X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Screenplay Mechanic (EvilRbt)

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
    I also use "pass w/ reservations" which means there were still some ideas, elements, etc. that worked. So that 90% were not completely devoid of positives.
    This is good to know. By the way, I have question that comes to mind with all this. I know from personal experience that you have a really great way of expressing your thoughts on flaws in a script. Your tone comes across as very helpful, insightful and of someone who really understands and respects screenwriting.

But what happens if the writing is truly bad? Do you find that you may loose some of your paying customers if you give them a straight "Pass"? In other words, will you try to protect someone's feelings by giving them a "Pass w/ reservations" instead of the "Pass" that their writing at that stage really deserves?
    Manfred Lopez Grem
    WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

As long as this thread has been resurrected, I'll put in a plug for Andrew.

As a working writer and producer, he has a very clear perspective on how your screenplay will be received by the industry.

http://www.screenplaymechanic.com/about.html

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
        This is good to know. By the way, I have question that comes to mind with all this. I know from personal experience that you have a really great way of expressing your thoughts on flaws in a script. Your tone comes across as very helpful, insightful and of someone who really understands and respects screenwriting.

But what happens if the writing is truly bad? Do you find that you may loose some of your paying customers if you give them a straight "Pass"? In other words, will you try to protect someone's feelings by giving them a "Pass w/ reservations" instead of the "Pass" that their writing at that stage really deserves?
        I make it clear to new clients that they should only come to me looking for feedback, as opposed to seeking a "consider" because some reps and producers will read material I like.

Clients come to me for different reasons too. Some aim to sell their work to studios, others want to go out and make their project as an indie, and a few just look at writing as a hobby.

I'll be honest in my feedback but it's not my place to say "throw out this idea" or "don't pursue screenwriting." My role is to offer a pragmatic assessment of the material's viability, but primarily to help improve the script and help the client become a better writer. So long as they continue making pictures like SHARKNADO, it's not my place to say you should abandon this idea and work on something else.

I never fear about giving a client a PASS. I've found that honesty is always the best policy. I did a brief stint with Script Shark and they never wanted readers to be completely honest. They wanted repeat business. I'd rather tell a client the truth and risk them not coming back. I won't blow smoke up their ass so they'll hire me again.

Does that all make sense?
        NOTES / COVERAGE
        15,000+ Screenplays
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
          I'd rather tell a client the truth and risk them not coming back. I won't blow smoke up their ass so they'll hire me again.

Does that all make sense?
          Yes it does. I believe that's exactly why you are constantly booked. I've gone through many analysts, and I believe your service is the best one I have found so far for the kind of screenplays I write. It's also very helpful that you have a huge frame of reference by having analyzed over 8,000 screenplays. That just boggles my mind.

In any case, if anyone is considering Drew I highly recommend him.
          Manfred Lopez Grem
          WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post

In any case, if anyone is considering Drew I highly recommend him.
            Thanks, man. I appreciate it.
            NOTES / COVERAGE
            15,000+ Screenplays
            [email protected]

Comment

Sure will be sad to see these forums go if that happens. Still hoping Will can pull a rabbit out of the hat and keep them alive.

Until we learn the fate of the boards, I wanted to invite folks to get in touch if they want to receive my email newsletters (w/ discounts etc.). Note, you won't receive more than a handful of emails per year. You can also follow my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/screenplaymechanic or my all-new Mechanic instagram page: https://instagram.com/p/BSVTAHSlZo4/

While I still have a few projects setup around town and may be joining a friend's company later this year to run his development department, I continue to read and get booked a few weeks out. If you want me to check out your work, book a spot and be aware I don't require your PDF or payment until the day before. I will read your work and send you my report within 24 hours.

Again, hoping this site stays alive for years to come!

Andrew
              [email protected]
              Last edited by EvilRbt; 04-01-2017, 07:59 AM.
              NOTES / COVERAGE
              15,000+ Screenplays
              [email protected]

Comment

Glad to see the forums are still alive and kicking! Let's keep it that way.

I'm busy with a project I'm producing (hopefully) and currently interviewing directors. Still hard at work with the "day job" though so if anyone wants to get on my schedule for a script read (or any other service, e.g. proofread) shoot me an email at [email protected]

And good luck to those clients who just entered the Nicholl, Page, etc!
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                15,000+ Screenplays
                [email protected]

Comment

Taking reservations for August. Shoot me an email to get on my schedule.

