper, or shifting in a seat is amplified times 10.
        I didn't have this issue in my theatre. It seemed throughout the whole film the audience was holding it's breath as though they too would get "gotten" if they made a sound. Sorry you had a more noisy group to share this film with.

Comment

if the creatures reflexively respond to even the smallest sound, it's hard to believe they wouldn't be easily drawn out into the open by a "sound trap" and easy pickings for the military or hunters or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
            It was also shot beautifully. I think is was filmed on actual film, but I haven't confirmed that yet.
            Yes, it was shot on actual film stock. Good ole fashion Kodak. I often find myself staying through the credits just to see what something is originated on.
            I thought the use of 35mm really added to the feel of the movie.

There were a lot of wonderful choices made from the inception of this film from the casting to the design of the monsters as you pointed out. This was another one.

Spoilers below:

I do agree that some of the parenting decisions in the beginning of the film were questionable. Especially with the smallest child. Who puts a toy and the batteries within the kid's reach after taking it away and then not keeping an eye on that kid? Come on, anyone who has been around children or has kids knows the temptation is too much for a little guy to just leave it there. Even though in the film the girl gave it back to him, he still grabbed those batteries. I understand the point of it all as far as the story goes, but for real?
            Exactly! Not only did he sit the batteries right next to the toy shuttle, but he left him behind IN THE STORE. Ain't no way. I woulda had that little joker walking in front me within an arm's reach the whole way.
            "No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price... I will take my crown." -- Balon Greyjoy

Comment

The film was definitely enjoyable, but if I were to put on an analytical hat, it can be poked and prodded to the extent of making it less enjoyable. But only a cynic would do that. Well, I'll do it anyway

I've already seen questions about the son being left with the toy. Throughout his entire four years of life he's always been told "keep quiet," so why at this point does he turn on the noisy rocket and fly it around? I thought it would've played MUCH better if the toy accidentally came on and he dropped it in fear, a "what did I just do?" look while standing there like a deer caught in the headlights.

Who brings a noisy infant into a world predicated on silence? The baby was much too quiet.

The father was a bit of a tinkerer, why not set up elevated stereos designed to distract the monsters? Forget the fireworks, you could have remote controlled stereos hanging from tall trees in the forest.

The creatures hunt through sound, but that sense is easily manipulated. More to the point, I'm sure someone would've set a sound trap to hoard these things and then blow them up. I'm positive the military would've found ways to "injure" this sense. I thought of a dog whistle, but the story used a high frequency emitted by the hearing aid. You always try to do the opposite - if a creature hunts in the dark, try to blind it with light.

Toward the end of the film, things started happening to where the rules of the world were bent to ensure conflict. While the family was quiet, there was always an alien extremely close - the one in the basement, the one creeping up the stairs, the one on the roof (after the silo). What did the aliens want? Where was the rest of civilization?

Couldn't the family record sounds of water and then blare that in a constant loop while living in the house? Much better than living in fear of a sneeze or cough attracting the creatures.

All in all, it was an enjoyable film. I give it a 7/10.
              FADE IN:
              PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
              NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                I've already seen questions about the son being left with the toy. Throughout his entire four years of life he's always been told "keep quiet," so why at this point does he turn on the noisy rocket and fly it around? I thought it would've played MUCH better if the toy accidentally came on and he dropped it in fear, a "what did I just do?" look while standing there like a deer caught in the headlights.
                The kid had only been told to be quiet for 89 days. There are 2 timeframes listed during the film. At the beginning where the family is going thru the pharmacy/store there are white words on black that say "day 89". Then later when the mom is pregnant and the rest of the film happens it says "day 489". I think it's 489, not sure of the second timeframe but I know it's 400 and something because during the film I said to myself "The creatures have been on Earth over a year now." The first timeframe was 89 days so it was all still kinda new to people surviving.

Comment

One thing we don't know is how many creatures are on Earth? Are they scattered around the globe? Did just a couple land and the rest came from eggs?
                  If you notice, throughout the movie you see "Easter eggs" posted or written somewhere to give you the basics. One of those being they have some type of armor and are indestructible.

The end left an opening for a sequel. I think it will be similar to Aliens. The military has found the Queen and her nest. A group of bad-ass soldiers go in for the kill, but get slaughtered. It's up to the little girl (now grown) to finish the job.

Comment

Originally posted by ewtaylor View Post
                    The end left an opening for a sequel.
                    The family should hole-up on Dwight Schrute's beet farm in the next one.

Comment

Working...
                    X