Everyone in the feature world will be on vacation in August, so whip your spec into shape in time for September.
                  NOTES / COVERAGE
                  15,000+ Screenplays
                  [email protected]

Comment

I'm doing a DVD giveaway of a feature doc I was Co-EP on a couple of years ago. It's called WHY WE RIDE and if you love motorcycles it's a must-see film.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2960470/

Between now and Sept 31st, you can qualify to win a copy on DVD in three different ways:

1. Use any of my services.
                    2. Refer a friend (make sure they give me your name)
                    3. Write a review of my service on Facebook

I'll select the winner on Oct 1st.
                    NOTES / COVERAGE
                    15,000+ Screenplays
                    [email protected]

Comment

A few folks have asked if there's still a DD discount.

Yes there is...

Notes-Only is $109 (normally $119)
                      Cover page (log line, box score, etc.).
                      2 pages of evaluation/feedback/constructive notes.

Notes-Only Plus is $135 (normally $150)
                      3 pages of evaluation/feedback/constructive notes.

Studio-Style Coverage $175 (normally $199)
                      2 page synopsis.
                      2 pages of evaluation/feedback/constructive notes.

Full Development Notes $285 (normally $349)
                      Detailed notes (4-6 pages approx.)
                      Specific page notes/typos (1-4 pages approx.)
                      NOTES / COVERAGE
                      15,000+ Screenplays
                      [email protected]

Comment

I love when my clients share their success stories. In 2013, I read a script for client Lena Kahn, entitled THE TIGER HUNTER, and I gave it a "Consider w/ reservations." I recently discovered Lena produced the movie and it will be released next month. So congrats, Lena!

The Tiger Hunter (Official Trailer)

"This is a sweet and amusing story of a young Indian immigrant trying to pursue the American dream in 1979 Chicago. This isn't a Bollywood picture and there's no singing and dancing (a good thing in terms of broad international appeal), only a sincere and often very funny exploration of one young man chasing happiness in a country he sorely wants to make his own. It's not perfect and it can be reinforced in a few areas, but even as-written it's absolutely worth a look."
                        NOTES / COVERAGE
                        15,000+ Screenplays
                        [email protected]

Comment

While that is certainly a success story for the writer, I do not know if someone self producing material is a success story for the consultant. Have you ever read something that needed a ton of work that the writer got into good shape with the help of your notes that they then sold?

I understand that studios used to use the Pass, Consider, and Recommend scale for coverage. Some people have used consider with reservations. How common is that grade for you? Consider with reservations was usually given to material that was better than a B but not quite an A, so a B+. How often are you being handed B+ work from amateurs?

Comment

I don't post that to take any credit whatsoever. It's a success story for the client, not me. Hence I said "their success story." It's also an excuse to post their trailer.

Plenty of clients have optioned, sold, or had material produced. I read for some pros too. I recently had a director ask me to read a script and give my thoughts the night before he started shooting. I regularly get emails from clients who place well in contests and thank me for my help. But I also keep a certain level of confidentiality.

Some producers come to me asking for specific types of material. Others will read anything I recommend.

I've helped writers get repped and put some up for assignments.

But I don't advertise this. I don't want folks coming to me with the hope I'll pass their work onto a mgr or producer.

As for your question about "consider w/ res," I give that rating maybe 5% of the time and I read 350-400 per year.

Hey, pro readers aren't for everyone. Some rail against paying for notes. I get it. But there are several really good ones out there who genuinely help writers.
                            NOTES / COVERAGE
                            15,000+ Screenplays
                            [email protected]

Comment

You give about 95% of people that send you scripts a pass? I was just curious if you never gave the grade of a pass even though the script is an obvious pass based on Hollywood standards. I'm sure no writer wants to see that their script is a pass, consider with reservations has some hope attached to it for the writer to cling to, cause telling someone 'pass' may make them quit on the script or quit writing in general.

I read material that you also read for someone, it was in pretty rough shape based on my standards even though I do not do the pass, consider, recommend thing, the writer was able to make the assessment that I thought the material was in rough shape and needed a makeover. After we discussed my notes by email I asked to see the notes of anyone else who had read it, the notes they sent me were from you. You gave it a 'consider with reservations' that's why I asked about how often you give out that grade.

Comment

What is the name of the material? When I use "consider w/ reservations" it means the script is not a total loss IMO. There are multiple positives and it's worth developing. Maybe not at the studio level, but I have clients writing at every budget level so I don't just judge material by studio standards.

I'm not going to bat .1000 but I'd politely ask that you don't question my integrity.

If you don't want to reveal the title here, totally cool, just pm or email me. Happy to discuss this further. Or have the writer reach out to me.
                                NOTES / COVERAGE
                                15,000+ Screenplays
                                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                X